The new Retina Macbook Pro - screen issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thealmightygoat, Mar 29, 2013.

1. thealmightygoat macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know if the the screen issues associated with the retina MBPs (ghosting, checkerboard-ing etc) were resolved in the February update?

Ty

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The issues are unfortunately not solved completely. Some have received 2013s with LG screens that have IR.

3. thealmightygoat thread starter macrumors newbie

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Why do you think this? What is in a few days?

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

He's just a spammer trying to put something semi-relevant so his signature can get 10 clicks.

6. Exana macrumors regular

I'am gonna buy an other MacBook Pro Retina, if I got a LG screen is it safe to send it back to Apple until a got a Samsung one !? When I buy my first one, it was an LG panel witch works fine for month and one day, it starts showing ghosting effects.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

That is not ok. Do you have a 13" or 15"? If you want a 13", there is so way to tell what screen you have. Just use it as regularly, and if you see ghosting, you can bring it in. On the 15", you can see what brand it is. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I have an LG, this is awful." Just use it as you would normally--and then notice IR (maybe). Don't try to find IR first.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The vast majority of screens don't IR. There were some early 2012 units with an issue. The LGs currently being built are rev 2.

You will have a long wait if you wait for a Laptop guaranteed to have no issues or will not break. :) My LG doesn't have a hint of IR.

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

How long have you had it? I hear it develops over time in many cases.

10. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

I spoke to a guy in the :apple: store a couple of days ago who said a lot of the IR issues were caused by a firmware issue that had now been solved... First I've heard of that! Any thoughts anyone?

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

HA! IR is a physical issue with the screen itself and has nothing to do with software or firmware.

The guy was making stuff up.

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yeah and I hear that LG IR is something that was blown out off proportion by a few early adopters. Not sure what I can believe that I hear on the internet :)

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Glad you've had no problems. Hope it stays that way!

14. Mackan macrumors 65816

Uhm, yeah. Now, wait for it...

Here it is... Stated as a fact.

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Just shut my 2 day old 15" refurb down and it had the dock and some other things ghosting on the screen. Is that a problem??

16. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Yep. I got my 15" retina when they first came out. When the issue of IR was first mentioned I checked and confirmed that I have an LG screen and tried to detect IR but I couldn't find even the slightest hint of it.

Now, about 9 months on, and the IR is really bad so yes, it does/can develop over time.

17. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Wrong.

2013 MBPr with LG, rev 1.

18. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Is the 2013 model really a rev 2? Besides spec bumps, has anything changed internally to warrant the tag 'rev 2'?

19. B... macrumors 68000

B...

There were some internal changes but the result is unclear. Many have still had problems.

20. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

That's what I thought. He said it was because the screen wasn't refreshing fast enough. I didn't ask him why the image would change at all if it wasn't refreshing... :rolleyes:

21. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

How do I check for IR and ghosting?

22. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Just use the computer normally, and if you see a shadow of the previous screen when you switch screens, you have a defective panel.

23. Bokes macrumors 6502

I have a retina on order and made sure to get confirmation from Apple about replacing a screen with IR.
    I asked 3 different customer reps. Two in Apple store and one on phone.
    Each rep assured me- if I have any issue with the screen Apple will absolutely replace it for up to a year. If you buy Apple care they will cover it for 3 years.

So IMO- IR is not a worry.
    If you get it- you get a brand new screen.

24. Exana macrumors regular

It's about a 15'' one. The first I buy in september with LG panel starts having IR last month and it's very noticeable. So, it took six month before issue comes.

25. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Take it into Apple. They will replace the panel (usually with a Samsung) if the problem is as noticeable as you say).