The new show "Fringe" on Fox

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Sep 19, 2008.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Any sci-fi junkies out there?! The show is freakin' the awesome-ness!! :D:D:D:D:D

I stayed up till 4am that night.

2. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I think it's a great concept, and quite well done. However, the second episode that aired this week disappointed me as it rushed through the "mystery of the week" it seemed and was putting too much focus on "developing" the team, and character development. Just my two cents, but I'll definitely stick with it as I think it's gonna turn into a great show if Fox holds onto it for long enough.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

5. nerd macrumors member

I wanted to like this show. I thought it was well made and the special effects were cool, but something about it just kind of sucked. Maybe it was the not so great acting or the stupid "science" (e.g. let's hook a dead woman's optic nerve up to a t.v. set and identify some bridge she was looking at a few minutes before she died). There's a way to make crazy science seem plausible and they haven't figured it out on this show.

6. mdhwoods macrumors regular

Some of the acting seems over done. Ill be watching it and really enjoy it and then some piece of acting happen which seems over done. I know its a new series and new actors so ill give it time. I remember when CSI's acting sucked, but it got better over time.

7. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Ehh, it was OK. I'll keep watching for now.

We've seen this show before though--it's basically X-Files, but instead of the paranormal, supernatural, and aliens it's way advanced technology and pseudo science. The show so far has had the same "freak of the week" type plots that X-Files had. It's a tired idea, and I hope it gets better. I'm not holding out alot of hope though, as I think they'll stick with the FOTW theme.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just finished season 1. Whoa. It had a slow start, but it finished really well. I look forward to season 2. WTF was up with Peter's grave?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you mean by this?

It should be clear by now, that Walther got the current Peter from another dimension, as that was what he was alluding to by saying "he had to do something horrible".

I don't remember the specifics anymore, as the finale has aired quite some time ago, but I liked the ending and am anxious to find out more.

September can't come sooner. Or January. Or life.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Duh! God, I"m stupid. :) You're right. Wow- that's even creepier.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've enjoyed the show and also can't wait until next season. I think the "mad scientist" role is played quite well. Yeah the Peter thing is an interesting plot twist. They have actually done quite a lot of hinting at it throughout the season and if you think back it all makes sense. Walther is always talking about memories that Peter doesn't have. From what they have hinted at it appears that the real Peter died in a car accident he had with Walther when Peter was a boy. They crashed into a river from what I remember. Walther then used the technology he and his partner created to enter the parallel universe and take the "Peter" from there and bring him back. It's the classic motif of grieved individual who goes to drastic measures to restore or reunite with a lost loved one.

Cool show in my book and worth watching. :)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh yeah. The whole Peter thing does make sense. I started thinking about him not having certain memories after that scene. Seeing the twin towers in the other alternate universe was just damn spooky too.

13. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- the first few episodes were kind of rough, but then it really hit it's stride.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

So true. Using the towers for any kind of imagery tends to bring on chills and not so pleasant memories. Bringing "Spock" to the cast should also be really awesome. :D

16. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

First episode I ever saw was about some killer butterflies that have razor sharp wings that forced some business guy to fall out of a building window.

That's probably a bad first impression, but I changed the channel anyway.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- that wasn't the best episode.

18. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

imagine it being the first episode you watched.

"oh, 'fringe'? I wonder what that's about."

"AHHH BUTTERFLIES! *SHRED FLUTTER FLUTTER SHRED* AHHHH *falls out of window* *butterflies flutter away silently*"

".........*change channel*"

Was not too impressed with it, to say the least. I might have to start from the first season and work my way through it tho. :p

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You should. It's good stuff. :)

20. jason221 macrumors 6502

I didn't like it much. Hated the blond lady (Olivia?). Personally, I'm waiting for August 7th.. Monk and Psych premiere!

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I actually like her a lot, along with the mentally ill doctor.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Walter is the best character IMO. He's really funny and that finale blew my mind. I'm really excited for it to start back up.

(I watch it all on Hulu during free time)

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The season finale freaked me out! It was so unexpected. This show started as a rip-off of the X-Files, but with that finale found it's own identity. The freaky bald guy always gives me the creeps too.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Was at the panel at Comic-Con 09 for Fringe. The group mentioned there will be some pretty interesting stuff that is coming down the pipe for season two. They eluded to, someone or multipal people seeing them self in the alternate universe!

There were hints also, about how Walter was able to get Peter.

When asked how many more episodes Leonard Nimy(SP?) would be in, they said "As many as he wants!".

That are some of the big things that were talked about............

If you can find it, there is a copy of the newspaper floating around. A complete paper...

Oh... there is also hints that the White House was taken out during an attack... hence "The... move into the NEW White House...." Caption on the front of the newspaper.

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The watcher I think is what they are called... the panel wouldn't comment to much about him or the others. So we are left wondering what are they really there for...