Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
While I do like this Ad very much, I'd like to remind everyone that this "New" style, is only new to, well, Apple. The whole inky/wet/organic/dirty (or whatever you want to call it) has already been done many times before, It seems that the only different thing apple has done is add their silhouette in it.

examples of those who have used it include Comedy Central and Nickelodeon.

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
p0intblank said:
The ad is definitely very well done. It has the classic silohuette (sp?) look, but done differently this time and I love it! :D I'm not a big fan of Eminem anymore, but the new ad still kicks ass.
Yeah, the silhouette w/ a graffiti'd background must be the new thing. I noticed it Wed Afternoon when I originally checked out the new iPod site.
indexsilotop20051011.gif

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
The apple ipod graffiti adds are just like everything you ever see in any Graphic Deisng computer media magazine.

Everything looks like that today, clean lines with dirty patterns and watnot.

Its called the current trend of digital media advertising.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
rollerbladers said:
I think I know why it was pulled. Look at what Psyop did a few years ago.

http://www.psyop.tv/mainlink.php?id=16|0&idt=word

Like I said, its a trend in digital media. Anyone who uses a computer to make printed artwork, uses that "style". vector art is in, and has been for years.

This is NOTHING special, other than Eminem WAS mad at Apple, now he aint obviously. Big deal, the commercial is nothing "amazing".

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Man I love that whole style. A million light years better than the old Silhouette ads.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iGary said:
I think it is horrible. It looks like Eminem is holding a white dildo.

Oh geez, you just made me laugh out loud and my co-workers are looking at me funny. :D

I think Eminem is big tool, but these ads are going to keep reeling people in. One of Apple's most effective ad campaigns ever. Maybe THE most effective.

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
Sdashiki said:
Like I said, its a trend in digital media. Anyone who uses a computer to make printed artwork, uses that "style". vector art is in, and has been for years.

This is NOTHING special, other than Eminem WAS mad at Apple, now he aint obviously. Big deal, the commercial is nothing "amazing".

It's not revolutionary technology, yes. My school's AV dept ripped off the original iPod ads- the only thing new about this one is the background is more complex. The fact that the commercial was done so well is why people like it. Apple's succeded in pulling over the concept for the original 4g iPod and applied it to everything eles they need- and they've done it well.

rollerbladers

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
the_freddinator said:
It's not revolutionary technology, yes. My school's AV dept ripped off the original iPod ads- the only thing new about this one is the background is more complex. The fact that the commercial was done so well is why people like it. Apple's succeded in pulling over the concept for the original 4g iPod and applied it to everything eles they need- and they've done it well.

Yes, "done so well"....

...for the second time. The first time it was done by Psyop, apparently. Here's a little more info on the scandal, if you are interested. It appears that many people in the advertising industry do not find this blatant rip-off as a very honorable thing on Apple's/Logan's(the Production Company)/or Chiat Day's part.

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2005/10/is_eminemapple_.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.