The New Structure

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Macman45, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A much better structure to the sections now. Although I rarely visit the iPhone boards, this should make for an even playing field with those wishing to discuss alternatives to i-devices having their own section.

Well done!:)

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Glad you like it! :)

Feedback in this forum played a big part.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It should help this who ( with a certain amount of justification) have complained about the iPhone forum boards being "Hijacked" by Android threads...More work for the Mods, but the traffic will settle over time I think.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The new structure layout looks good and serve as a practical way to discuss iOS and other types of phones and their OS's.

Good job!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I highly recommend the use of prefixes in that forum, as it will cut down in the confusion

6. urkel, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Does the existence of the " Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices " Forum pretty much prove that Apple has something to fear? It sure seems like it because 1) Alternative product discussions tend to be fads based on cool new products and 2) Apple hasn't really done anything worth talking about lately. So the idea of discussing competing/alternative devices to the ones we own should be encouraged rather than hidden away in a corner in order to protect the feelings of people who refuse to look at the changing world around them.

Just sayin...

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hopefully this will be better for all users. I for one think it will be.

Time will tell ;)

8. Rennir macrumors 6502

Thank you mods! :) I've been waiting for a separate sub-forum. Hopefully this will make discussion of non Apple devices more helpful rather than just circular arguments over and over again.

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It sounds to me like you're over-simplifying and polarising the issue.

The existence of the new forum is nothing more than an indication that there's so much discussion of comparison and competing products here that it makes sense to give it it's own section. It's hardly hidden away, we've made a forum-wide announcement to let everyone know about it. ;)

This change is beneficial to all: those who prefer to have (for the most part) Apple-only threads in the iPhone forum, will have it that way now. And those who want to discuss competing products or compare them with Apple products will no longer have their conversations interrupted by off-topic posts complaining about the threads' existence.

There's a lot of traffic in that part of the forums; dividing it up makes sense.

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Definitely the right move

I won't gloat and mention I saw the need for this change a long time ago...

OK, maybe a little. :D I know I posted on this topic some time ago (more than a year) but it's been lost to the archives apparently.

In any case, one suggestion, keep an eye out for the passive-aggressive trolling in the iPhone forums. That approach was pretty rampant and was, for whatever reason, highly irritating to me.

If the mods are vigilant and keep moving alternative threads to the alternative area, then the trolls will move on.

Now, as a potential indicator of why this move was good:

At the time of this writing, I see:

iOS: 641 viewing
    iPhone: 1336 viewing
    iPad: 502 viewing
    iPod touch: 158 viewing
    iPod: 73 viewing
    Alternatives: 28 viewing

Yep, that's right, there are 3 times the people viewing the iPod forum vs. the "alternatives" forum. :p

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Announcement? I didn't see anything.

Edit: never mind I see it now.

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yeah, the problem with announcements is that even though you can make one in all forums at the same time, they're at the very top, where no one looks!

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I barely caught it myself, but I saw the initial post in the Spy this morning so I was sort of looking for it. If the icon [​IMG] were a little bigger and maybe brighter, it'd be easier to spot.

Or do an announcement in the white area centered at the top of every page like when MacRumors was looking for new writers.

14. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I was looking for something like that.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Excellent news! Thanks to the team of MR for creating the subforum. Hopefully this will give everybody what they want from MR. Peace to all. :)

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I like the changes, nice work to all involved.

Cheers :)

17. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

a nice improvement which help to reduce the noise in topics one is interessted. thanks ! :) :)

ah, one more thing: can we make one sub forum for all patent- or trademark-related topics; it would make it easier to ignore, too :rolleyes:

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Brilliant, brilliant and brilliant.

The continual improvements and the way that the staff/admins/mods respond to user feedback and input are one of the many reasons I love this forum.

If more forums I frequented were as receptive to user feedback as this site I'd be happy.

Keep it up! :cool:

19. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

The trend is holding:

iOS: 753 viewing
    iPhone: 1501 viewing
    iPad: 511 viewing
    iPod touch: 221 viewing
    iPod: 93 viewing
    Alternatives: 19 viewing

It's clear that people aren't coming to MR to read up on Android and other competing technologies. They're here to read about Apple technologies.

My theory has been that there's a small but extremely vocal group of people that have been taking some sort of joy out of dropping non-Apple topics right into the midst of Apple conversations, on an Apple board.

e.g., trolls.

Now, without an opportunity to present their message and viewpoint to the Apple audience, mostly they'll be gone.

The distribution of the readers would seem to bear this out pretty clearly.

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

There's also been a small but vocal group who have consistently made it difficult to discuss competing products, by posting off-topic comments in threads ("why are you posting this here?", "go find an android forum", "this is macrumors, not androidrumors" etc).

That's also a form of trolling, and I'm hoping it will also stop now. ;)

21. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Don't like the iOS hacks category. I think there needs to be separate categories for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch because they are such different devices. It is going to be too overcrowded IMO.

22. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Ahhh yes - the counter trolls. Just about as bad, yay, even worse than the original trolls. Certainly not a fan of that either.

23. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I think it is pretty decent of Macrumors to give Samsung/HTC/Google/ whatever shills access to the forums.

I wonder how many android forums have an "alternative to android" section? Just guessing, but I'd say zilch.

24. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I know Android Central has this covered.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/other-gadgets-cross-platform/
    There was really no need for the "shill" jibe.

25. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I like the addition of the "alternatives" sub forum, but I do not at all like the combining of iPhone hacks and iPad hacks into one sub forum. The devices have different release cycles and there are hacks that apply only to one class of device or the other. Baseband unlocks, for instance, are entirely irrelevant to iPad hackers; and advice that might be perfectly fine on an iPad-only forum could be devastating to an iPhone user who needs an unlock.

I can understand that there may be some posts in the iPhone hacks section that will be relevant to the iPad, and vice-versa. But I think that the risk of added confusion and bad advice is greater. And, frankly, I find the flood of iPad-related threads that I have absolutely no interest in incredibly annoying.