The new touch WILL drive iPhone 4 secondary market prices down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anonymouslives, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Seems inevitable. The feature set is now so similar, it can only bring the price of the iPhone 4 down on the secondary market.
    Who wants to pay an extra $400-$800 to make calls and use internet on 3G?

Thanks Apple, for lowering the value of my phone!

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

well, then you better put your iphone 4 up for sale before the new touch is released. :)

3. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

The Blackberry torch I just bought and a new touch, could make that a viable option.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I guess we're different. I don't buy my phones or other devices based on what I can SELL it for. I buy them for what I want to use them for myself.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Why not sell the iphone4, get a phone thats better at being a phone and then have an ipod touch with it?

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said!

I focus on present needs and wants, then look ahead a bit, and select accordingly.

Resale isn't even in my thoughts.

7. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I have a friend that does this. It works very well for him and makes a lot of sense.

When one heavily relies on their mobile phone for all calls, there is a lot to be said for one that just works.

9. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Many people count on a high resale value of iPhone, to actually pay for their new iPhone purchases. It was quite a nice dynamic.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

poor baby.

11. Shifty88 macrumors newbie

You just can't count on tech to keep its value.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is a good point. Is there anyone on here that would sell their iP4 and buy the new iPod Touch and a dumb phone instead? If the answer is "no", then the new Touch will not drive prices down.

Oh dear, look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1005493

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think the new touch will drive resale prices down for the iPhone 4 at all. It hasn't in the past, and it won't now. The integration of phone, location services and 3G access in the iPhone provides enough of a differentation. If Apple would introduce 3G service on the iPod touch at some point then *that* may have an effect as it would mean people would make Skype calls instead of having a separate voice plan.

What you need to fear is a Verizon/Sprint iPhone. THAT will drive prices for the AT&T version to the floor. No one will pay you a nickel for one after that. :)

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

It makes sense to me. Even ignoring the reception thing, using an iPod touch for all the features you would use an iphone for won't cost you $80-$100 a month.

This is probably the real reason that Apple won't allow the Google Voice app on the app store. People would ditch their iphones and use ipod touches+Google Voice for phone calls, voicemail and texting without paying AT&T every month.

15. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i never have and never will sell one of my iPhones, once i have them in my possession i feel like they are a part of me.

16. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

one problem with your theory sporto...Google Voice works off of an existing phone number with your Google Voice number...it would not work on an iPod touch... I like Google Voice but it is nothing more than a glorified forwarding service..trust me I actually use it

17. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

GV can work off of any phone number. It doesn't have to be a cell phone number and you can set it to ring your gmail phone interface instead of your alternate number.

Basically, a GV app would allow you to use your ipod touch as a make-shift VOIP handset complete with voicemail and text (as long as you had a signal to a wifi hotspot).... and it would all be free.

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

the iPhone has an incredible camera

the iPod touch takes stills in 720p resolution, which isn't even 1megapixel :(

19. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Do people really have that much of an issue with their phones? I have had mine for well over a month, and have not dropped 1 single call

20. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

I also said this in a post.

Must of us don't see it now. . . but with features so close to the phone,
    people are just going to get the iPod touch so they wont get into a contract.

To each his own though, I love my phone and I'm glad they didn't add 3G to the Touch! ;)

21. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Google Voice does not work on an ipod touch unless you're going to keep whatever voip app you're using open all the time...and have a headset mic...and you HAVE to be connected to the internet constantly...I've tried and it's a failure as a replacement to a phone...sure it's ok if you want to make a call every now and then but as a replacement to a cell phone NO

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

People have been able to sell their previous generation iPhones for a profit even after a new iPhone with better features has been released, so I doubt that iPod Touches are going to have any effect on things. This same exact thing happens every year anyway.

23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Google Voice: iPod Touch Compatibility
    Google Voice for iPhone and Android WebOS is compatible with iPod Touch devices. All of the features will work, other than placing calls.

You can read voicemail transcriptions, listen to voicemails, and even send SMS messages over a Wifi connection.

this is from Google's Mobile page

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Not to sound snotty - but I don't think I can avoid it - but if you are relying on reselling (and I mean RELYING - not that it's a bonus) to update your technology - then perhaps you can't really afford the iPhone OR - you might just have to wait until it makes more economical sense for you to update instead of being there on launch day.

25. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

yes, but you can now make phone calls to phone numbers through a gmail interface on the web page

You can route your incoming GV calls to this gmail interface.

That is how you could have a fully functional ipod touch as a VOIP phone