Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
the iPhone 4 most likely will be the first iPhone that i don't sell when a new one comes out. With that said i don't buy devices based on their resale value and besides the iPhone 4 and new iPod touch are 2 different monkeys.

Honestly it's not going to hurt the resale value because you simply cannot make a phone call on a iPod touch only facetime. There will still be people wanting to buy iPhone 4's regardless.

The only thing i can see hurting the resale value possibly is if Verizon carries the iPhone and even with that the value may not be effected.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Why not sell the iphone4, get a phone thats better at being a phone and then have an ipod touch with it?

This has some truth to it BUT, the difference maker, ATLEAST to myself, is the GPS aka maps. I use maps regularly on my iPhone and I've used the blackberry version. iPhone version is the winner hands down!!. I can't say this about the torch as I have never tried it but as far as any other blackberry is concerned, I can't get a gps lock indoors while on the iPhone I can. This enables me to set up my directions before I even walk out the door. Much less painful to use IMO.
With the iPod touch I would be forced to use wifi for maps to work.....btw I've been a blackberry fanatic forever and I still believe in their products....but I believe in the iPhone more.

shehan

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
yes, but you can now make phone calls to phone numbers through a gmail interface on the web page

You can route your incoming GV calls to this gmail interface.

That is how you could have a fully functional ipod touch as a VOIP phone

This requires flash...

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I'm guessing the original poster didn't realize that the iPod Touch has always had most of the iPhone features.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Seems inevitable. The feature set is now so similar, it can only bring the price of the iPhone 4 down on the secondary market.
Who wants to pay an extra $400-$800 to make calls and use internet on 3G?

Thanks Apple, for lowering the value of my phone!

What moron buys consumer electronics and gadgets based on resale value?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Maybe the OP is a newbie to the iOS because the iPod touch usually has most of the iPhone features since 2007, and it still hasn't cannibalized iPhone sales or hurt its resell value.

Most people I see try to sell their iPod touches on Craigslist after they realize the iPhone is always superior of the two and the fact they want to eliminate carrying another device around. These iPod touches lose value once Apple starts giving them out for free next summer with a MacBook or iMac purchase.

I know first-hand about having some buyer's remorse. I started with an iPod touch first and have rarely looked back to it after getting an iPhone.

Today's keynote didn't really wow me. Probably because the iPhone 4 offers everything I need in ONE device. The Nano looks like a more expensive Shuffle with touchscreen. Bring back all of the Nano 5th gen's features, make a screen a tad bigger with slightly higher resolution, and have a wrist-band accessory,and I will get it next year as an iPod watch. The Touch doesn't have the still camera of the iPhone 4, no LED flash, and doesn't have the memory boost I wanted. I expected it that way, but getting one feels redundant if I already own an iPhone. Last year, the Nano was the better of the two iPods. This year, it would be the Touch. Neither model interest me. Wait again for next year.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The iPod touch has always had iPhones feature. Also this won't because it doesn't have the cam power of the iPhone 4, the retina display is inferior and you still cannot make calls with it.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Seems inevitable. The feature set is now so similar, it can only bring the price of the iPhone 4 down on the secondary market.

:facepalm:

no

have fun carrying two devices, you clearly have NO IDEA what a smartphone is

the whole point is to be able to carry one device in your pocket that does everything you need

Jumpman2033

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
:facepalm:

no

have fun carrying two devices, you clearly have NO IDEA what a smartphone is

the whole point is to be able to carry one device in your pocket that does everything you need

This is pretty much my thought. Why would you want to carry around more than one device. I typically have 2 pockets. Once for my phone and one for everything else. I personally wouldn't be able to carry a phone and a touch. I think a lot of people (guys especially since we don't carry purses and things of that nature) don't have the ability to carry more than one electronic device at a time.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This is pretty much my thought. Why would you want to carry around more than one device. I typically have 2 pockets. Once for my phone and one for everything else. I personally wouldn't be able to carry a phone and a touch. I think a lot of people (guys especially since we don't carry purses and things of that nature) don't have the ability to carry more than one electronic device at a time.

I agree - but for those wishing to free up a pocket...

iphone4face_01.grid-6x2.jpg

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
What moron buys consumer electronics and gadgets based on resale value?

It shouldn't be the main reason, but its part of why I buy iPhones. Every year, I can upgrade for the discounted price due to our AT&T bill, and resell my old iPhone for a decent penny. How much do you think you would get out of a Nexus One or a MyTouch3G after one year of use? I doubt as much as you get out of an iPhone.

Its the same reason I buy Honda's. Resale is much better than GM/Ford. Its not moronic to think about resale you twit.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Who cares? I want a phone and a iPod in one device. I used to have a Nexus One and an iPod Touch and I used to get fed up of carrying two devices with me. The iPod Touch doesn't do anymore than the iPhone so I'm not bothered.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010

I think all the negative press of the iPhone 4 "problems" has already taken care of that for you. I am guessing this will be the year that the sale of my iPhone 4 will not cover a new purchase and I say big woop!!!

I am very happy with my 4 and that is good enough for me.

mjz147

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
This model will not drive iPhone 4 sales down.
The iPhone still has a better still camera, and can still MAKE CALLS AND TEXT and go on the internet.

Yes, their are that small percentage of people who will say "I am not going to give AT&T a penny, I can just carry around a dumb phone and use an iPod touch."

That is plain stupid if you ask me.
Think of it this way, although their are a lot of cool features on the iPod touch, alot of them require an internet connection.
Everytime you want to browse the web on the go, you cant.
Everytime you want to check movie times when your not home or on wifi, you can't
weather
connect to app store
use the game center
Use google maps for directions.
etc

unless the next gen iPod Touch has 3G, the iPhone 4 sales will not fall.

However the iPod touch will outsell any other mp3 player out their.
Its specs are simply amazing, Camera, front faceing camera, HD video, retina display, 250,000 apps mp3 player, portable video. It is amazing.

However I read somewhere that sprint is making a case that fits over an iPod touch, its not just an ordinary case though, it actually has a 3G card in the case, meaning when your iPod touch is in the case (its not that bulky) it see's the sprint card as a wifi device and you have 3G on the go, now with amazing advertising, that would drastically increase the sales of iPod touches, but maybe a small amount of people with an iPhone will return it.
A 4G case would be cool too.
Here is the link.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/28/zte-peel-for-sprint-outed-by-fcc-another-3g-equipped-ipod-touch/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sprint-bringing-3g-case-to-apple-ipod-touch/

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It makes sense to me. Even ignoring the reception thing, using an iPod touch for all the features you would use an iphone for won't cost you $80-$100 a month.

For me there is no "reception thing." And given the amount of traveling I do and the lack of reliability of Wifi hotspots< i'd still need a smartphone that I'd be paying about $67 a month for (which is what I pay now for my iPhone).

For some people (and for you maybe), the limitations of WiFi might be acceptable. Not for me.

This is probably the real reason that Apple won't allow the Google Voice app on the app store.

If that were true, Skype, Fring and Line2 would also be banned from the app store.

People would ditch their iphones and use ipod touches+Google Voice for phone calls, voicemail and texting without paying AT&T every month.

Last I checked, Google Voice still required a phone number of some kind to link your account to.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The iPod touch has always had iPhones feature. Also this won't because it doesn't have the cam power of the iPhone 4, the retina display is inferior and you still cannot make calls with it.

The iPod Touch has inferior retina display? Resolution and pixel counts are the same, is it the contrast ratio, which isn't listed on the Tech Specs page?

Anyway, I agree it'll do nothing to the price. Otherwise, we would have seen this with the previous generation Touches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.