The new UI seems targeted at younger people

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by minimo3, Sep 19, 2013.

1. minimo3 macrumors regular

I love my Apple devices and I'm very pleased with the under the hood improvements to iOS 7, however I have to say that I'm no fan of the new UI. Its too cartoonish looking (reminiscent of Samsung's TouchWiz UI). I know that the flat look is in fashion now but completely hollow, outlined buttons? They look like the stick-man drawings that I come up with. I'm sure this new UI appeals to Gen Y and younger, but I have a feeling the oldies prefer the textures and skeumorphisms (obviously this is a generalization, and I do not mean each and every single older person). The new UI is a also a little too unprofessional in more formal corporate settings. I'll probably not install iOS 7 on my phone since I do presentations from it occasionally.

2. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yes, it hurts my eyes. Being older, I really don't care about how pretty it is.
    It's a tool I use constantly

Usability..... for God's sake.

I guess it goes with all the new bright color phones and super flat everything.

Makes me dizzy.......:)

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Oh, please!
    I qualify as an "oldie" and have no problem with the change.
    If you think you are being judged by your phone's UI in formal coreparate settings that says more about you than the UI. Go outside and yell at kids on your lawn.

4. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Uh no, it's not a gen Y thing. It's a unicorns and my little pony thing. Oh, and lsd druggies.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Oh you know you will install it.

The previous look was getting a bit stale and didn't appeal as much to younger users. While theme support would be nice, you just can't please everyone.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I typically judge people making presentations based on their mobile OS choice, regardless of content. So far that logic has help up, lets hope it continues! ;)

7. King Bowser macrumors regular

This made me laugh so hard. No joke , people came to my office to see what was so funny. They are at this moment laughing along. Kudos.

----------

And the laughs continue. :apple::D

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

9. age234 macrumors 6502

age234

I don't know what it is about the OS that makes it "for kids". It's just a bunch of baseless associations between kids and abstract UI concepts.

One could just as well say iOS 6 was for kids because of all the playful cartoony stylized graphics like Newsstand and such.

I use my iPhone mostly for work. I don't get into gaming or heavy use of trendy media. But I welcome iOS 7 as it generally works better for what I use it for.

10. Macalway macrumors 68000

This person edited their post. You are commenting on nothing.
    And apparently, this continues on in this thread which should now be closed

11. minimo3 thread starter macrumors regular

Get off my thread ya whippersnapper! :)

.... this is in jest, so don't get all worked up

12. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

13. Rooster411 macrumors member

The buzz amongst my teenage kids and their friends over iOS 7 was amazing yesterday.
    Last night my daughter told me at 1:00, kids were all going to the bathroom, trying to upgrade.
    I browsed her Instagram last night and must have seen at least twenty of her friends who had screenshot pics of their new iOS 7 home screens.
    If they were the target, Apple nailed it.
    They are Apple fanboys and girls in training. They are the future of Apple.
    The future looks bright.

Btw.... I like iOS 7 too....

14. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Snickers? You're Not You When You're Hungry.

15. Macalway macrumors 68000

My goodness ....your scaring me :D

16. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Just updated my 72 year old mum's iPad tonight.. as I expected, she hates it, feels she'll be driven back to using her Win 7 laptop as she only just 'got' the iPad after 3 years.. time will tell. I reassured her it's mostly the same, she'll be fine.. but she wasn't happy about it!

First thing she said was 'it's so bright! please turn the brightness down..' I explained she could now swipe up from the bottom and that's control centre.. you can adjust brightness, volume there.. 'well how am I ever going to remember that!'..

It's going to be a fun weekend of family tech support.

17. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Apple went with fashion over function with the the entire thing and it was a failure IMO.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm unsure if I'm old or not... probably am since I'm well over 30 :D

I don't mind the look of iOS 7. My biggest issue is that it's so hard to read and the user can't customize any of the basic elements to make it easier on the eyes.

Other issues: Calendar provides less data at a glance, some of the icons are a guessing game if they were not labeled -- goes back to readability of labels.

White is the default system text color unless you use a pre-made Apple background which uses black. No way best I can tell to use a custom background and switch to black text.

19. roxics macrumors regular

Well I'm 34 (which is not old despite what some younger people say) and I love the new design. But it does need some tweaking. I didn't hate the old design but it was getting old and it was time for a change for the sake of change.

That said, my buddy is the same age and he doesn't care for it so he isn't upgrading until he has to. He doesn't like change. lol

I personally like skeumorphism and don't really understand why people hate it. I understand the philosophy that it is a computer and not a real life object on screen. But so what? There is good skeumorphism and bad skeumorphism. Notepad, calendar and game center were bad, but I thought the reel-to-reel in their podcast app was pretty sweet and I was sad to see it go. I've seen some other really cool skeumorphic designs online and it would ahve been nice to see Apple go in that direction as well. Maybe it will come back around once we all get bored with this.

20. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Whatever.

21. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

looks like my husband will be dumped, because I will not be married to someone who wants a stale operating system on their Apple Iphones. He has about 4.

One for me so he can call me on his private line.

One for work.

One for his bitchy mother.

One for the rest of his moronic family.

Now to work out custody of the mac.

All seriously, do you really do that or are you just taking the cat for a walk with us?

22. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Seriously?? Thats your main issue? Seems like you have bigger issues than how iOS 7 looks.

23. age234 macrumors 6502

age234

People hate it now because Apple told us it was bad at the first iOS 7 keynote.

Everyone cheered for the shredder animation from Passbook. People loved the richness of the skeuomorphic stuff when it was new.

It'll be back someday.

----------

Maybe if you had a wallpaper of kittens or something, but this makes no sense.