Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
The "microphone" in the icon is plain white now, what´s up with that? Before it actually looked like a real microphone. And the blue theme is already used by many other Apple apps. The red theme was much nicer.

Why did they had to "fix" something that wasn´t broken?

And now it is.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Unfortunately it's one of these times where the "iTunes" logo had changed. I'm so sorry the Voice Memo icon has changed and I wish you the best in other logo changes in the future.

Best Wishes,
iBryton

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Unfortunately it's one of these times where the "iTunes" logo had changed. I'm so sorry the Voice Memo icon has changed and I wish you the best in other logo changes in the future.

Best Wishes,
iBryton

Well actually the iTunes logo change made sense since the CD is dead and is better looking now anyways.

It´s ok to change the icons if they make them better. But in this case they took huge step back. This I don´t understand. Why?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
And the blue theme is already used by many other Apple apps

This...they seem to be trending toward a blue theme (voice memo, Safari, Mail, App Store, Remote, etc.) Must be part of some larger aesthetic.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
I don't know, man. I called my mother about this last night. I was afraid I might wake her up being as though it was 2am, but actually she was still awake. Apparently she couldn't go to sleep because she kept thinking how aesthetically displeasing the new icon was. I asked her if she knew why they had to change it, but unfortunately she had no idea. Hopefully someone within the confines of Apple can come here and explain it to us. For now I'm going to avoid taking voice memos as much as possible. This is unacceptable. So much blue.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
This...they seem to be trending toward a blue theme (voice memo, Safari, Mail, App Store, Remote, etc.) Must be part of some larger aesthetic.

+1 And I agree that it's ugly. I also think the new icon for iTunes is ugly as well. But beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all of that...

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I don't know, man. I called my mother about this last night. I was afraid I might wake her up being as though it was 2am, but actually she was still awake. Apparently she couldn't go to sleep because she kept thinking how aesthetically displeasing the new icon was... (snip)

Sweet!
:apple:

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I don't know, man. I called my mother about this last night. I was afraid I might wake her up being as though it was 2am, but actually she was still awake. Apparently she couldn't go to sleep because she kept thinking how aesthetically displeasing the new icon was. I asked her if she knew why they had to change it, but unfortunately she had no idea. Hopefully someone within the confines of Apple can come here and explain it to us. For now I'm going to avoid taking voice memos as much as possible. This is unacceptable. So much blue.

"I'm returning my phone!!"

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
The new icon is sooo much better, one of the few things I was looking forward to in 4.2. I don't like red much. I love Netflix but I hate their icon. Seems to angry.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The new icon is sooo much better, one of the few things I was looking forward to in 4.2. I don't like red much. I love Netflix but I hate their icon. Seems to angry.

But everybody has blue icons. There's a site that counted all of the blue app icons, and it's a very high percentage of all available apps. I wish I could find it.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well actually the iTunes logo change made sense since the CD is dead and is better looking now anyways.

I know this was not your thinking, but Apple's. That said, it is very flawed logic. Using this same logic, iTunes shouldn't even have a music note on the icon either because it sells much more than music (movies, podcasts, iPad/iPhone/iPod apps, etc.). What it should have is a big fat dollar sign.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I know this was not your thinking, but Apple's. That said, it is very flawed logic. Using this same logic, iTunes shouldn't even have a music note on the icon either because it sells much more than music (movies, podcasts, iPad/iPhone/iPod apps, etc.). What it should have is a big fat dollar sign.

That´s true.

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
OLD

2-3_icons_Voice_Memo.png

NEW

ios_42_icon_voicememo1.png

I like the new one better. It stands out.

create-voice-memos-in-iphone-os-30-01.jpg

voice-memos1-466x700-319x480.png

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Why did they had to "fix" something that wasn´t broken? And now it is.
I am also getting sick of Apple changing things so soon. Seems like we can't go a few months anymore without a so called visual "update".

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
If jailbroken, you can do the following to change app icons:
1) For apps downloaded from the iTunes store only--copy the custom icon to /private/var/mobile/Applications/***/<appname>.app/, where *** represents a unique app ID number and "<appname>.app" is the name of the app program (e.g., Shazam.app). Note that you'll have to drill through each app ID # directory in order to find the app whose icon you wish to replace since it's not easy to determine the name of the app just from looking at the app ID #. The stock icon file is usually named "icon.png" or "Icon.png" but may vary for some programs; in any case, you may want to make a backup of the stock icon file before you overwrite it (just rename the existing "icon.png" file "icon.bak" or similar so that you can revert back to the original icon if need be.

2) For apps downloaded via Cydia or similar post-jailbreak appstore tool--similar to #1 except you need to drill down to /private/var/stash/Applications.******, where ****** is a bunch of characters...so, "Applications.vo2HKG" (the string may/will be different on your phone). Once in that directory, find the dir that has the app name you're looking for, drill into that directory, and then perform the same icon backup and copy procedures as described in #1.

You will need to respring or reboot your iPhone once you've copied over your custom icons in order for them to take effect.

There is another way to perform this task that doesn't involve doing anything in either/both of the application directories mentioned above (i.e., overwriting the original stock icon file), but does require that you have Winterboard installed and the creation of a custom Winterboard theme and some subdirectories for each and every app whose icon you wish to replace...lemme know if you're interested on how to do it that way.
Copypasta'd from
http://forums.ilounge.com/hacks-mods/244895-replace-change-application-icon-can-done.html
Which provides a further discussion.

Chunkycat

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010

Made my day! :D

Now regarding the icon in question, I didn't really notice the change but now when I look at it, I do like the old one better - not that it matters much, a tiny icon is not the most important thing in an iPhone.:apple:

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Steve Jobs said:
“.. almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

Steve's following his heart, and he knows better than you the best icon color for you. On the other hand, he might have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed and said to himself "You know, let's screw around with BobHail's icons and drive him batty". Naaww... :)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The "microphone" in the icon is plain white now, what´s up with that? Before it actually looked like a real microphone. And the blue theme is already used by many other Apple apps. The red theme was much nicer.

And now it is.

didn't that change back in june with 4.0??

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC

And now it is.

life can be difficult. If this a a big problem for you then you are a very fortunate person

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.