MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

125138-new_yorker_cover_051611.jpg

As noted by All Things Digital reports, Conde Nast has followed through on last week's claims that the publisher would begin offering subscriptions to its stable of magazines via the iPad App Store using Apple's in app subscription mechanism. As previously reported, The New Yorker is the first title to debut with subscriptions, but another seven titles should be rolling out soon.An updated version of that magazine's iPad app gives lets users subscribe to the weekly magazine for $5.99 a month, or the equivalent of a $1.50 an issue. That's a steep discount from the app's old model, which only sold individual issues for $4.99 a pop.

Conde Nast is selling an annual subscription to the iPad app for $59.99; a yearly subscription to the print version of the magazine costs $69.95. Very important: Conde says print subscribers will get iPad access for free.Several reports over the weekend had pointed to a $19.99 annual subscription rate and $1.99 per-issue pricing, but those figures appear to be for the publisher's other titles that are published on a monthly basis. As a weekly magazine, The New Yorker requires a substantial higher subscription fee. Still, single issues of The New Yorker remain priced at $4.99, a significant premium over even the monthly subscription option.

Article Link: 'The New Yorker' Subscriptions Go Live on iPad

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

def interested now...keep em coming.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Just as the WSJ can charge for their information (and get it), I think the New Yorker is one of the few magazines that might get $60/year as a workable model. Long-form journalism is rare today. Those who like it will pay.

Plus they get cartoons. :)

But there are ways to get it cheaper, and that's probably the best way to go: find a discount, subscribe to the print version, get the iPad version free. And repeat subscribers get discounts to resubscribe. I trust that can be true of iPad versions too. If not, subscribers won't be so happy.

Comment

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Thankfully my friend won't give up on the paper edition so we'll likely split the $70 cost, he'll take paper and I'll take digital. Probably quasi-stealing, right? Anyone else doing this?
Even at $60 for the year (ipad only) it's still awesome considering the previous price.

Comment

tomkeddie

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Internation subs?

I think the big market here will be international subs.

Being a weekly makes the postage a significant part of the cost, the price difference between international subs (Canada $US90, Rest of the World $US120) is much greater. An additional bonus is being able to read them in the week of publication instead of the usual 2-3 week delay.

Comment

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Just as the WSJ can charge for their information (and get it), I think the New Yorker is one of the few magazines that might get $60/year as a workable model. Long-form journalism is rare today. Those who like it will pay.

Plus they get cartoons. :) .....

Couldn't agree more. I've canceled most of my print subscriptions at this point. The content really got thin, and any smartphone can deliver an endless stream of content.

But the New Yorker is different, densely-packed week after week. The thinning of the print herd is already well underway, but I don't see the New Yorker sweating much.

Comment

MacCoinnich

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Portland
The full, undiscounted, price of the print version may well be $69.95, but I have never seen them fail to offer a 'discounted' price. I paid $39.95 for the magazine last year, and I don't remember ever paying a price that's much different to that.

Comment

danner

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
NY'r nothing new

I've been getting The New Yorker on my iPad for a long time.... it was offered online to print subscribers even prior to the first iPad's release and then seemed to flow easily to the 'Pad.

Comment

Yankee617

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010
"Conde says print subscribers will get iPad access for free."

Hooray!

I've been a print subscriber for decades... and my iPad should arrive in 9 days.

It will be awhile before i'm willing to give up the print version. But I'll be less likely to carry it with me once I have my iPad.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's better.

After a year of fails Conde Nast finally implemented something more resaonable.

Comment

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Magazine List

I haven't looked in any detail but is there a up-to-date list of Magazines available now? Preferably a list on a website?

Comment

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Error

This article has a glaring error! According to this one, the digital edition actually costs LESS than the print edition, but that's just impossible. By cutting out physical expenses and delivery, the price should naturally go up! At least, that's what People, Time, SI, and just about every other publication has been saying for a year..... :eek:

Comment

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I've been getting The New Yorker on my iPad for a long time.... it was offered online to print subscribers even prior to the first iPad's release and then seemed to flow easily to the 'Pad.

Are you talking about the iPad-optimized version for Safari?

The Safari version is more like Zinio; you can swipe through pages and enlarge pages, but that's about it.

The New Yorker iPad app is much better -- good UI, good navigation, decent multimedia content. The articles are designed for page-flips, so the app reads really well.

Comment

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Call me cheap but I think the Pay for Print, get the digital free model will become the expected norm. Unless in rare cases the digital provides some compelling feature or content print cannot. Just saying it's a hard sell.

This is not print but is related to the topic. I've been subscribing to HBO for years and years, I watch, enjoy but never thing much of it. HBO GO arrives for iPad and completely blows my mind. Suddenly having access to HBO (and I mean all of it at once) increased the value of the service exponentially. This is how you enhance your magazine model, this is how you expand the user experience. As digital magazine archives expand they should be served up as a bonus to the print version, versions that update facts and figures and various bits of content over time. Fine go ahead and double dip on the ads, subsidize the heck out of it but don't expect me to pay twice for something I'm already getting.

By the way thats a sweet Bin Laden cover, props to the artist.

Comment

kitkat2

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
I like it. :cool:

A few nitpicks, though:

- I'm a print subscriber and the simplest way to gain access is using your account number on your label (you can also enter your name and address). There's a lot of stuff on the label and I wanted to make sure I was entering the correct bit, so I clicked on the "?" button next to the text field to make sure I knew what it was. It told me that I could find my account number on the mailing label. That was it. C'mon, we figured that much out already, how about being a bit more specific?

- It doesn't seem to have the full archives available for free. For issues going back to March 13th it showed "purchased", but issues farther back said $4.99.

- I elected to start by downloading the current issue, and when I left the app for a moment it paused downloading instead of continuing in the background.

Anyway, I haven't read much yet but it's very nice to look at and easy to read. I really like the fact that issues are downloaded so I can read them no matter where I am, as opposed to accessing them through the website. It's great that they've finally come around to letting people who have already purchased the magazine get in on the digital edition.

Comment

important

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Have any print-only subscribers successfully gotten access through the app yet? What info do you need to sign in with?

Yes, I am a print-only subscriber and was able to get access via the app this morning with my subscription # (on your mailing label) and my newyorker.com ID and password (if you don't have one, you can sign up for one instantly on the NYer website).

It appears to provide access to issues from 2011 for free at this point. The post above me says March 13 for a cutoff date, by mine go back to Jan 3, 2011.

Comment

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
This is brilliant. And bravo to Conde Nast for pricing the iPad subscription BELOW the print subscription.

I downloaded a few issues this morning and it's lovely.

Comment

kitkat2

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
Yes, I am a print-only subscriber and was able to get access via the app this morning with my subscription # (on your mailing label) and my newyorker.com ID and password (if you don't have one, you can sign up for one instantly on the NYer website).

It appears to provide access to issues from 2011 for free at this point. The post above me says March 13 for a cutoff date, by mine go back to Jan 3, 2011.

Actually I got the date wrong, but it's even worse, only through March 28. :(
I wonder what the difference is. I'm a long time subscriber and paid up through sometime in 2013.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.