The next iPhone hasn't been delayed, Apple changed the cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Merkie, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

People keep saying the iPhone has been delayed. This is not true at all. I will explain why in this post.

First, let's take a look at "usual" pattern. It goes something like this:
    1. Around March/April, Apple introduces the next version of iOS, starting beta testing right away.
    2. After about 2/3 months, when the next iOS version nearly reaches completion, Apple announces the next iPhone to be relased within a couple of weeks, coinciding with the release of the next iOS.

What can we learn from this? Quite easy; the new iOS and the new iPhone are a package, they will always be released together. The first hint of a new iPhone is a new iOS version, so without a new iOS version, there can't be a new iPhone. What does this mean? It means that Apple must have known they weren't going to release the iPhone around the usual time of the year back in March / April, otherwise they would have announced iOS 5 around that time.

To me, this seems more like a carefully planned sequence of events than that of a delay. The late introduction of the white iPhone and the Verizon iPhone also indicate that Apple had something different on their mind than usual. There is no delay, Apple chose to release the next iPhone later than usual. "Delay" indicates an external influence not under the control of Apple. I don't believe in that.

(Note: I'm not implying Apple didn't release the next iPhone in June because of the Verizon iPhone, it's actually the other way around: Apple introduced the Verizon iPhone because they knew the next iPhone was going to take longer than usual.)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree.

The White iPhone 4 was considered a delay, the next iPhone being released this Fall is not (so far). I still fully believe that Apple is taking longer this time around because of iOS and wanting to release a unified version for current and future iOS devices.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Verizon's CFO has said that they also had thought the iPhone 5 was coming out in June.

One possibility is that Apple delayed the iPhone 5 because of either redesign (screen?) or production issues (new case? screen yield? chip delivery?).

Could be wishful thinking on my part, of course, as either one might mean something really nice being added :)

4. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not saying a delay couldn't be possible, but this would indicate problems occured at a very early stage of the design process. That seems off to me. Apple is perfectly capable of releasing iPhones/iPods/Macbooks/whatever on a yearly schedule, they've proven that.

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Agree.

I've said for a while now that either a) Apple simply wanted to merge the iPhone and iPod events due to the premium iPod (the iPod touch) being "an iPhone without the phone" and it makes sense to keep similar devices in the single event. Or b) There's been issues with the A5 in a smaller form factor (iPhone vs iPad), such as heat or battery performance.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Could also be a delay that's somehow related to the tsunami.

It's not likely to be a delay due to software, as Apple had no problem releasing the iPad and not giving it iOS 4 until several months later.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My opinion was that Apple wanted to release a unified version of iOS 5

8. aohus macrumors 68000

excuses, its obvious that there is some kind of issue with Apple's new iteration, or its a supply side issue.

Predictability is key for Apple's success. Why does Jobs only wear that black turtleneck and Levis jeans? Because consistency is key to sell a product to the masses. This also makes him easier to identify, and more trustworthy. Had he come out with a business suit, that wouldn't merit 'trustworthiness'

Also, all iPhone iterations have come out in the summer time.

If it were an ideal Apple world, this phone would have come out by now.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The iPad isn't their flagship device though

10. shandyman Suspended

Apple have changed the cycle to bring it so they launch with the iPod Touch as it's usually the same tech in both and after announcing the iPhone in the summer, they get to the iPod event and the touch kinda is a letdown. They've picked this year for the simple fact that there's iCloud to launch and it's such a part of the new devices, it gives them the time to get this running.

the whole talk of 'delay' is daft on this basis. there's no delay due to the Tsunami as we have known that the new iPhone was coming out later in the year since back in Jan/Feb.

I would not be surprised if the iPad gets shunted to the september event next year or the year after, whether the device gets 2 releases in one year or a gap like the iPhone.

11. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

It has a lot to do with iOS 5 because it's still in its beta phase, but I'm pretty sure Apple has it all down to schedule. We'll see the next iPhone by the end of the month...and if it's a 4S, then Apple will burn to the ground. :cool:

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Its pretty clear that the phone has been delayed.

Intentional or not, there is *no way* that Apple can keep up with the Moto/HTC/Samsung phones if they stay with incremental upgrades each year and new hardware every 2 years. Not with android phones coming out every 3 months from each manufacturer.

Rumors are that Apple is going to offer a single phone which can work across multiple carriers. An interesting idea, but in the end useless since the carriers will inevitably lock the phones to their networks and not give out any unlock codes (except for T-mobile maybe).

13. Sodner, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Amen. Stop saying its been delayed people.

Apple is a master of the supply chain. They did not become the richest company by accident. Nothing catches them by surprise. They plan for every eventuality, they leave nothing to chance. Everything they do is for a reason, including changing the release of the iPhone with the new iOS to the fall time frame.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Can't be delayed if a ship date hasn't been announced.

15. profets macrumors 68040

The advantage here then would be to buy the iPhone from apple directly and then shop around for service (without contract). If you're unhappy with one carrier then move to another.

Though I agree about carrier locks. If you get a subsidized phone you are entering into a term contract anyway for the service, regardless of whether the phone has a carrier lock or not.

16. Ounce macrumors member

iPod revenues are in decline. Apple is adjusting the iPhone launch cycle to feature the iPhone as their star product of the holiday quarter.

The late announcement of iOS5 indicates this was an intentional transition and not an unforeseen technical delay. As the OP observed, the new iOS and new iPhone are always bundled together.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I think everyone is taking the word "delayed" too literally. I think everyone understands that since there hasn't been any announcement, technically nothing is delayed. And if Apple never mentioned another iphone until 2020, Technically, it still wouldnt be delayed. But cmon' people..Apple has announced a new iphone on a regular, yearly schedule since 2007. And yes, they can change that at any time to suit their needs. And yes, I'm sure Apple knows exactly what they are doing. But the cycle we are used is different...And well, delayed (from what was the norm). So whether it's an actual delay or just a change in cycle to suit Apple's needs (and I'm leaning towards the latter) is anyones guess. But I for one totally understand what people are referring to when they say that iphone 5 has been delayed. I've seen the term thrown around a thousand times by people on here (including myself) and I have never had the urge to correct or flame someone because of it, let alone start a thread. And let's not forget, NO ONE knows why we don't have an iPhone 5 yet. And until we find out any different, people can speculate, and spin it anyway they want. And no one is more right or wrong then anyone else.

I'd be curious to know what people would be saying if Apple released the iPhone 5 in May. I have a feeling that 99.99% of the people would be talking about how it was released early. And no one would be correcting anyone.

18. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I agree that this very well may have been a release cycle change. I guess we will see for sure next year.

As for someone bringing up the guy from Verizon comments... He new nothing more then anyone else here did. Apple does not trust their partners that much to give them more then the absolute minimum of notice before a product launch. Apple is the only company that can get away with that.

19. shandyman Suspended

exactly, it's amazing how many people are failing to grasp this point and just jump to screaming delays due to design failure/random US carrier getting the iPhone 4 late so the rest of the world has to wait/tsunami/steve jobs fault/whatever

exactly, the Verizon blokes comments are irrelevant on that exact basis.

20. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I can see Apple trying to stagger iPad and iPhone release cycles for many reasons. I'm betting this is a major culprit!

21. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Same thing for pregnancy ;)

But in all seriousness, I wonder if there was some kind of delay which turned out to be a favorable thing for Apple. Thus our new cycle.

22. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Well... except for the white iPhone 4... which they delayed nearly a year. :)

Not sure if the delayed white iPhone 4 was a planned eventuality or if they actually were having problems with manufacturing, as so many rumors point to...

Maybe this was a "planned delay," whereby Apple gave itself more time to work on iPhone 5, and also to give the iPhone 4 more runtime. I was hoping Steve would take the stage and maybe say why they're releasing it in Sept/Oct instead of June/July, but let's see...

23. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I do believe that Apple intended to wait for a fall release.

It amazes me that Apple can keep all the carriers in the dark. I kind of admire it in a sinister kind of way.

24. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

When will the iphone 5 be announced and when will we actually be able to purchase it? anyone?

25. aohus macrumors 68000

most everyone is saying that the launch date will be Oct. 7, and the unveiling date will be a week before that. Latest it would launch is Mid-October.