The next iPhone may end up having battery being its focus

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Apple uses variable refresh rate in the iPad pro to be energy efficient and provided they can dual source chips made with FINFET+ (14 or 16nm, whichever one they find to be better) and add the variable refresh rate tech to the iPhone we may see much better noticeable battery life gains.

Reactions: cariacou

James6s

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Extra battery life would be good on future iPhones but I'm happy with my 6S as it can get over 2 days without going near a charger, what is it that Sony boast about... 2 day battery life and their devices have around 3000mAh rated batteries! So my 6S isn't doing too bad with it's 1715mAH battery. Just shows you how good the tech is inside the iPhone compared to power hungry Android! :D

Reactions: zBoost and Simacca

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Maybe. But Apple seems to be targeting what they consider to be 'all-day' battery life for an average user across all of their product lines, and has shown repeatedly that they will place their focus in other areas while keeping battery life approximately the same. I'm not counting on that changing any time soon.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Maybe. But Apple seems to be targeting what they consider to be 'all-day' battery life for an average user across all of their product lines, and has shown repeatedly that they will place their focus in other areas while keeping battery life approximately the same. I'm not counting on that changing any time soon.
Its extremely irritating to know that they could focus on just battery optimisation yet they don't.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I get an all day battery life on my 6s with moderate to heavy use. Compared to my Samsung Galaxy s5 which has a 2800mah battery, which I never really got a full day from. I think it's amazing what apple can do with such a small battery.

Reactions: HEK and James6s

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Extra battery life would be good on future iPhones but I'm happy with my 6S as it can get over 2 days without going near a charger, what is it that Sony boast about... 2 day battery life and their devices have around 3000mAh rated batteries! So my 6S isn't doing too bad with it's 1715mAH battery. Just shows you how good the tech is inside the iPhone compared to power hungry Android! :D
Er no. If Apple boasts one day of usage for the iPhone and you get two, then its very likely that the Sony phone would give you close to a week off charge. Please don't turn this into an Android vs iOS thread...

iAstonish

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
It's the software, not the tech tbh

Reactions: HEK and James6s

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Why. The 6S and 6S+ have batteries that are more than good enough for most users. Unless they come up with new battery chemistry or make the phone bigger or fatter to allow more battery, it will remain the same. New circuitry will help but only give an incremental increase in battery life.

The battery is fine in both phones. My S+ lasts all day and still has over 50% left at the end of the day. For those who live on their phone, play games and watch movies all day, get a job!

Reactions: HEK

James6s

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Er no. If Apple boasts one day of usage for the iPhone and you get two, then its very likely that the Sony phone would give you close to a week off charge. Please don't turn this into an Android vs iOS thread...
I've had a few devices from the Xperia Z range of phones and a few Samsung devices (S5 & S6) with larger batteries, No they do not last a week at all.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Why. The 6S and 6S+ have batteries that are more than good enough for most users. Unless they come up with new battery chemistry or make the phone bigger or fatter to allow more battery, it will remain the same. New circuitry will help but only give an incremental increase in battery life.

The battery is fine in both phones. My S+ lasts all day and still has over 50% left at the end of the day. For those who live on their phone, play games and watch movies all day, get a job!
Do you know what variable refresh rate even IS?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not sure of that. In my experience with Android devices, they have significantly worse standby power consumption than iOS ones. That standby battery life is one of the most important things for me in making the device easily fade into the background of my life. It becomes an appliance that I can always count on to be ready when I need it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've had a few devices from the Xperia Z range of phones and a few Samsung devices (S5 & S6) with larger batteries, No they do not last a week at all.
I think his point was light use of the 6S not being relevant to a battery comparison.
If I owned a 6S it would need charging twice a day, whereas I could get a day or more from an Xperia Z.

Reactions: TechGod

tranceking26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Better battery life would be good.

I wonder if Apple has a team that is dedicated to battery performance?

Applefan4

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Over 2 days on a regular 6S? What do you do with it? Check the time couple of times a day?

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013

Oh please stop with that nonsense "get a job". Hey guess what? They might be super rich successful businessmen who have other people do all the hard work for them or they already retired. That's how they can have free time watching movies all day while you're working your ass off

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Over 2 days on a regular 6S? What do you do with it? Check the time couple of times a day?
I guess he doesn't use it. Just take it out of his pocket to admire the iphone's beauty then put it back in his pocket. So basically 2 days is the standby time

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
This the same thing I was thinking. He/she must not use their 6s at all. Even with my 6 plus I don't get 2 days charge.

James6s

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Heres a few screen shots of my battery stats, the first one is as it is currently and the second is just before I put it on charge the other day. No I'm not a heavy user.
bat1.PNG

bat2.PNG

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Oh please stop with that nonsense "get a job". Hey guess what? They might be super rich successful businessmen who have other people do all the hard work for them or they already retired. That's how they can have free time watching movies all day while you're working your ass off
and then he may not. "Might be"

LOL!

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I don't even CARE. :p
Then you shouldn't have said the crap about variable refresh rate giving an incremental boost in battery. You also shouldn't have gone on your rant about how the only way to improve battery life is by cremming more in. Apple would like to disagree with you as they increased the efficiency of other components and reduced the battery size from the 6/6+ and achieved the same battery life. That obviously proves that efficiency in other components can certainly improve battery life.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Then you shouldn't have said the crap about variable refresh rate giving an incremental boost in battery. You also shouldn't have gone on your rant about how the only way to improve battery life is by cremming more in. Apple would like to disagree with you as they increased the efficiency of other components and reduced the battery size from the 6/6+ and achieved the same battery life. That obviously proves that efficiency in other components can certainly improve battery life.
It also proves you know not what you are talking about. But like I said I do not care except for the entertainment value of your posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.