The next iPhone may end up having battery being its focus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TechGod, Oct 11, 2015.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Apple uses variable refresh rate in the iPad pro to be energy efficient and provided they can dual source chips made with FINFET+ (14 or 16nm, whichever one they find to be better) and add the variable refresh rate tech to the iPhone we may see much better noticeable battery life gains.

2. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

Extra battery life would be good on future iPhones but I'm happy with my 6S as it can get over 2 days without going near a charger, what is it that Sony boast about... 2 day battery life and their devices have around 3000mAh rated batteries! So my 6S isn't doing too bad with it's 1715mAH battery. Just shows you how good the tech is inside the iPhone compared to power hungry Android! :D

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Maybe. But Apple seems to be targeting what they consider to be 'all-day' battery life for an average user across all of their product lines, and has shown repeatedly that they will place their focus in other areas while keeping battery life approximately the same. I'm not counting on that changing any time soon.

4. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Its extremely irritating to know that they could focus on just battery optimisation yet they don't.

5. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I get an all day battery life on my 6s with moderate to heavy use. Compared to my Samsung Galaxy s5 which has a 2800mah battery, which I never really got a full day from. I think it's amazing what apple can do with such a small battery.

6. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Er no. If Apple boasts one day of usage for the iPhone and you get two, then its very likely that the Sony phone would give you close to a week off charge. Please don't turn this into an Android vs iOS thread...

7. iAstonish macrumors member

iAstonish

It's the software, not the tech tbh

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'd love if Apple actually focused on the battery life. 'Good Enough' battery life is getting a bit boring.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why. The 6S and 6S+ have batteries that are more than good enough for most users. Unless they come up with new battery chemistry or make the phone bigger or fatter to allow more battery, it will remain the same. New circuitry will help but only give an incremental increase in battery life.

The battery is fine in both phones. My S+ lasts all day and still has over 50% left at the end of the day. For those who live on their phone, play games and watch movies all day, get a job!

10. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

I've had a few devices from the Xperia Z range of phones and a few Samsung devices (S5 & S6) with larger batteries, No they do not last a week at all.

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Do you know what variable refresh rate even IS?

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm not sure of that. In my experience with Android devices, they have significantly worse standby power consumption than iOS ones. That standby battery life is one of the most important things for me in making the device easily fade into the background of my life. It becomes an appliance that I can always count on to be ready when I need it.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I think his point was light use of the 6S not being relevant to a battery comparison.
    If I owned a 6S it would need charging twice a day, whereas I could get a day or more from an Xperia Z.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I don't even CARE. :p

15. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

Better battery life would be good.

I wonder if Apple has a team that is dedicated to battery performance?

16. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Over 2 days on a regular 6S? What do you do with it? Check the time couple of times a day?

17. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Oh please stop with that nonsense "get a job". Hey guess what? They might be super rich successful businessmen who have other people do all the hard work for them or they already retired. That's how they can have free time watching movies all day while you're working your ass off

18. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I guess he doesn't use it. Just take it out of his pocket to admire the iphone's beauty then put it back in his pocket. So basically 2 days is the standby time

19. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

This the same thing I was thinking. He/she must not use their 6s at all. Even with my 6 plus I don't get 2 days charge.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There isn't a phone on the planet that I wouldn't need to charge every night.

21. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

Heres a few screen shots of my battery stats, the first one is as it is currently and the second is just before I put it on charge the other day. No I'm not a heavy user.
    bat1.PNG

bat2.PNG

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

and then he may not. "Might be"

LOL!

23. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Why does other people's phone usage patterns bother you?

24. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Then you shouldn't have said the crap about variable refresh rate giving an incremental boost in battery. You also shouldn't have gone on your rant about how the only way to improve battery life is by cremming more in. Apple would like to disagree with you as they increased the efficiency of other components and reduced the battery size from the 6/6+ and achieved the same battery life. That obviously proves that efficiency in other components can certainly improve battery life.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It also proves you know not what you are talking about. But like I said I do not care except for the entertainment value of your posts.