The Next iphone Will Be My First And Last iphone.( for a long time)

iD4V3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
yupp you read that title correct:)

since 2007 of the original iphone release, i have always wanted one of these beauties, but i have never been able to get one recently, and due to the time scale have obviously decided to be wise and hold out for the NextGen/G4 iphone/HD whatever it may be called :)

my reasoning behind keeping from purchasing another unit in the future, is from what i have seen, this phone will be 100% capable of what i need it too do, decent camera, but the possibilities of web-cam/video call etc would be great and this would be everything i need, on top of what the phone is already capable

although I feel within 5 years the technology could be fairly out dated, i plan to upgrade when i really have too, for example, my phone met a brick wall :) but in the meantime, i hope the G4 will impress on june 7th and be the phone that will last me a very long time :)

btw if i have to be reffered to this thread this time next year when i say im upgrading to iphone 5, then i welcome all bashing :) haha

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
This is what we all say at first.....You will be suckered into the next upgrade and the one after that.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
"A long time" could mean many things.. I plan to keep this next iphone for 2 years skipping next years model. I'm still using my 3G having skipped the 3GS. Now if apple decides to come out with a 4 inch screen next year, I'll change my mind.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm still using my original iPhone. It's still more capable than many, if not most, smart phones albeit, a bit slower. I've been fine with it but now it has to go. I came to that conclusion 10 minutes after using my iPad the first time. :D

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, when I buy my Verizon one, I'm never buying another phone again. The HD camcorder I get will be my last camcorder, my HD tv is the last tv and I will stop playing with myself when I'm done with that in a few minutes, too.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
Yeah, when I buy my Verizon one, I'm never buying another phone again. The HD camcorder I get will be my last camcorder, my HD tv is the last tv and I will stop playing with myself when I'm done with that in a few minutes, too.
We shall see how hairy your palms are in a month.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I'm still using my original iPhone. It's still more capable than many, if not most, smart phones albeit, a bit slower. I've been fine with it but now it has to go. I came to that conclusion 10 minutes after using my iPad the first time. :D
Myeh, I'm keeping mine. I was sorely disappointed in the 3GS' little improvement over the original (it felt like exactly the same phone, I returned it) and am not expecting to find the new one worth the price either.

I'll just keep this one till it breaks basically. The iPhone doesn't improve enough year on year to warrant upgrading for the sake of it.

I do jailbreak though, so mine has more than the standard functionality.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I say now that I won't be upgrading to this year's phone because of how great my 3GS has been and the fact that I'm not eligible for upgrade until November but I really doubt that's how it'll pan out.

Only way I'm cemented where I'm at is if all new features of the next phone are available via jailbreak (minus the front facing camera; I've no need for it).

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
The next iPhone looks pretty impressive based on its specs. Count me in if there's a 64GB white one.

adub35

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Central Valley, CA
I got the original the day it came out, after having it for a little over a year I switched to a Samsung Epix, kept that phone for about a week before I returned it for my current phone the iPhone 3G my contract expires at the end of the month so i will get the new 4th gen iphone. I skipped the 3gs and will probably skip the 5th gen to get the 6th gen which will hopefully be an LTE or 4G phone

ct2k7

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2008
London
i plan to upgrade when i really have too, for example, my phone met a brick wall :)
Hey, look at me, I've had my iPhone (original) since it came out, and I haven't upgraded, even having been offered a free upgrade.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I'm kinda the same as the OP.

I bought the original iPhone, didn't touch the 3G, 3GS.
Now I'm buying the iPhone 4 and won't buy the 5th and 6th.

Always skipping two generations.
So I hope the next iPhone will be able to take nice pictures for Facebook and have 64GB of storage - then I won't need anything more for the next years.

The average price for an iPhone here in Denmark is around $1.000.

JReinn

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Denmark
I'm kinda the same as the OP.

I bought the original iPhone, didn't touch the 3G, 3GS.
Now I'm buying the iPhone 4 and won't buy the 5th and 6th.

Always skipping two generations.
So I hope the next iPhone will be able to take nice pictures for Facebook and have 64GB of storage - then I won't need anything more for the next years.

The average price for an iPhone here in Denmark is around $1.000.
That's for a non-contract iPhone. I paid around $300 for my 3G with a 6 months (minimum) contract. I'm guessing it has always been this way, but if you're going to get the 64GB model, I think it might end up costing $400-500.

Btw. I'm from Denmark too.

rkswat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
btw if i have to be reffered to this thread this time next year when i say im upgrading to iphone 5, then i welcome all bashing :) haha
I think you are over estimating people's interest in you..... I don't think people are going to come back in 1+ years just to check this thread. I do thank you for letting us know though.... I was wondering what your iphone plan was for the future.

It is good you waited for the 4th gen though, it should rock. I update every year and am excited to do so this time around. Love the new look and specs. Front facing camera = meh but the rest is pretty sweet.

....I was sorely disappointed in the 3GS' little improvement over the original (it felt like exactly the same phone, I returned it) and am not expecting to find the new one worth the price either.
Personal opinion is cool.... but to say the 3gs was "little improvement over the original is totally insane. Not enough for you to upgrade is one thing but to say it wasn't much of an improvement is again, lunacy.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
That's for a non-contract iPhone. I paid around $300 for my 3G with a 6 months (minimum) contract. I'm guessing it has always been this way, but if you're going to get the 64GB model, I think it might end up costing $400-500.

Btw. I'm from Denmark too.
How much will the 64GB end up costing overall with a contract in danish valuta you think?

JReinn

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Denmark
How much will the 64GB end up costing overall with a contract in danish valuta you think?
I think you'll pay around 2500 DKK in the beginning and then 600 DKK every month for 6 months. After the 6 months you can change your contract to w/e you want (I Have the following contract with Telia: Free SMS, 200 minutes of talking and 10GB of data which costs 400 DKK/Month.) I'm considering in changing to 1 or 2GB a month of data when I get the new iPhone, as that'll be enough for me. (To get DKK (Danish Valuta) to $ just divide it by 5)

But again, this is not for sure, this is just my guess ;)

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
I think you'll pay around 2500 DKK in the beginning and then 600 DKK every month for 6 months. After the 6 months you can change your contract to w/e you want (I Have the following contract with Telia: Free SMS, 200 minutes of talking and 10GB of data which costs 400 DKK/Month.) I'm considering in changing to 1 or 2GB a month of data when I get the new iPhone, as that'll be enough for me. (To get DKK (Danish Valuta) to $ just divide it by 5)

But again, this is not for sure, this is just my guess ;)
I used to divide by 6.
Anyway, that's the exact same contract at Telia I'm getting.
Though, I thought the only options were 1GB & 10GB with Telia Flex.

rkswat

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
Saturday, May 22, 2010

1 US Dollar = 5.92840 Danish Krone
1 Danish Krone (DKK) = 0.16868 US Dollar (USD)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
When I purchase my computers and phones, I go with the idea that it will last me a long time. Needless to say when the newest latest thing hits the streets, I'm usually in line for a new one.

The iPhone 4g is the exception, based on what I've seen from gizmodo and working with the beta, i'm a little underwhelmed and I'll not be getting the latest iPhone

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Why not wait till the next version then?

iPhone HDs?

It'll probably have a dual core CPU and maybe even a dual core GPU, updated 5mp camera with 1080p, Super AMOLED screen.