The next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dacapo, Oct 28, 2010.

1. dacapo macrumors 6502

The white iPhone 4 seems to be no longer, and the CDMA iPhone is on the horizon. So, what are your predictions for the next iPhone and when it'll be released?

My guess: the next iPhone will be a GSM/CDMA combined version released in early Spring 2011 with modifications to the antenna design with a silver metallic backing on the iPhone (like the iPod touch and the macbook pros/airs). This would imply no white iPhone, no black iPhone, just a silver iPhone with a black glass front. I don't think there will be any change in the pixel count from iPhone 4, (although it's possible that the form factor may get slightly larger, but not likely). Ram & storage will remain the same.

2. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure that'll work too, I guess. :p

But I was hoping for actual hardware predictions as opposed to a free-for-all wishlist on iOS features as well as some predictions about timing.

But if this thread needs to die a slow death, so be it. :D

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You are crazy if you think apple is going to all of sudden move focus from GSM iphone to CDMA iphone. CDMA is a dead technology, period. It doesn't allow you to do voice and Data at the same time. CDMA carriers have too many controls on both apple and customer. With GSM carriers, it's not. It is much easier to just swap phones from sim to another. GSM is a standard and CDMA is not, period.

If apple releases an iPhone on Verizon, then it is most likely going to be released early next year, but it will be similar to iPhone 4. iPhone 5 will be coming next summer, but it will most likely to be released on AT&T first before Verizon. No way, apple can handle traffics from 2 biggest carriers in the US. They both have over 92 million of customers in US. That's about 60-70% of US cell users. Good luck with that apple. I would release it on GSM carrier before CDMA.

4. aluren macrumors 65816

Is there such a thing as "actual hardware predictions"? ;)

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Iphone 5 will most likely have minor updates made to it. It'll still look the same, maybe a better camera, 64gb storage (hopefully), and some other little nifty do-dads. Don't expect much considering Apple's track record for updating their phones. Now iPhone 6 should be something to look forward to but that's another, another, another, another, another, another thread.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was thinking the same thing, what's the difference between Actual Hardware Predictions and a Wish-list?

is hoping for a camera with a higher MP a Prediction or Wishful thinking? What about thinner form factor? larger screen? CDMA? faster processor? what category do these fall under?

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

8. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

My choice of the word "actual" may have been inaccurate. ;)

Having said that, there is a difference between a prediction and a wish-list. The other list that was linked was a "wishlist" which detailed what people want to see in future release(s). A prediction is a statement about what one deems to be the "most likely outcome" of the future release(s). [Think of wishlist as "anything goes" or "brainstorming", and a prediction as "yeah, these are all great ideas, but I think Apple will do ABC as opposed to ABCDEF...]

For example, there is nothing wrong with listing things like "touch sensitive backs" and "3D screen" on a wishlist. But to predict this to happen with the next iPhone release is probably not realistic.

9. nexsta macrumors 6502

Liquid metal unibody in iPhone 5 and no marked antenna dead spot.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There's only been 4 iPhones so far
    Original iPhone-unique design
    3G- change design, add 3G, same hardware
    3GS-same shell, improved hardware
    4-improve hardware, improved shell

There aren't enough iPhone releases to see a pattern yet. The pattern could restart
    Now, or continue in some way, or there could be no pattern at all

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

CDMA is not dead is continuing to be developed. It also has the ability to do voice and data at the same time.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371053,00.asp

CDMA is a standard just like GSM is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000

Stop spreading your ignorance on these forums.

I agree they can't roll out on both carriers at the same time, this is why you'll see a different release schedule for Verizon (hence January or sometime in Q1 instead of July.)

12. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

True, there might be a pattern, there might not be. But judging from their releases, it might be highly plausible that the next iphone (or iPhone 5) wouldn't have that many changes to it.

Original iPhone (oooh, pretty and shiny)
    Original iPhone Gen 2 (small update in capacity)
    iPhone 3G (oooh, faster and new design)
    iPhone 3GS (same thing as 3G, little faster, bump in capacity, camera, etc)
    iPhone 4 (oooh, way faster, newer design, lots of newer features, sexy)
    iPhone 5? - Minor updates? new camera, bump in capacity?
    iPhone 6? - ???

So, by going off this here, assuming there is some pattern, the IP5 would have some minor updates to it and the iPhone 6 would be the next OOOOOH for Apple as far as the iPhone series go. Since this is a rumors forum, I'm guessing not a whole lot of things for the next iPhone but the 2012 model should be something to look out for.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

the "next" iPhone will have glass on the back so that Apple can implement it's rear touch pannel design...and it will be GSM compatible... Verizon will "earn" the right to sell the iPhone when they roll out LTE

14. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, interesting points about the timing on Verizon versus ATT. But I wonder if Apple will want to manage two different types of iPhone releases in the same year. Couldn't they just offer a dual mode iPhone? From a supply chain management perspective, this would seem much easier to manage.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sure, but what's more important to the stockholders, supply chain management or market share growth? Hint....market share growth stands a much better chance of delivering more profit that supply chain managment.

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

There is no CDMA iPhone on the horizon...

Don't you get it?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I get it....why don't you? ANYTHING is possible. I can't say it will happen 100%, but you can't say it won't either.

Well, you can say it....but you have no way of knowing if you are correct so why do you speak in such absolutes? Not very wise.

18. SR2 macrumors regular

If the next iphone doesn't have a dual core processor it's going to be in big trouble. Android and WP7 dual core phones will start rolling out at the begining of the next year if not sooner. The iphone 5 will already be playing catch up. I expect the next iphone to have a dual core CPU.

19. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

let's just say I have my sources...

I'll leave it like that

20. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll grant that you have your sources and I won't ask who they are. But, does that mean all of the articles coming out in WSJ, Fortune, et al about the iPhone for Verizon are unfounded? Or are you saying that Verizon will enable GSM somehow??? (Although that sounds even less likely.:confused:)

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I doubt he has any inside sources, but I would like to point out that these sources have been speculating about a Verizon iPhone for, literally, years. I don't think there's any reason to think the WSJ has more credible information about it now than they ever did.

22. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think WSJ is going for the "Hey, that's what WE said" approach rather than the more formal "We have accurate, reliable proof that Verizon will get the iPhone" approach. Good to see WSJ hasn't lowered themselves, or their standards, all in hopes of claiming more viewers :rolleyes:

23. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

You're one of the few people I actually trust on this forum, so I'm glad you spoke up. (Some people talk in absolutes when they are only conjecturing like everyone else, which does throw me off sometimes. :rolleyes:)

The only thing that has changed recently has been that Verizon has begun carrying iPads, even if only the WiFi models. Which in itself is outright weird if not for some other product launch down the line. (After all, why hasn't Sprint done the same?) So, this latest development does add fuel to the fire of speculation by WSJ and others in the media.

Another thing that did catch my attention was when Steve Jobs piped in on the earnings call and began to tout the iPhone's market share. For a company that traditionally has focused on product design even at the expense of market share, it sounded to me like Apple finally seemed like it was ready to play the market share game. Coincidentally, IDG reported elsewhere that yes, Apple has exceeded Rim in terms of handsets sold, so that's another tangential piece of evidence that Apple has something up its sleeve for 2011 in terms of carriers.

So, I guess I'll stick to my original prediction for a GSM/CDMA combined iPhone in 2011. It's as good a prediction as anyone else's! ha.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Perhaps, but add sources reported by NYT as well. And now the Fortune article? Verizon selling iPads? This rumor has got more steam than any in the past. Anybody flat out ignoring it is just foolish. The entire basis of this site is to pay attention to rumors such as this and vet them out.