The next MacbookPro after our current Unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deceptichop, Mar 22, 2009.

1. deceptichop macrumors regular

here's the deal. My best friend just bought a MBP 15 today. He got the 2.66, 4g, 320@7200. Im happy for him, however he always buys stuff better I. He always has. This is better than my 2.4 4g 250@7200. I considered buying the 17" now and pump it up to 8 gigs of ram just to beat him.

But I want to stay at 15". So, when the NEXT MBP comes out, I HAVE to buy it!! So when will we see the Gen 3? 3 years, 4 years? What do ya'll think?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

a major upgrade will probably be made in about a 1.5-2 years. some will say that the new aranndale chip will be coming in about 8 months but i dont think we'll see it until Q2 2010 at the earliest

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

Put in a SSD drive! One up him quick! heh They do make your machine feel much quicker overall. I would however recommend doing a good bit of research and reading on the SSD topic before jumping in. Some good articles posted on these forums about it :)

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

Wow, you guys are weird.

There's no reason to one up your friend about a computer.

5. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

+12,000.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

You clearly missed the sarcasm in my remark :) Then again it's all text so tough to do without clearly stating it </sarcasm on> etc :rolleyes:

Then again I don't feel the need to list my computer specs as my signature either... ya I'm the weird one :)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Keeping up with the Jones.

It is a losers game, you might as well enter a nut kicking contest.

[​IMG]

8. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replys Shadow and Boss!

Goodness! I just did some research on the upcoming SolidStateDrives. Looks like there will be a 240gig on for $499 fairly soon! Yes, this will indeed crap on my buddy's MBP!!!!!!!!! Im on it!! THanks guys!

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're going to take away all the buttons and make you talk to the ****er.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

put in 6GB DDR3 ram, put in a 512GB SSD. There. You beat him. lol

11. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

AWESOME!!!!!!! Im freaking doing it!! But is the 512 SSD currently available? And also, Shadow mentioned the aranndale chip coming out in the near future. Should I just hold off until that comes out?

12. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

the new proccessor still one years later man :cool:
    just upgrade it now :d

13. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I think they are, but between RAM and an SSD you're looking at (probably) another grand.

Do you really want to piss away a grand on one-upmanship? I mean, even if you guys are both rich, you might just start an endless cycle of out-buying each other.

Good luck!

(for the record, I don't really give a rat's ass about if somebody has something nicer than me, somebody always does)

If you do go for the SSD drive though, I agree, do your research. There's some really BAD ones out there.

14. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Brien, by "bad" you mean NOT good right? Ya, I see there are many different SSD's out there.

and no man, we're not rich. LOL

Well, looks like I will order the extra 2 gigs of Ram right now. I will fiqure out later my best way to install it or have it installed. This is will be much better than his punk ass .26 more processing speed anyday!! And 365 days from now, I will seriously look into another HD. Thanks for your help guys!!

15. svndmvn Guest

just get the 2.93GHz 15" MBP that's currently available, stick a big SSD when you can, and 6 or 8 gigs of Ram as others have mentioned

16. relativist macrumors regular

actually, besides SSD one day, fairly soon you can upgrade to the Seagate 500gb 7200 rpm drive, in addition to a RAM upgrade, you'd have a maxed out - for now - laptop. Next year, you can get the cpu upgrade & SL.

17. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Just get that 17 inch with 8 giggs of ram, 2.93 processor and an SSD drive, blow him right outta the water :D You shouldnt have to buy it to beat him, but heck, if you can afford it :p

18. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

It will make him more nerdy then his friend.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Isn't there a place that will install a custom matte screen in your 15" like on the new uni 17"?

That will make yours more special.

Oh, and thanks for helping out the economy.:D

20. gathart macrumors regular

What is this? What a weird competition. Do you guys also arm wrestle, compare who can do sudokos quickest or compare the size your respective penises?? Stop it! Now!

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

so what if he wants to one-up him. if he's got the dough go for it. no big deal.

22. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I really don't understand why people have to do this to one another.... Although I suppose that it would be beneficial to the failing US economy, millions of nerds and geeks buying tons of computers to beat their even more geeky friends.... I'm happy with what I have, which is a mid-range Macbook Pro, with the Intel 2.53 GhZ chip as well as the 320 Hitachi drive. Works very well for gaming, and keeps up with the video editing and the Photoshop well along with the Boot Camp. :D

23. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha i like it. new economic plan called "Cool Technology One-Upmanship Stimulus"

24. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Uhm, it's actually an extra 4 gigs of RAM, unless your MBP has 3 RAM slots.