Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I haven't really seen much speculation on the next 360? Has anyone?

My take is that MS will be much more quality, backward compatible and price sensitive - just like the Wii. MS won't want to pull another PS3 type of launch (extrememly expensive console price). They'll copy a lot of the PS3 features though...

I think:

Quad Core PPC (for backward compatibility)
Next gen higher graphics than PS3
Slot-loading Blu-ray drive
Compatible with all existing XB360 Controllers and Cables
Ethernet, DVI, Wireless-n, Bluetooth
SD Card Slot (for memory)
4 USB ports (2 in front for charging controllers, 2 in back)
Ability to hook up XB360 HD DVD drive, and an XB360 Memory Reader, and external hard drives.
80 Gig Hard drive, user replaceable

$399

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Backwards compatibility is only important in the first 12 months.

Hell even Sony has proved that this generation too.

But it will be another 2 years, so god only knows if they go PPC route or what GPU they use.

The only thing is they will have learnt the lesson over quality control and the next machine will be really tightened in this area.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think you quite understand MS and the 360.

Proprietary, proprietary, proprietary, proprietary.

How do you expect them to cash in on simple things like wifi and memory cards?

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
better graphics than the PS3? really? :rolleyes:

why would they include SD slots? Jimmi is right, they cant make money that way. Same with using the same cables etc. as the 360. New stuff = more $$$. I'm surprised they don't have xbox branded HDMI cables with a 'special' connector.

wouldn't Blu-ray be iffy since we all know MS has a raging erection for downloadable gaming? and they sure as hell don't wanna give Sony even a penny of royalties (Sony gets some tiny-teeny % of Blu-ray sales I'm sure). Maybe they add a 160/250GB HDD and make it more computer like with installs etc so they can continue to use DVD's? Steam has shown that downloadable game work and sell so maybe MS adapts XBL?

Maybe they'll have their wiimote rip off with it and have 39 different SKU's only to add hardware features month after launch, ****ing over their early adopters... *grumble*

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm surprised they don't have xbox branded HDMI cables with a 'special' connector.

You mean like the current one.

41lfHItkIVL._SS500_.jpg

Which comes with a 'special' optical audio connector ;)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Download games instead of discs? :confused:

How long would it take to download a 25 Gig game instead of releasing it on Blu-ray? :eek:

thats a big reason why MS backd HD-DVD. Anything to slow down any Blu-Ray adoption until it became feasible to have direct-download games. No EB, no Wal-Mart, just $$$$$$$$$. Sony and Nintendo want the same thing no doubt, Sony has actually been probably the most active (PSP full games, PS3 full games, PSone full games)

If they compress the hell out of the file and then install it, maybe it would only take a night or so like on Steam.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The only thing I'm really concern about is there hardware.....MS make sure ya'll test, test and test some more and stop trying to beat the competition out the door...faulty rate is embarrassing.

Also free live would be much appreciated but knowing them....it ain't happening.

PS: Don't skim on the features then charge a premium for things that should be included.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also free live would be much appreciated but knowing them....it ain't happening.

If the next xbox is all about downloads, then they will HAVE to give free LIVE. Remember they will make more than that $50 live charge from each person if they are paying to download games and such directly. Plus with all three concentrating on online sales and gaming it only makes sense.

At the moment LIVE is still in a safe position.

No doubt all 3 consoles may head this way. Sony was the first to declare that they saw the ps4 as coming with no optical drive.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
But didn't the PS3/4 folks say they thought the PS3 was expected to last 10 years? So yeah, no optical drive at that point.

Beyond that who knows. They'll do what they're going to do. They would be stupid as anything if they even started hinting at a new one.

Paul

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But didn't the PS3/4 folks say they thought the PS3 was expected to last 10 years?

God can you imagine really... 8.5 more years of 576p games ... ewwww ;):p

10 years the ps3 may live, it does not mean that ps4 won't come out after 5/6 ;) Much like how PS2 is still around and supported after PS3.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
= is all for downloads. I don't live too near a town so it's great to get games on the actual day of release! Without paying through the nose for 24 hour delivery. Steam has the right idea with preloading games with unlocking on the day they're "released". I've only got a 2mb broadband connection (and 512kbps before that) but it's still my preferred way of getting games.

So long as it's like the Virtual Console/Steam with an unlimited number of downloads.

I'd rather do this than pay more for a console with a redundant (for me, this also includes DVD) optical drive that imposes storage limits, increases loading times, can be damaged or lost etc.

And then in 10 or so years time imagine the speed of residential broadband. There's already a huge discussion going on with ISP's in the UK over the BBC iPlayer, about how some people believe bandwidth limits should be dropped and speeds increased. So hopefully that'll kick some arses.
Heck you can even get 20mbps connections here over cable! a 9gb game could be downloaded in 1 hour 4 minutes and this is with current tech. For you folk who think 50gb is necessary in gaming it would take 5 hours on such a connection.

(and yes I know game sizes will increase in the upcoming years, but codecs also get better... oh noes! compression :rolleyes:)

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
I'd be mildly surprised if there is another Xbox. Microsoft failed with the original Xbox and it's evident that they've failed with this one. It's a niche product, bought mostly by people in North America and a minority concern everywhere else. That's not to mention the ridiculous costs of fixing the things.

Microsoft can attempt to pump more money into hardware that is of interest to a shrinking part of the market (emerging Asian gaming markets aren't going to buy it, and that is where future expansion is), but it's just throwing money away.

Microsoft's bet was always to launch early and to build up enough of a lead to make buying a PS3 a non-starter. It is now evident that the strategy failed (even though they stuffed the retail challenge to obfuscate this). PS3s have been outselling Xboxes worldwide for a few months now. The PS2 is still a strong seller, giving Sony essentially free money since its development costs were paid a long time ago. None of the big PS3 exclusives have hit yet either (meaning MGS and the full version of GT).

The 360 has no blu ray. That's basically the problem. A next gen console without next gen storage. Within a couple of years there will be PS3 games that will be impossible to replicate on a 360 because it doesn't have the storage space. As for the idea of many PS3s being bought for blu ray playback, the GTA sales numbers have put that to rest (a higher proportion of PS3 users have bought the game so far - let's be charitable, maybe Xbox owners are waiting because theirs is in the shop).

So Microsoft can try to launch early again, but if they do that, it will be clear to customers that buying an Xbox is a losing proposition, since Microsoft EOL's them too soon.

Even with Sony's troubles with launching the PS3, Microsoft hasn't been able to make much of a dent. People like Xboxes in North America, but no-one else gives a damn.

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
Microsoft can attempt to pump more money into hardware that is of interest to a shrinking part of the market (emerging Asian gaming markets aren't going to buy it, and that is where future expansion is), but it's just throwing money away.

Are you kidding me? PC gaming is the only market area that is shrinking. Have you looked at console sales numbers lately? (not just Microsoft, all consoles)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
But MS could easily take the wind out of Blu-Ray's extra storage if they simply let devs USE THE ****ING HARD DRIVE! Honestly, screw 'arcade' buyers, their idiots and deserve to have to pay more for their stupid lack of foresight.

But then xbots won't be able to whine bout install times on PS3 because the 360 will have them too. Christ forbid you have to wait 5 minutes before playing a game. We need it NOW!!!!!

^ and PC gaming isn't shrinking. It's growing just in 'casual' games and free online gaming as opposed to 'regular' games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Are you kidding me? PC gaming is the only market area that is shrinking. Have you looked at console sales numbers lately? (not just Microsoft, all consoles)

Are you kidding me? The PS3 and Xbox 360 are all performing worse than their previous gen systems. Infact just the Wii is doing well (in consoles). PC gaming isn't shrinking either. It's being slowly replaced by digital distribution (Steam and other services).

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Since when do manufacturers truly change the backbone of their system?

Was the Slim PS2 THAT different from the PS2?

Why would MS create an XBOX360 2.0 which would make all the previous models not only lackluster but possibly useless with future endeavors.

Is not the idea of a console (say, vs a PC) is to make it so you never have to update...just milk it for 3-5yrs and make a newer, better machine.

How does making a SUPER 360 benefit anyone?

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
The 360 has no blu ray. That's basically the problem. A next gen console without next gen storage. Within a couple of years there will be PS3 games that will be impossible to replicate on a 360 because it doesn't have the storage space.

I'm still not convinced this is a real issue. If you look at the market over the last few years, it's moving towards shorter games. As the gaming demographic shifts from teens to working professionals I think we'll see games in general become more pick up and play and/or episodic.

There will still be a place for the 200 hour involving games, no doubt. But when I think about the kind of games people with the disposable income required to participate in console gaming are going to play in the next 5 years, 100 hours of story is not going to work.

Plus, I think the 5gb mandatory installs to "cut load times by 10%" is complete marketing BS. 2x and 50gb is not fast enough to stream the content to the cell, pure and simple. If it was, why are the installs not optional?

/I have a 360 and a PS3. I like them both. But I think Blu-Ray is a movie format that marketing has shoehorned into gaming with the party line "you'll need it for games!" You don't. 5% of the time, maybe. But the other 95% I'll just get the game for 360 because it runs fine off of an inferior disk ;)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
With today's economy, I don't see paying more than $29/month for a 1Meg DSL line...

I still can't see trying to download a 50 Gig or even a 25 Gig game over this.

I don't even download HD on AppleTV anymore because that takes too long - I'd rather get the disc...

Plus, who wants DRM all over their games? You can't exactly go and sell or trade that game in... :eek:

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
^^^^

Who's going to spend $50 on a game you can't ever sell or trade for something else?

Not me...

Not to sound like a broken record, but the future is smaller episodes. I think we'll see games released over time in smaller chunks at cheaper prices. This basically takes the publishers out of the equation and replaces them with the hardware providers (which is the point for Sony and MS).

Developers release a short "demo" that has the graphical assets and basic code framework for ~$15. Then in a few weeks time the simply post the next episode of the game. It's a small download because it only contains animation code and some voice work. Again, the basic game assets are already there. It's like the replays in racing games. The files are tiny because the code needed to render the scene is already there.

So you only play a game as long as it's interesting. It will naturally weed out crappy games (good for us) and see that successful narratives continue on for many seasons (like popular TV shows).

This is great for the games business. The quality will go up, the acting will get better (easy to get actors to commit to a few thousand lines instead of 100 thousand), and the writing will improve. We win.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
Not to sound like a broken record, but the future is smaller episodes. I think we'll see games released over time in smaller chunks at cheaper prices. This basically takes the publishers out of the equation and replaces them with the hardware providers (which is the point for Sony and MS).

Developers release a short "demo" that has the graphical assets and basic code framework for ~$15. Then in a few weeks time the simply post the next episode of the game. It's a small download because it only contains animation code and some voice work. Again, the basic game assets are already there. It's like the replays in racing games. The files are tiny because the code needed to render the scene is already there.

So you only play a game as long as it's interesting. It will naturally weed out crappy games (good for us) and see that successful narratives continue on for many seasons (like popular TV shows).

This is great for the games business. The quality will go up, the acting will get better (easy to get actors to commit to a few thousand lines instead of 100 thousand), and the writing will improve. We win.

That's assuming a lot, and also, a somewhat narrow spectrum of games. If I have to play some next generation Mario Kart like that I'd be really annoyed, or closer to home, Gran Tourismo 7 or whatever. Constantly being nicked for $15 or $20 would get old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.