Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
How common is it for Nintendo games or hardware to be buggy at launch?

Uncommon. The only hardware that had issues at launch was the Switch. Many launch units had dead pixels and the ones that have been in use lately ended up getting bloated batteries recently. Fortunately Nintendo gave free replacements for any year 1 Switches that got bloated batteries.

Game wise it's very uncommon for a Nintendo game to be buggy at launch...unless your name is Pokemon. Mainline Pokemon games are just prone to being buggy pieces of poo, and ever since moving to 3D it's only gotten considerably worse. Scarlet and Violet is the worst one yet, like it's damn impressive how broken it was and how poor it runs and despite that it still moved over 20 million copies in just a matter of months. Well that's Pokemon fans for you, doesn't matter how broken awful and unfun their games are they'll still buy it then gaslight criticism online.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Uncommon. The only hardware that had issues at launch was the Switch. Many launch units had dead pixels and the ones that have been in use lately ended up getting bloated batteries recently. Fortunately Nintendo gave free replacements for any year 1 Switches that got bloated batteries.

Game wise it's very uncommon for a Nintendo game to be buggy at launch...unless your name is Pokemon. Mainline Pokemon games are just prone to being buggy pieces of poo, and ever since moving to 3D it's only gotten considerably worse. Scarlet and Violet is the worst one yet, like it's damn impressive how broken it was and how poor it runs and despite that it still moved over 20 million copies in just a matter of months. Well that's Pokemon fans for you, doesn't matter how broken awful and unfun their games are they'll still buy it then gaslight criticism online.
Did you play Scarlet and Violet? Were/Are they broken? Yes. Unfun? No, probably the biggest leap for the mainline franchise entries since Ruby and Sapphire. Would they have been better unbroken? Of course! But so would have been Fallout: New Vegas on my PS3, doesn't mean it wasn't fun.

They also aren't really Nintendo games in a sense.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Nintendo’s next console will be even more epic than the Switch if you can play Call of Duty, Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto on it. This would reduce the need to own a PS5 or Xbox for many. There is a big cohort of gamers who literary only play one game.

Alternatively, the Switch successor could play the mobile versions of those games which even a 2 year old iPhone runs well.

Reactions: Pezimak

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Did you play Scarlet and Violet? Were/Are they broken? Yes. Unfun? No, probably the biggest leap for the mainline franchise entries since Ruby and Sapphire. Would they have been better unbroken? Of course! But so would have been Fallout: New Vegas on my PS3, doesn't mean it wasn't fun.

Big leap going open world yes, but that leap isn't as massive if said world is empty with nothing to do except run, catch Pokemon, repeat. Pokemon games have cut legacy feature after legacy feature each generation, and now we're at the point that Pokemon themselves are being cut. When the old $40 DS games are more feature and content rich than the $60 Switch games, something is wrong.

They also aren't really Nintendo games in a sense.

The rights to Pokemon are complicated. Nintendo shares equal ownership of the Pokemon IP with The Pokemon Company and Creatures Inc, having exclusivity rights to the majority of Pokemon games except for the mobile games. Pokemon is represented in Smash Bros since Smash 64

And even with this shared ownership, Pokemon Company mainly just manages the brand media and merchandising, while Nintendo handles the games. So Pokemon are Nintendo games.

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Big leap going open world yes, but that leap isn't as massive if said world is empty with nothing to do except run, catch Pokemon, repeat. Pokemon games have cut legacy feature after legacy feature each generation, and now we're at the point that Pokemon themselves are being cut. When the old $40 DS games are more feature and content rich than the $60 Switch games, something is wrong.

The rights to Pokemon are complicated. Nintendo shares equal ownership of the Pokemon IP with The Pokemon Company and Creatures Inc, having exclusivity rights to the majority of Pokemon games except for the mobile games. Pokemon is represented in Smash Bros since Smash 64

And even with this shared ownership, Pokemon Company mainly just manages the brand media and merchandising, while Nintendo handles the games. So Pokemon are Nintendo games.
Nintendo doesn't handle the games. They are developed by Game Freak who is independent and Nintendo co-publishes the games with The Pokemon Company (that is owned in a three way split between GF, Creatures Inc and Nintendo). And if you want to get really pedantic about it if Japanese wikipedia is to be believed The Pokemon Company is the one that holds the rights and Nintendo is just acting as a distributor similar to how they have published some Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy titles in the west. English just doesn't make the distinction and calls them both publishers.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Nintendo doesn't handle the games. They are developed by Game Freak who is independent and Nintendo co-publishes the games with The Pokemon Company (that is owned in a three way split between GF, Creatures Inc and Nintendo). And if you want to get really pedantic about it if Japanese wikipedia is to be believed The Pokemon Company is the one that holds the rights and Nintendo is just acting as a distributor similar to how they have published some Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy titles in the west. English just doesn't make the distinction and calls them both publishers.
Game wise it's very uncommon for a Nintendo game to be buggy at launch...unless your name is Pokemon

Yeah, I was going to say, I don't think Pokemon counts since it's actually what they'd call a 2nd party game.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
How common is it for Nintendo games or hardware to be buggy at launch?

Games I'm not sure? But hardware can sometimes have the odd issue. But I just let the first batch or 2 sell out and see if any issues arise like Joycon drift which some consoles did have early on. Probably won't be able to get one anyway.

From the rumours and leaks that are building up, it sounds like it's going to be a right little beasty of a machine. Bring it on!

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I‘ve been wondering when we would finally see a new 3D Mario game like Odyssey. Maybe they are saving this as a launch title for the new system.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

BREAKING NEWS! NINTENDO DIRECT TOMORROW​

eEHkXIVnlUTRSEU8_Y6fjEF91JX0_mQSO6RvEFUHOvS2xfEZjk9vg0ghBC8-UYIJ-2bM_bnTPE99iA=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000236fffffdc9-nd-v1

A major Nintendo Direct already?! What more is there to show? We're in the Switch's twilight year with it's successor on the horizon.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I’m feeling fomo especially since I have a £15 amazon promo code that’s valid on Mario Wonder. However, I’m not a die hard platform game fan. Therefore I worry that I will play the game but get bored after a few days. However I like the RPG aspects of badges and different skills like grapple gun, speed run and higher jumps etc.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I’m feeling fomo especially since I have a £15 amazon promo code that’s valid on Mario Wonder. However, I’m not a die hard platform game fan. Therefore I worry that I will play the game but get bored after a few days. However I like the RPG aspects of badges and different skills like grapple gun, speed run and higher jumps etc.
My copy is supposed to arrive today, but it hasn't flipped over to out for delivery yet.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My copy is supposed to arrive today, but it hasn't flipped over to out for delivery yet.
Ok. I have Fomoed. 😩

Just ordered the game as everyone is talking about in YouTube like when Zelda ToK was released.

My £15 Amazon promo code expires on the 6th November. Can’t think of anything else to spend money on. It dropped the price of MArio Wonder from £40 to £25.

Difficult to not buy the game at that price. Can’t think of anything else that I want/need from Amazon right now. Furthermore, my kids are starting a 2 week autumn break now. Unlike Cyberpunk 2077, this is a game that I can play with volume in the same room as them.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Ok. I have Fomoed. 😩

Just ordered the game as everyone is talking about in YouTube like when Zelda ToK was released.

My £15 Amazon promo code expires on the 6th November. Can’t think of anything else to spend money on. It dropped the price of MArio Wonder from £40 to £25.

Difficult to not buy the game at that price. Can’t think of anything else that I want/need from Amazon right now. Furthermore, my kids are starting a 2 week autumn break now. Unlike Cyberpunk 2077, this is a game that I can play with volume in the same room as them.
Amazon is playing with me, now it says will deliver between 8 and 10 pm. I am pretty sure it won't be here till tomorrow. 😭

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Am interested in this, but I think I'll wait to get some projects done first (get distracted by new releases otherwise). Will also see if I can get it at Costco. It's $5 cheaper, and I have vouchers to use up anyways
Oh it is fun. I am about the do a 4 star bull rush to gauge how hard the game can actually get. My kids don't seem as interesting in it as I am though. 😢

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.