Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Oh it is fun. I am about the do a 4 star bull rush to gauge how hard the game can actually get. My kids don't seem as interesting in it as I am though. 😢
My 12yo nephew has no interest in it either. Not even sure what he plays nowadays. :| Not Fortnite, not Warioware. Something to ask next time I see him.

Reactions: diamond.g

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
How big is the market for 2D Mario nowadays? My kids (6 and 8) love Mario Odyssey, but aren't really very interested in the Mario Maker 2 levels. Are the newer 2D games more of a fan service for the older generation that grew up on those games?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
How big is the market for 2D Mario nowadays? My kids (6 and 8) love Mario Odyssey, but aren't really very interested in the Mario Maker 2 levels. Are the newer 2D games more of a fan service for the older generation that grew up on those games?
Probably the latter. Mario Wonder and 3D World are especially brilliant for busy parents. You can play in bursts of 20-30min. Levels cute which makes it inviting for family to watch and cheer.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Huge. The "New" Super Mario Bros. games sold insanely well. New Super Mario Bros U sold over 20 million copies on Switch and Wii U. Only a few million behind Odyssey. The Wii one sold like 30 million copies, more than Galaxy 1&2 combined.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Sweet! When I bought tears of the kingdom, I did so using the voucher system for 2 games, only I never picked the second game. No I log on and see that Mario Wonder qualifies and I now get my second game!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Nah they play iOS games, lol. My son was playing Starfield for a bit but has moved on to other stuff.

Oh dear lord it's worse than I thought

Don't worry it is curable. I cured my nephews from their fixation on iOS games, so you can to. All it takes is a good curated library of greatness (and also letting them kick your ass in Tekken)

• Haha
Reactions: diamond.g

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Hahaha same here. My kids are off school for two weeks until Monday next week. Don't want to start playing it now and ignore the kids!
I played the first world. Great fun, and quite a novel spin on previous 2D platformers! Game before that is Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Nice thing about Super Mario Wonder, is while it can suck you in and keep you there, it's also better to play in more bite-sized chunks.

The main thing I remind myself is to tell myself that it's a marathon, not a sprint. We can put it down, and resume anytime later.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Sadly will be selling my Switch Lite, my eyes strain when using it, too old, I’ll also be selling my Steam Deck as I’ve hardly used it. I’m going to stick to my 11” iPad Pro and home console and TV for gaming duties.

• Sad
Reactions: txa1265

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Sadly will be selling my Switch Lite, my eyes strain when using it, too old, I’ll also be selling my Steam Deck as I’ve hardly used it. I’m going to stick to my 11” iPad Pro and home console and TV for gaming duties.
Sorry to hear that - I've had to get reading glasses a couple of years ago (mid-50s), but fortunately can still play.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Sorry to hear that - I've had to get reading glasses a couple of years ago (mid-50s), but fortunately can still play.

I got my Lite out to see what sales they had on, and it is flat lol, but I’ll give it another go and the design is just so flipping awesome, it’s small enough for a pocket, has all the controls built in, big difference to the on screen controls of an iPad, and is a nice device. I won’t buy Nintendos new console, but when they release a Lite version of it I may well do.
The Steam Deck is definitely going though.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I much prefer docked mode, but while on travel (which I hardly do, at least the type of travel that also lets me play), it has been nice to get some gaming on-the-go.

I took need to remove my glasses since it makes closer/smaller stuff easier to view. Those lanyards that hang around your neck have been nice!

Reactions: Pezimak

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I really like the lite Switch, but not having a dock mode is a killer for me and why I didn’t get it.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Nintendo got data that quite a few only played in handheld mode. That gave birth to the Switch Lite :oops:
I actually only play in handheld mode ... for me the Switch is next in line from GameBoy/GBA, DS series, PSP, and PS Vita. 95+% of my gaming is either Switch or Steam Deck.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Nintendo got data that quite a few only played in handheld mode. That gave birth to the Switch Lite :oops:
Thats expected. The main appwal of a switch versus a ps or xbox is that you can anywhere. No need to hog the tv or wait for it to become avaivlr OR anti socially abandon your family to play upstairs in a bedroom.

Reactions: txa1265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.