Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Nintendo already has a neat handheld system - the 3DS/2DS systems. They need a great console system as this next one, IMHO, will be their "Dreamcast" system.

I think it would be cool if the rumor of the NX being a standalone smaller Wii U touchpad type system with a detachable "chromcast-like" wireless dongle that attaches to any HDMI tv for a larger or second screen is true. It would have the DS cart slot for NX games, and 3DS/DS games with the external screen being the top screen and friends can bring their system over for multi-player games. All for $199.

But that would make too much sense.... :eek:

hmm, not sure what you mean with the first paragraph. I don't see any doom and gloom for Ninty at all (if that's what you're suggesting with dreamcast - which btw. was one heck of a console!). They just need to streamline their architecture so that lazy devs can easily port their games - combine third party games first Big N's first party line up and play it somewhat conservative with the control type and you'll have a winner.

As could be found in the Wii U thread: I initially thought, dumb and uninformed as I am, that I could use the touchpad as some sort of handheld to game my wii u games when travelling or whaterever :D - so yea, I think that has great potential. And no I don't think Nintendo is too stupid a company. They take a risk, yes, which I ultimately applaud because innovation. But I doubt they make the same mistake twice.

I'm not sure a handheld which can be hooked upon a telly for $199 is something I'd be interested in, but if they manage to make the handheld and console work hand in hand - great.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Never heard that but that's a really good quote.
Here is the exact quote for you:

“When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that’s what you needed on the farm,” Jobs said at our D8 conference in 2010. “But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular. Innovations like automatic transmission and power steering and things that you didn’t care about in a truck as much started to become paramount in cars. … PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of X people.”
http://allthingsd.com/20130109/steve-jobs-was-right-tablets-are-cars-pcs-are-trucks/

I disagree with Jobs idea of a Post PC era. I think tablets are just the new type of PC. But if you consider the desktop PC as the truck then Steve Jobs was really spot on the money there.
[doublepost=1461246965][/doublepost]
The difference is that Apple focuses on premium hardware while Nintendo focuses on affordable hardware. Those times that Nintendo focused the most on affordability over specs are the times they have been the most successful. The Game Boy, DS, Wii and 3DS were all significantly lower spec'd than their competition but they're Nintendo's most successful systems thanks to being affordable while still having excellent software.
So there's really nothing historically that suggest that Nintendo has problems because of their "weak" hardware.
This is not exactly correct.

Nintendo hardware is more like the iPad. Both the iPad and Nintendo hardware have weaker internal CPUs and such. But where the iPad and Nintendo hardware has premium is in the user experience. Apple multi touch 3D screen is revolutionary and so innovative as a method of interacting with the device. The Wiimite (Wii) and gamepad (WiiU) are relatively unique (at the time of release) within the TV console space. They are a premium innovative way to interact with the console.

Both the Apple iPad and Nintendo hardware are affordable, but in terms of the user experience and fun both are premium and some of the worlds best. Both Apple and Nintendo are showing the world it's not what hardware you have, but hoe effectively you use and program for the hardware you have that matters the most.

hmm, not sure what you mean with the first paragraph. I don't see any doom and gloom for Ninty at all (if that's what you're suggesting with dreamcast - which btw. was one heck of a console!). They just need to streamline their architecture so that lazy devs can easily port their games - combine third party games first Big N's first party line up and play it somewhat conservative with the control type and you'll have a winner.
Nintendo do not want lazy half-assed ports on their consoles. It gives the consumers the impression that the console is the home of bad 3rd party games. Streamline the game porting process, yes exactly. But do not allow the develoeprs to use this as excuse for lazy ports.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Looks like there will be a reveal soon:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ntendos_vital_financial_reports_and_briefings

A Timeline and Reassurances on the NX Reveal

The chances of Nintendo revealing the NX concept itself are pretty much zero, as that will surely wait for a high profile streamed event before or during E3, assuming it's at the stage where it can be shown.
That said, the topic will come up, and with both 3DS and Wii U on course for relatively modest sales the pressure is on Nintendo to demonstrate that it's ready to re-capture the console gaming space. As such Kimishima-san is likely to focus on reassuring investors. There may be talk around software support (in terms of numbers, partners on board), more carefully chosen words about a new way to play games and so on. What we might also have is a timeline for a full reveal - investor briefings have, in the past, been used to state that details of major products are due soon, so we may learn just when NX will be emerging into the spotlight.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Nintendo do not want lazy half-assed ports on their consoles. It gives the consumers the impression that the console is the home of bad 3rd party games. Streamline the game porting process, yes exactly. But do not allow the develoeprs to use this as excuse for lazy ports.
I sure hope you are right, because the Wii was the hallmark of those things specifically. The amount of crap and half-assed ports released for that console was amazing.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I suspect that the NX is actually a successor to the 3DS.

Why? It's supposed to be released in early 2017, right? That's exactly 6 years after the launch of the 3DS, which, in turn, released about 6 years after the DS. This seems like they're continuing their pattern - besides, Nintendo has never launched a home console before a handheld upgrade (some may argue that the gameboy was released after the NES, but I'd say it was already the SNES era). Similarly, this makes the Wii U only 4 years old, which is highly unlikely it'll live such little. Alternatively, since Zelda was supposed to release on both the Wii U and NX, Nintendo has NO reason to release their game on two different generations of home consoles, if they want to promote their Wii U successor, they would just ditch the Wii U ASAP and make Zelda for NX. If they want to boost Wii U sales, they would just launch it on Wii U. It would make sense that they will make a Hyrule Warriors type thing, and release it on both the console and handheld.

In my dreams, I'd say the handheld will be called HDS, just like the 3DS meant "3D DS or 3D Screen", the HDS would mean "HD Screens". My wish is that they actually put in a semi-normal screen resolution for both displays, for example a 1280x720p display on top and a 960x720p display on bottom (preferably capacitive). With modern technology, this shouldn't be expensive. But hey, a man can only dream.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I guess some of you called it... :eek:

"Nintendo NX release date delayed until 2017 but Final Fantasy VII, XV remakes likely part of the package?"

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/10505...-likely-part-of-the-package.htm#ixzz40dkh4HpL

I guess it gives them more time for a great launch lineup, plus lower price hardware that will be as powerful as a PS4. Plus it makes the Wii U owners happy that their system is not going to obsolete this year.

I don't know about the original speculation that Nintendo doesn't want to "compete" with the VR craze that is going to be this holiday season.

But does it really compete with people who want to spend $400+ on such a device? :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I guess it gives them more time for a great launch lineup, plus lower price hardware that will be as powerful as a PS4. Plus it makes the Wii U owners happy that their system is not going to obsolete this year.

I don't know about the original speculation that Nintendo doesn't want to "compete" with the VR craze that is going to be this holiday season.

But does it really compete with people who want to spend $400+ on such a device? :eek:

The Wii U based on its forthcoming list of titles (or lack of) is sadly obsolete as far as anything noteworthy outside of Zelda, and much like GC - Wii before it, we all know if rumours of NX power are true, the NX version of Zelda will be the one to get and not the wii u version.

As for launch lineup, sadly unless it gets third party developers on board, the launch line up will likely be very anaemic with Zelda having to do the work. Nintendo have never been good at developing multiple AAA simultaneously - so any other first party launch game outside of Zelda will either be a port (Bandai's Smash Bros) or a very meh! Party game.

Whilst there is an argument that Nintendo doesn't want to kill Wii U sales by announcing and showing NX as E3, consumers are not stupid. Wii U is stagnant, first party titles are not even getting into the top 20 game sales wise with titles like StarFox turning out to be sadly another forgettable entry.

I hope the NX truly has the power to compete with PS4, but by March 2017 the PS4 will likely have surpassed 40 million units sold, XB1 - 25 million. I honestly think NX has an uphill road to compete.

And whilst Zelda is great, it's never been a system seller game, especially recent years. Windwaker, Twilight Princess and SkySword in particular actually only sold reasonably well at retail. WindWaker did better the second time around but Twilight Princess HD never even caused a breeze to knock over a leaf at retail...

It's going to be a tough slog ....

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
NX has in no way been delayed. The assumption that it was going to be released in 2016 was nothing but pure conjecture.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
But your statement to the contrary is by same argument merely conjecture too ...

Not at all, how can it possibly be considered delayed if there hasn't even been any another release date prior to this?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Unless BigN has a much faster console than the PS4 and outputs 4K or good VR (Which I doubt), or has a super gimmick (Which I also doubt), I don't really see what its goal is. Nintendo has shown that they have no clue about online functions, or know how to cater to developers, so they may be facing a Sega this time around.

Reactions: George Dawes

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not at all, how can it possibly be considered delayed if there hasn't even been any another release date prior to this?

How do you know there wasn't an internal one ? Are you privy to ALL the inside information at Nintendo or are you simply guessing as well ?

Just because a company doesn't unveil a predicted deadline to the wilderness doesn't mean they do not have goal dates internally or make internal decision to delay / put back the date. That still constitutes a delay even if the general public are out of the loop.

You're making assumptions just as much as the folks you're accusing of doing the same.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Unless BigN has a much faster console than the PS4 and outputs 4K or good VR (Which I doubt), or has a super gimmick (Which I also doubt), I don't really see what its goal is. Nintendo has shown that they have no clue about online functions, or know how to cater to developers, so they may be facing a Sega this time around.
They didn't previously but they've learnt a lot (seemingly) in the past couple of years. They've already had a "number one" iOS app that's tied to their newly merged online account system. It seems they've arrived now.

As a developer I've found they're a little bit behind Sony, but a lot ahead of MS in terms of catering to us devs. There's a whole complex bunch of reasons why I'm not developing for Nintendo currently, and it's the same for other devs I know too. But no Nintendo were great, even with the Wii U they were really generous.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Lets hope so. One of their big moves for the WiiU was developer support, and that fell through the floor pretty hard.

A third of the games the showed at the WiiUs unveiling never reached the platform or was gutted compared to the offerings for the other platforms.

Reactions: George Dawes

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A third of the games the showed at the WiiUs unveiling never reached the platform or was gutted compared to the offerings for the other platforms.
Hah! I'm curious now, what games were shown? I can't remember at all, just Nintendoland and New Mario U. I do remember the Red Steel debacle before the Wii launched though!

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
How do you know there wasn't an internal one ? Are you privy to ALL the inside information at Nintendo or are you simply guessing as well ?

Just because a company doesn't unveil a predicted deadline to the wilderness doesn't mean they do not have goal dates internally or make internal decision to delay / put back the date. That still constitutes a delay even if the general public are out of the loop.

You're making assumptions just as much as the folks you're accusing of doing the same.

Any internal deadline is completely irrelevant as far as the public is concerned. They haven't made any commitment towards us until there's an official date and that's the only thing that matters.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Any internal deadline is completely irrelevant as far as the public is concerned. They haven't made any commitment towards us until there's an official date and that's the only thing that matters.

You still can't acknowledge that your posts are just as much guess work as anyone else that you challenge can you ?

Pride is such beguiling thing !!!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Hah! I'm curious now, what games were shown? I can't remember at all, just Nintendoland and New Mario U. I do remember the Red Steel debacle before the Wii launched though!
Unfortunately it has been too long for me to remember, and a quick Google wasn't very fruitful. Wikipedia has a small section on developers who promised to develop for the console, but in the end didn't. But other than that no.
I recall being quite amazed at the number of 'hardcore' games that they announced during the unveiling, and most of those never made it to market.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
You still can't acknowledge that your posts are just as much guess work as anyone else that you challenge can you ?

Pride is such beguiling thing !!!

Because it's not. It's a fact that they never made a commitment to us regarding the release of NX before this. As I said, whatever considerations they had internally and unofficially is completely irrelevant.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
They keep harping on about nintendo not using decent hardware but with the snes and gamecube they had the most powerful consoles of their respective generations

If they can pull off something similar I hope it's a big hit

I bought a wii u and it's the worst console I've ever owned.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
In the booklet I got at the WiiU launch day, these games were available on the Australian WiiU Launch day (2012):

• NintendoLand
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • ZombiU
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • COD Black Ops 2
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Darksiders 2
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Warriors 3 Orochi
  • Just Dance 4
  • Sing Party
  • Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
  • FIFA 13
  • NBA2k13
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Epic Mickey 2
  • Rabbids Land

I can confirm all of these were out on the day as I was at the midnight launch party in Brisbane.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In the booklet I got at the WiiU launch day, these games were available on the Australian WiiU Launch day (2012):

• NintendoLand
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • ZombiU
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • COD Black Ops 2
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Darksiders 2
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Warriors 3 Orochi
  • Just Dance 4
  • Sing Party
  • Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
  • FIFA 13
  • NBA2k13
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Epic Mickey 2
  • Rabbids Land

I can confirm all of these were out on the day as I was at the midnight launch party in Brisbane.

I can confirm the bold ... I bought them when I picked up my Wii U !!!! I spent SOOOO much money !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.