The NVIDIA G8600 Timebomb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Riemann Zeta, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

So, it sounds like anyone with a MBP containing an NVIDIA G8600 (G86) generation GPU is pretty much SOL...eventually, the chip will fail. I suppose the same could be said of a number of things, however (no one gets out alive). The question is (give it to me straight, doc): how long do we have until the chip bursts into flames, or whatever it does? It probably depends upon how hot we get the GPU, right? Perhaps running in Mac OS (if you do) most of the time gives the MBP an advantage over pure Vista/NT6 machines. The temp sensor for the GPU in my machine (Penryn-series 512MB G86) seems consistently lower in Leopard than in Windows 2008, suggesting the Mac OS NVIDIA driver has more aggressive (automatic) power management. So we might not see as many failures with the MBP...or am I talking out of my ass?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Thanks for giving my computer a death sentence. :rolleyes:

3. Riemann Zeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, everything dies. Sometimes you get lucky, other times, not so.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is why I sold my mbp lost $200 on it now and dodged a huge bullet!! Great to be back stationary on a nice powerfull desktop! :D

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

6. savvos macrumors regular

I heard one of the things that causes the cards to die faster is the heating and cooling cycle when you turn your computer on and off, which makes the substrate expand and contract more than it should leading to failure. So making the card not get at hot should help and using the computer as a desktop replacement that's on more constantly should help as well. Turning it on and off a lot outside in an Alaskan winter will probably kill it fast.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its not just one of the things, THAT IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM "HEAT CYCLING" which causes the failures due to the bad silicon or the ASIC board to begin with.

8. dimme macrumors 65816

9. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

FWIW, I got an "inside" tip about the next MBP. It's going to be equipped with the 9600M GT with 512 MB.

Maybe that helps some of you who are considering an upgrade once they're released.

10. Dan Lorth macrumors member

moar inside tip plz.

11. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

Seeing as how it doesn't look like the "new" MBP's will be out before I need one I guess I will just have to take solace in the fact that if it breaks apple will fix it.

12. DCSMAC macrumors member

if i buy a macbook pro tomorrow, would it still have a chance of having a defective GPU in it, or has nvidia already started to supply apple with not-defective 8600s for the MBPs?

13. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Yeah, ATI rocks! :)

14. zsft macrumors regular

Hey maybe you don't want to share who your source is, I can respect that. But can you also get an inside tip on the release date? I can use some hope right now lol.

15. Riemann Zeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, I'm sorry. If you also had an AMC Gremlin you could almost start a museum. Like most people here, it's not like I'm gripped with panic trying to offload my laptop--I sticking with it, despite the flaw. Glad I opted for the AppleCare this time, though.

I'd bet that they all have a higher than chance probability of failure, but it is not something I'd lose sleep over.

16. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I won't give out names of course, but by "inside" I do mean "employee".

Believe me, I've tried to get a release date from him, but he's keeping tight lipped about that. :(

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Nvidias report to the SEC states the following -

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

For what it's worth, I can't believe you, and no one else should be able to, either.

You understand, of course.

19. MidiMonk macrumors regular

I hope Apple has a plan for those out of warranty that have a failure based on this public knowledge.I cannot get my wi-fi or keyboard to function properly and accept that Apple doesn't care to fix anytime soon.

BUT, if my video card goes out,I will not pay for it-Nvidia/Apple will.

20. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

It's kind of like owning an xbox 360 actually. You just learn to deal with the fact that it will die at some point lol

21. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I don't find any of this funny.

22. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

They will, but until people start having mass failures then there's really no point...they'll just replace logic boards as they come.

Same with Powermac G5 water cooled systems. Even out of warranty computers get new parts: logic board, processor/heatsink, power supply, power supply cover, absorbent pad. Its not uncommon for Apple to give PowerMac owners a new Mac Pro.

have you even gone to the apple store to get your wifi and your keyboard looked at? Who's fault is that?

23. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Whoa! Guys I just gave Apple almost 2000$ of my summer earnings for a laptop that I need for the next 4 years.

Are you telling me that my Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT will fail on me relatively soon???

I can't afford to keep buying a new laptop every year! Should I be worried??

24. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

Apple Care should cover it

25. MidiMonk macrumors regular

I don't have an Apple store nearby, but my local reseller deems the "issues" to random to do anything.Apple wont talk to me because my warranty is out.So, no its not my fault.