Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
Ok, this is the first i've heard about this... :eek:
I may be jumping to conclusions here but my MBP SR has been overheating a lot lately https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/529314/
Is it too much to think that the GPU is the root cause? Also, i'm currently running custom drivers under Windows from laptopvideo2go.. is it worth reverting to stock drivers in the event of my machine frying so my applecare will still stand?

Guilfox

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Ok, this is the first i've heard about this... :eek:
I may be jumping to conclusions here but my MBP SR has been overheating a lot lately https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/529314/
Is it too much to think that the GPU is the root cause? Also, i'm currently running custom drivers under Windows from laptopvideo2go.. is it worth reverting to stock drivers in the event of my machine frying so my applecare will still stand?

Don't worry, the issue is not with the GPU overheating, rather the issue is with the silicone that binds it to where it it sits and in the cycling of getting hot then cold from when your MBP is being used then shut down.

I personally don't think changing your drivers will affect your Applecare. As a precautionary measure you may want to use the latest NVidia drivers although they only turn your fans on sooner and there aren't any for OS X!

The whole thing is a mess really and decent information is hard to come by as NVidia haven't really said anything and there is a lot speculation that is being taken as gospel.

My advice is sit tight and carry on using your machine as normal, after all it's a pro machine and designed to be used to its full capacity. The 2 year extension to your Applecare is probably a good idea (assuming you don't have it already) then you are covered for 3 years which should safely see your GPU fail and get replaced, if indeed there is an issue, that isn't confirmed yet.

Just my 2 pence worth!

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
Don't worry, the issue is not with the GPU overheating, rather the issue is with the silicone that binds it to where it it sits and in the cycling of getting hot then cold from when your MBP is being used then shut down.

I personally don't think changing your drivers will affect your Applecare. As a precautionary measure you may want to use the latest NVidia drivers although they only turn your fans on sooner and there aren't any for OS X!

The whole thing is a mess really and decent information is hard to come by as NVidia haven't really said anything and there is a lot speculation that is being taken as gospel.

My advice is sit tight and carry on using your machine as normal, after all it's a pro machine and designed to be used to its full capacity. The 2 year extension to your Applecare is probably a good idea (assuming you don't have it already) then you are covered for 3 years which should safely see your GPU fail and get replaced, if indeed there is an issue, that isn't confirmed yet.

Just my 2 pence worth!

Much appreciated, you've put my mind at rest to a degree.. i do have 3yr applecare so i'm sure it will be fine i just didn't want them to take it in, in the event of a failure and then tell me i'm screwed for not using standard drivers..
Thanks again! :D

AlaskanGrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
I heard one of the things that causes the cards to die faster is the heating and cooling cycle when you turn your computer on and off, which makes the substrate expand and contract more than it should leading to failure. So making the card not get at hot should help and using the computer as a desktop replacement that's on more constantly should help as well. Turning it on and off a lot outside in an Alaskan winter will probably kill it fast.

Actually, my IGLOO is insulated quite well, we use penguin and polar bear skins. I hope Ubumchuck, the local computer expert knows how to fix this issue. This computer is the only thing that connects our remote state to the rest of the world.:eek:

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Just get Applecare. I had a friend who's liquid cooled G5 Powermac had the infamous coolant leak problem. It was out of warranty but Apple was generous enough to replace it with a brand new Mac Pro.

Hey who knows? Same thing might happen to current MBP owners. 2 to 3 years from now if your MBP breaks down because of GPU meltdown, Apple might be nice enough to replace it with a current model.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I don't have an Apple store nearby, but my local reseller deems the "issues" to random to do anything.Apple wont talk to me because my warranty is out.So, no its not my fault.

go to another service center. however if the issue is intermittent and cant be replicated then its going to be harder to diagnose. If you mean random = intermittent then it could be more than one thing.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Just get apple care and hope it doesnt die right after the 3rd year... maybe 3 1/2 years? Either way you'll probably want a new laptop by then anyway right?!?

team 79 krunch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I just hope that my new MBP doesn't die during the next 4 years. After that I will be able to replace it if necessary:eek:

isoceles

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
NYC
Hey maybe you don't want to share who your source is, I can respect that. But can you also get an inside tip on the release date? I can use some hope right now lol.

I really hope this is true. I've been waiting for one with a better GPU.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
FWIW, I got an "inside" tip about the next MBP. It's going to be equipped with the 9600M GT with 512 MB.

Maybe that helps some of you who are considering an upgrade once they're released.

Oh lookie here, Wotan called it 3 months ahead of release! +1 for me! :D Looks like my source is rather accurate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.