The OCPD Thread to End All OCPD Threads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mizzoucat, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mizzoucat macrumors regular

First off, when people on this thread refer to being OCD about something, they are mistaken. OCD, or obsessive-compulsive disorder, is an anxiety disorder that causes people to engage in rituals to get rid of obsessive thoughts. This often involves checking locks on doors over and over or washing one's hands several times a day. Obsessing over keeping a material object "perfect" actually falls under OCPD, or obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder can be described as a preoccupation with order and perfectionism.

Secondly, nothing in this world is perfect. Every single device Apple sells has imperfections. How obvious these imperfections are varies, but every one of them has imperfections. Just because you spent $642 on a new iPad doesn't entitle you to a "perfect" item. Do you think the people who spend $200,000 on a Lamborghini get a defect-free car? No, there are hundreds, if not thousands of imperfections that are present. It's just a matter of who is going to be OCPD enough to look for them. Does this affect the performance of the car or the overall beauty of the craftsmanship? No. So, the truth of the matter is: nothing is perfect, nothing will ever be perfect, and you just need to learn to use your devices as intended and stop worrying about stupid ****.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Thanks for what is actually a very enlightening post. I learned something new. :)

3. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

OCPD sounds like a police dept. Orange County maybe..Oakland City??

4. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

If paying $642 did NOT entitle you to a perfect item, then Apple would not exchange your product no questions asked. They would give you a speech similar to your thread. BTW do you know anyone that has purchased a lamborghini? I know someone that has purchased a new ferrari, and believe me when I tell you, it is perfect, and if it wasn't it would be corrected. Free of charge.... Just saying..

5. Djay1 macrumors member

Good point OP. Some of the automobile forums make the nit picking here seem a triffle!

6. klover macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oklahoma City Police Department!

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well well, you seem to be the first Dr. that has been able to make diagnosis, without even talking to a patient.

Seriously, I'm sure many many people on this forum have OCD. My girlfriend (although not on this forum) does. And if she got a mac, and it was pristine, you better believe she'd be obsessive-compulsive disordering over it, ritually cleaning it, out of fear that it would get a single scratch or speck of dust on it.

Just because you don't believe that someone has OCD doesn't mean they don't. It's a very real, very damaging psychological condition, please don't make light of it.

Furthermore, even if someone doesn't have OCD, that doesn't mean they aren't obsessive-compulsive to a degree, with their Apple product. And yes, the easiest, most convenient way to express this obsessive compulsive behavior that isn't typical nor common, and probably effects their "relationship" with their iProduct, would be... OCD.

Because I might obsess over an iPad, but not care if it's perfect... just that it's mine, my own... my precious. And that is OCD.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

9. calilove macrumors member

Almost every thread that is created to complain about a defect, starts with a legitimate problem, then you get a lot of people come in and post "me to".

I have seen a multitude of pictures displaying real issues, and then pictures that are perfectly fine, claiming to have the exact same problem or worse.

What I really think is going on here is buyers remorse, a lot of people who spend money on high end luxury items will be extremely happy or incredibly remorseful.

The iPad is an extremely niche product, and since it is such a new style of device people really have no idea where it will fit into their life.

Do not flame me: I am saying the iPad is niche to the people who would post to forums, not to normal people who do light computing which the iPad excels at.

10. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

Absolutely correct. Perfection is only entitled at $829+tax ;) :cool:

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

12. SporkLover, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

SporkLover macrumors 6502

First off your loss was painful. Thanks for ruining my bracket!

Second, wanting a perfect item and a defect free item are different things. It is not unreasonable to want a defect free item...... Whether the color replication on said item is terrible, whether it have dead pixels, or whether it have a strange clicking noise....l. As a consumer I am entitled to a defect free item. If manufacturers can't provide that, I take my dollars elsewhere. If manufacturers are willing to try and fix that (like apple for all of those issues.....) then more power to them.

And that is exactly why I buy Honda Civics and not Lambo's ;)

And your analogy with the Lambo has a weak link...... If something on the car doesn't do what it's supposed to do, they will address it. Just the same as folks are trying to do with their iPads. If I see a dead pixel, and I'm in a return window or warranty period...... guess what ? I'm going to talk to apple.

13. noteple macrumors 65816

Rubbish

The goal is perfection. It may not always be achieved but it's the goal.

You start with individual parts that must meet tolerances.
    These parts are combined and tested as working assemblies.
    These assemblies are combined with the intent to make a functionally perfect product.

There is not a good better best assembliy practice or pricing.

Though only cosmetic, if you bought a new car and there was a dent in the door or crack in the windshield any normal person would find that unacceptable.

Dents, cracks, chips, discolor, cannot be tolerated in production or should they be tolorated by the end user.

There is only so much automated testing that can detect defects and flag them for rework.

My experience in factories that reward piece production keeping the yield up to meet production will cause some things to get overlooked.

Apple strives for customer satisfaction and does not promote a product that is only good enough.

They will try to replace or adjust the product and keep the customer.

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

Secondal, the weird screen thing seems pretty bad. If I bought one of these (didn't), and got one of those I would have FREAKED!.

Of course I'm OCDPDX#5.

15. matttye macrumors 601

Couldn't have said it better.

If you have to turn the lights out in the room and the brightness of the device up full to spot an imperfection, WHO GIVES A ****?

If people spent more time using the damn thing and less time looking for minor problems, they'd find there's actuall nothing wrong with it.

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

Apple's products are well made but cannot meet arbitrary standards of 'perfection' cooked up after the product is designed and sold.

"Perfect" is a vague and impossible standard; if you look hard enough you will find things in any product which don't satisfy some Platonic ideal.

$642 entitles the purchaser to the product. If the consumer is not satisfied with the product, the seller is free to offer an exchange, but the seller is also free to say "our product does not satisfy your standards, we'll give you your money back instead if you would prefer".

A better car analogy is complaining about the direction of the nap in the Ferrari or the fact that the number of stitches on the seats aren't the same.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

try returning a car over a speck of dust in the paint

you'd get laughed off the lot

18. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Sure just tell just tell people to "stop worrying". That'll work. Why didn't we think of that before?

19. mac jones macrumors 68040

One more thingy....

The fancy car analogy doesn't work. Try returning one to a dealer. Boy that would be funny.

20. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Oklahoma City?

21. mac jones macrumors 68040

You beat me to it..:D

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

hey man, I paid $500 for this car, that entitles me to whatever I want

EDIT: Seriously, I'm amazed at how many people quote the cost of the iPad as though it's a magic number which means every consumer demand must be sated, no matter how off the wall or unreasonable. It doesn't matter if the iPad was $10 or $10,000, there are still reasonable standards and unreasonable ones.

23. aka777 macrumors 6502a

These dimwits also fail to grasp that excessive returns will only force apple to change their policy, which will hurt them more than anyone else.

It's the same crap with the 4S and people complaining about the battery life. One guy had 9 hours of heavy usage (gaming, video, etc) and was complaining that he only had 12 hours standby.

Like I said to another poster, I've seen many bend over backwards for douchebags over the years, only to end up with a loss. Whereas, I've never wasted time for any irrational and unreasonable clients and often told such tools to not let the door hit them on the way out.

It's a win win actually, as it allows me to focus on genuine customers, than waste time and energy with narcissistic entitled egomaniacs barking orders. Moreover, more often than not, I find the biggest tightwads are the most demanding.

24. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

True words.

And let me add:

If youuuuuaaa smeeeeeellllllllll what the Rock is cookin'.