THE OFFICIAL "I'm sick of 'The Official' threads"

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
This is going to be THE OFFICIAL "I'm sick of 'The Official' threads"

I mean, I've started threads before, but none of them have been "The Offical" ones... makes me worry that maybe nobody cares about them if they aren't official...

So here is my OFFICAL thread telling everyone that I'm tired of "the official" threads... can't we all be a little more laid back and less offical around here?

:confused: :p

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
OoooOOo! Ironical. :)

And yea... I'm kinda sick of them too, but it saves us having to see 234073 threads about "my iPod is shipping today!!1!"

/grrr
//why doesn't firebird have spell check built in?
///Windows at school. I should VNC into my PB just to use the spellchecker in safari
////but that's how I killed my router!

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
katie ta achoo said:
And yea... I'm kinda sick of them too, but it saves us having to see 234073 threads about "my iPod is shipping today!!1!"
hahaha- no it doesn't... it just means we have one 'official' one, and 23547563762 'un-official' ones...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Quite frankly, I'm officially sick of official threads stating they are sick of officially-titled 'Official" threads. And that is my official stance on the subject.

ps. what does 'official' mean?

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Google defines official as:

having official authority or sanction; "official permission"; "an official representative"

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
This thread is officially the equivalent of the "official" New PowerBooks Next (official) Tuesday threads that are everywhere. They are so common some of us, namely me, deem them "NPBNT" threads, since we see one every f***ing Wednesday :rolleyes: :mad: :p

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
The OFFICIAL post on definitions

XIII said:

having official authority or sanction; "official permission"; "an official representative"
You shouldn't be able to define a word using a word! "Whats a personal computer." "Its a type of computer you can buy for your home." -- that may be a case where you can use a word to define a word: and that is official.

EDIT: argh. looks like i managed to kill another thread (if 4 hrs with no activity is counted as killed)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
im_to_hyper said:
XIII said:

You shouldn't be able to define a word using a word! "Whats a personal computer." "Its a type of computer you can buy for your home." -- that may be a case where you can use a word to define a word: and that is official.

EDIT: argh. looks like i managed to kill another thread (if 4 hrs with no activity is counted as killed)
He/it didn't define define official using the defined word, those were examples. Notice the semi-colon and then the quotes around the following phrases containing the word being defined. It is common practice for many dictionaries to define the word, separate, and then cite examples of the word in context to help the reader understand the definition.

Hope that made sense. I would define definition to attempt to help, but it has already been done ;) :p

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
From now on, we only have threads that start with "The Definitive..."

/duck and run
//duck and run.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
How about "The Official Thread"? It could cover all topics imaginable by the great mass of brains that is Mac Rumors, and have a horoscope that read "Wasteland in 10, 9, 8 7..." :D