Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I know many people are happy that Apple is "finally" making the old green "plus" button initiate full-screen apps. After all, how many threads have we seen over the years complaining about that little button not making an app go full-screen?

But will anyone else miss the old functionality? Personally, I won't mind so much as long as they keep the shortcut (Cmd + Ctrl + Z) around for the old zoom functionality, since I mostly use keyboard shortcuts for window management, anyway.

Who else liked and used the old/current zoom function?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I know many people are happy that Apple is "finally" making the old green "plus" button initiate full-screen apps. After all, how many threads have we seen over the years complaining about that little button not making an app go full-screen?

But will anyone else miss the old functionality? Personally, I won't mind so much as long as they keep the shortcut (Cmd + Ctrl + Z) around for the old zoom functionality, since I mostly use keyboard shortcuts for window management, anyway.

Who else liked and used the old/current zoom function?

I like it and use it all the time. Hopefully we'll also be able to option-click on the green button to get that functionality back?!

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
I like it and use it all the time. Hopefully we'll also be able to option-click on the green button to get that functionality back?!

I hope so too. While the inconsistencies between apps was frustrating, its current functionality is really useful sometimes. Hopefully some 10.7.x update will include it if removed in the original and there's enough demand.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

I hope this happens, I like the current functionality. I still don't see the point of full screen apps, unless you have a really small screen. I just want to use however much space the app requires, not the entire screen.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
I hope this happens, I like the current functionality. I still don't see the point of full screen apps, unless you have a really small screen. I just want to use however much space the app requires, not the entire screen.

I believe there are some applications, like iPhoto, where full screen is really great! but it always depends on the software.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
IMO they can remove those 3 tiny buttons altogether. I never ever use them. They are so small and insignificant. I always use short cuts or gestures or stuff like it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If apple actually used the green button as everyone expected and did in a consistent manner, then we'd probably not have the volume of threads over the years.

Now that it appears apple is finally getting with the program and using the green button to actually maximize a window, I think its great.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
If apple actually used the green button as everyone expected and did in a consistent manner, then we'd probably not have the volume of threads over the years.

Now that it appears apple is finally getting with the program and using the green button to actually maximize a window, I think its great.

I don't care that they change what the button does as long as they keep the functionality (Ctrl + Cmd + Z is good enough for me, along with Cmd + W).

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm confused, if the green button now initiates full screen apps, then what does the arrow button at the top right of some windows do?

Thanks

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I'm confused, if the green button now initiates full screen apps, then what does the arrow button at the top right of some windows do?

Thanks

My thread was started around the time of the first Lion preview. It looks like Apple's changed their mind about where to put the full screen button. ;)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The old green button is totally unpredictable and random. Each time you click it, something weird happens to the window. It either turns tiny and half of it ends up off-screen, or it becomes huge although there is no content inside that would require it to be huge. Then when you click it again, it doesn't always go back to the way it was before, but instead it chooses another random window size.

If you ask me, I wish apple got rid of that function, and only put that button there for Apps that go into a proper full screen mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.