the on-call keypad... SUCKS!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok I know we have all been in this scenario at some point in our life.

You need a phone number from a friend. So you call him to get the number. Now on most cell phones you can just save the number while on the call. But not on the iphone!!! You can enter the number in the keypad, with no way of saving, and then as soon as the call ends, BAM the number is gone forever.

Ok yes I realize you could just pull up notepad or something, but I think that seems a little ridiculous

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes it is annoying. you could make a contact from the number. or just have a temp contact for adding one use numbers.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I have definitely been in this situation before and it is really annoying but I usually do end up telling the person to hold on while I use notes or enter it into contacts. I'd rather take the extra time than forget and have to call again. :eek: Hopefully in the future they will fix this. :)

4. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Just make a contact..

Thats why apple gave us the "favorites" feature.. pick out the commonly used numbers, I have hundreds of clients/partners/family in my contacts, but about 20 or so in my favorites... not that big of a deal..

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What?

How does that help saving a number while on a call?

6. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

another astoundingly simple function that apple left out, along with cut and paste and mms and video, Common sense is an uncommon virtue, apple reminds me of the bookworm who has a thousand degrees yet gets scammed in a second by a cut rate shiester

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you can access contacts while on the phone just hit the home key.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Go to Recents / Select the arrow next to the number / Create New Contact.

:confused:

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Help saving a number:

During the call
    1) Go to speakerphone, click home button on Notes, put it in notes.
    2) Go to speakerphone, click home button, add new contact.
    3) Get pen, write down.

If you're ruling out 1 and 3, then 2 seems the best bet..

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Thread over and you fail.

11. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Rofl so true:rolleyes:

12. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

this works as long as the number you want is the same as the person you rang but what if you rang someone to find out a number of someone else? then you cant do this.

I do agree with others though, just use the home button to access contacts/notes app.

13. jason72780 macrumors regular

I had this happen to me. I was on the phone with my exwife and her number is blocked. She gave me her number and I punched it in the keypad. After the call was over I went to save it and it was gone. I had to wait for her to call back and have her *82 it first to save her number.

14. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Can you read? Why would I want the number of the person I called.... That doesn't even make sense...... Think before you post.

Oh and I no longer have my contacts app. After my previous jb and restore I noticed that I lost a couple of icons, contacts was one of them. Of course I didn't care because I have never used it. the phone app does everything i need. but during the on-call setting the phone app is useless....

So my only option would be notes

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I was waiting for you to post something like this. LOL... :D

Hopefully new software will fix this.

16. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I've gone from a crappy moto phone with no camera and ran on java and I could never find a way to enter a phone number and "save it" for future use. On the iPhone its pretty easy

1. Call your friend and set it up for speaker phone.
    2. Before he gives you the number click Add Call, Click the keypad symbol in the lower right hand corner and type in the number he gives you and click call.
    3. QUICKLY "end the call" for the number you just typed in and go about talking to your friend.

Hang up with your friend and now when you go to your recent call list the number he gave you should be #1 on the list. From there create a contact and you have the number for future reference. The key is to "call" the number he gave you but quickly "end the call" as to capture the number on the phone but not actually "call" the number.

Sounds like a lot of steps to accomplish this but from then on you can create a contact for that number and keep it on your phone.

The other option is as people have said put the call on speaker phone, open up Notes and enter the number for future reference. As I've found out without copy & paste it forces you to remember the number in your head, go back and forth memorizing the blocks of numbers while transferring from notes to the phone portion. Or write it down on a piece of paper to which would of just been easier to do in the first place.

TESTING:

The easiest way to test this feature is this:

1. Call your OWN phone number this usually leads you to voicemail.
    2. While you're on call #1 click the ADD CALL button, click the KEYPAD button lower right hand corner.
    3. Enter a FAKE number.. 555-5555 and click CALL.
    4. IMMEDIATELY click END CALL.
    5. End call #1 (aka voicemail)

Now you should have 555-5555 as #1 entry on your recent call list to which you can turn into a contact, text message etc..

17. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Quit bein an ass and follow along..

Re JB your phone or do an official restore through itunes then reJB with pwnage/quickpwn. Not having the contacts list icon ok cool I can understand that but you still have access under your phone icon to your contacts list so even if you follow my method of capturing the number and creating a contact you still have that list in your phone.

Bottom line is you can capture the phone number during a call without leaving the phone app, add it to your phone and have it as a searchable number on your phone.

I wouldn't be complaining also about some short sightedness on Apples part in designing the phone or the software if it sounds like due to JB you have critical icons removed and are unable to do what you want it to when capturing phone numbers. Just re JB (dont be lazy) and get your phone working the way its suppose to because I can guarrenty you there is and easier way then call someone, hit home, tap notes, enter the number, hang up and all that.

18. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Actually you can using some 3way calling trickery on the phone, when you "add a call" after being connected to the person you're on the phone with you can manually dial the number you want, hit call and IMMEDIATELY hit "end call". You can then go back to your conversation with the person that gave you the number and it will show up as #1 on your recent call list, turn it into a contact and you have the number the person gave you as a search able number/contact on your phone.

There is a way to do it but Apple for some retarded reason makes it like 10x harder then it needs to be.

19. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I appreciate the help macnoobie, but please stick to the rules and single post

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just turn on speakerphone and go to the 'Contacts' app while you're on the phone call and enter the number.

But, oh, wait...

:rolleyes: Well if you never use it, that's fine, but don't come complaining to us because you erased something and now want to use it.

Either put it back or learn to live without it. Either way is fine with me, but you can't take something off the phone and then complain that the phone doesn't have it!

21. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I was responding to several different people in this thread but don't get your panties in a bunch.

22. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, I don't get why this is so hard to understand...

The phone was made with a PERFECTLY simple way to do this... If you remove it, because you don't use it and then complain that you need to use it and it's not there, then I don't even know what to make of your logic. You claim that the Keypad Sucks? Really you're just the one who deleted something you wanted to use. Keypad doesn't suck. In this case, the user sucks.

Despite this, adding a call and then hanging up is such an easy way. That's what I did a lot of the time with my old phones as well. I didn't want to have to bother typing the name right away and just wanted the number saved fast. Then you can go in and save it as a contact later.

Problem solved. ThreadKiller Out.

23. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Somebody CLOSE THIS THREAD. This is just stupidity and the refusal to explore.

Do you see the recents tab? That's where it displays you calls you received, missed or CALLED. You can save it by simply tapping on that arrow on the right side and save as a contact.

CASE CLOSED!

24. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

No because the OP is talking about saving a number that previously didn't exist on the phone and he doesn't already know so he mentioned the keypad sucks because you cant simply have the phone out, talking to someone, be able to just type in the number and have it keep it on the screen so that after the call he can save it for future reference.

WE ARE NOT talking about simply calling up someone, talking, hanging up and having the number in the recent call list to save. You encounter a situation where you call someone up a family member a friend and they say hey let me give you a number and usually you scramble for a pen or some way of to save the number? The OP was referring to the fact that you cant do it when you can but its kind of ass backwards.

25. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Exactly the add a call and hang up to capture just the number quickly is the best way I've seen to catch the number. Relatively easy to do may be quite a number of steps to go through but in the end it does the job you can text or add a contact and be done with.. its on your phone for later you can look it up etc.