Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you feel apple should expand the width of the new iPhone?

• No, Apple has selected the perfect width. Ay larger, and it would be difficult to use with one hand.

Votes: 58 44.6%
  • Yes, people use larger phones comfortably every day. Apple should make the phone screen wider.

Votes: 72 55.4%

• Total voters

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Do you feel that apple is overdoing the one-handed issue? They say the iPhone 5 was only made larger length-wise so it still is workable in one hand. Yet, people use larger phones with one hand all the time.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
These polls are stupid. They mean nothing. Does anyone really think that Apples going to come on this forum and go. Oh, look. 30 people on here want a larger screen. Let's do it.

95% of you that bitch about the screen size. Won't leave. You want iOS.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know. But I do enjoy the size of the 4S I have. I do wonder how long it will take me to get used to the 5S - if there is an adjustment period at all.

I played with the Galaxy S4 in the AT&T store and despite it's larger size, I found it to work well enough in one hand.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I would like two sizes. I can mostly using my Note One with one hand yet it can be a little awkward yet I wanted something that was a cross between a tablet and a phone so I don't need both.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I don't expect apple to do anything because of the poll. It's just for fun, to see what this community thinks. Their designs already have been finalized months ago.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
For me the current size or a 4.3 inch display in the very same form factor would keep me happy. Going wider would be a disappointment. I believe what Tim Cook said last year that Apple wanted a phone that was comfortable with one hand and if Apple can do that with a 4.3 inch or even a 4.5 than that would be good for many and stop this wishful ranting that is posted on a daily basis and for years now. ;)

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
SO many loyal iPhones users were freaking out with even the rumor the iPhone 5 was going to be longer! Now they make comments about their "tiny 4S" would never do today.

I think choice is good and Apple WILL offer a choice in screen sizes to keep it customer base. All the other phone makers offer choice . . hard for Apple not to do so.

The 6 just could be where choice begins for iPhone users.:rolleyes:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I miss the ergonomics of my 4.

But like the speed too much of my 5.

I think with iO7 Apple is onto fixing the UI for larger phones. With iOS7 the push for universal swipe from the side to go back improves things immensely.
And will only be better as more apps adopt this gesture.

Latest rumor of control by motion sensing. Don't know how that will be implemented on the 5S, but it could improve the situation further.

Continued refinement, and by iOS8/iPhone8. A large display phone could be very useable with one hand.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
Do you feel that apple is overdoing the one-handed issue? They say the iPhone 5 was only made larger length-wise so it still is workable in one hand. Yet, people use larger phones with one hand all the time.

No, I don't feel they're overdoing it, seeing as majority of high end phones are massive, and the iPhone 5 is currently the only high end phone that can be used one handed comfortably by people with average sized hands. I think its great they're valuing ergonomics.

I feel like they could keep the same form factor though, while increasing the display size. Zero bezel, like that one mockup floating around of the iPhone 6.

sim0n

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
I love the size of the current iphone 5 and wouldn't want it any bigger that's what tablets are for

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
i use my 4s just as much as one. i would be happy with a 5s with edge to edge screen top to bottom, side to side. i guess that would be a nice wish.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
larger phone

You people just don't get it. If the iPhone were just a phone then a 3 inch screen would be perfect. However, you have thousands and thousands of apps that would benefit from a larger screen so they can be utilized better. Any spreadsheets, presentations, documents, movie editing, picture editing, apps etc. can work better with a larger screen. I think a 5 - 5.5 inch screen which uses most of the surface of the phone as possible, is not out of the questions to be useable by most people.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Same form factor, than a 4 or 4.3 inch display would be just fine. If Apple could manage a 4.5 inch display in the very same form factor, great for those that like that screen size. 5 inch screen. That's just plan Samsung silliness and Apple is not that dumb to play the wider game. Apple is a maturer company....Thank goodness ;)

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
You people just don't get it. If the iPhone were just a phone then a 3 inch screen would be perfect. However, you have thousands and thousands of apps that would benefit from a larger screen so they can be utilized better. Any spreadsheets, presentations, documents, movie editing, picture editing, apps etc. can work better with a larger screen. I think a 5 - 5.5 inch screen which uses most of the surface of the phone as possible, is not out of the questions to be useable by most people.

5-5.5" is a bit too much, that size is Note territory already. IMO about 4.5-4.7" is perfect especially of they can make it edge to edge. Same screen size as the S3, but easier to hold.

Motherload0211

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
We got...

4 inch display from some..

4.3 inch display from some..

4.5 inch display from some again..

5 inch display from a few

5.5 inch display from another.

This will not end, no matter what Apple gives us today, next year or the next. As soon as Apple goes with a 4.3 display like I think they might next year, we will have rants from those that want it bigger. Than when Apple produces a 4.5 inch screen in the same form factor, whiners will complain its not a 4.7 or a 5 inch screen and Apple is playing catch up. It will not end.

Hope Apple stays the course, and provides a nice solid looking iphone for the masses, not for the few fanatics. :D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

This may come as a shock, but not everyone uses their iPhone the same way you do, and in fact, just saying "most people" doesn't even make it so

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
I'd like it a little wider just because I use the keyboard in portrait all the time. This would be less of an issue if the landscape keyboard worked everywhere but it doesn't. I'm not just talking about apple store apps, there are locations in iOS/stock apps that have this issue as well.

arrypol

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
I believe what Tim Cook said last year that Apple wanted a phone that was comfortable with one hand and if Apple can do that with a 4.3 inch or even a 4.5 than that would be good for many and stop this wishful ranting that is posted on a daily basis and for years now.
NLg8fL
;)
I do agree with you.

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I think they should release a 4.5" screen along side the 4". For me the current size is perfect because my pockets are usually small. It would be nice if the bezel was smaller.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U know there is this very cute 5'2" petite at work and recently she pulls out this GIANT phone. OMG. All of a sudden she doesn't look that good. ;)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For me, one-handed use has never been an issue, because I never used the iPhone one-handed anyway. I've always used two hands, starting with the first gen iPod touch (didn't have a phone back then).

To me, the important factor is it needs to fit in my pocket. And I'm a bit conflicted here, because for most of what I do, the longer form factor is awkward, so if Apple can make a wider phone that still fit in my pocket, I'll take it. But I'm not sure if that's possible. If not, I think Apple should stick to the current size, because I find that I don't like going back to the 4/4S after having used the 5. I find I miss the extra screen size despite the awkward aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.