The one thing that changed your life forever...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MusicEnthusiast, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Well for me, going to Japan (furthest away I had ever been away from home) truly opened my eyes to the world, and it was probably one of the most unexpected things that happened to me. I only started Japanese in high school to see what it was like, but now I'm still studying it in college.

So you guys, what one thing (can be expected or unexpected) changed your life forever?

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Moving to the UK to boost my career. Then moving back to France for my GF. Then dropping her. Then creating my own company.

3. bgd macrumors regular

Learned to ride a motorcycle. Shame I waited so long.

4. AndyinAtl macrumors member

By far the biggest thing was reading "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis in 2003.

5. 'Bmac macrumors regular

The absolute one thing that changed my life forever was the death of my Mother in 2010. From the day she died I stopped speaking to her entire side of the family. As well as the entire side of my Father's family. Basically I no longer speak with ANY "blood realitive". They are ALL DEAD to me!

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Just interested... How did that effect you?

As for me, I may be too young to really have a good response. And the things I can think of I don't really feel like mentioning here. Atleast not now

7. Shrink, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Reading Jean-Paul Sartre during middle adolescence. I suddenly found someone who was putting into words vague ideas and feelings that I was unable to articulate - which had led to feelings of deep depression.

This led me to immerse myself in extensive reading of existential philosophy and literature which was life changing for me.

8. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Buying my first gun in 2006. I've learned to love life, freedom, and know the meaning of responsibility.

9. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

The birth of my first child

the second thing was the birth of my second child

then third was birth of my third child

done with changes..

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It's a tossup between three things, apologies for the flagrant ignoring of the title.

-My mother dying when I was 10.
    -Realising at 18 that I could be myself in body and mind, and that this was both practical and good for me.
    -Finishing that journey to finally feel completely comfortable with myself

The first emotionally killed me in ways I'm still only now realising, it forced me to grow up a whole lot faster than other kid. I still find it incredibly difficult to engage with anyone grieving, saying "I'm sorry for your loss" feels so woefully inadequate, a mere platitude. It reminds me how powerless you are in that situation, to know that no matter what you do that person is never coming back.

The second was a compete awakening, a transformation from just bumbling through life with no real desires goals or aspirations to suddenly feeling like I could enjoy life, that it was worth trying. It marked the beginning of nearly 5 turbulent years. A lot of insane crap happened over that period but most importantly the one thing that was a constant was my girlfriend Lisa.

The surgery I had last year, it's more than just surgery, it was a colossal release. It's changed me in so many subtle ways I can't even begin to describe them. It really eats you up to not feel comfortable in your own skin.

I'm at the point now where I feel like I can do whatever the hell I like, and for now that's enjoy every moment of my life with Lisa and doing my best at university, I've a fair few ideas of things I'd like to do once I graduate too!

It's just nice to have other goals really.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

13. Miggs macrumors newbie

Lol I remember getting my first motorbike lol, life changing, but the one thing that really made me

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

While this may sound a bit hilarious, I have to say MacRumors. Without MR, I most likely wouldn't have gotten the interest toward computers and technology. Without the interest, I wouldn't have my current job as an editor.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Coming out. Nothing even comes close to having a bigger impact.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Not trusting loved ones with a very big problem that turned out to be mostly in my head, then lying to myself about how I was dealing with it. I made my nightmare into a reality.

17. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

When I was 7, we moved from the UK to East Africa and I went to school there for three years.

No TV (none in the whole country), and I didn't know anyone there (at least not at first) so I had nothing to do. I hit the library and read book after book - many hundreds over the time I was there. Novels, classics, science, history, everything (and not kids books). I actually exhausted the school library.

It got me into the habit of reading, gave me a massive boost ahead of my peers when I returned back home and pretty much set me up for life.

18. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'd say my biology course. It made me take a very different point of view on life in general and on my own. It started an early (I was 18) quarter-life crisis. But I went trough it and I am stronger than I was.

Who knew talking about telomeres would have such an impact?

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was 15 and finished school. Didn't know what to with my life, what job to get, whether or not I should go to college. My other friends were two weeks into their college courses. Then I decided to meet a tutor and got enrolled in one day. Next day I met the girl of my dreams.

Now I've got a career and I'm still with her, 9 years later. I do wonder what would have happened if I never enrolled and just farted about doing nothing for god knows how long.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'll second that.

Nothing I have done since comes close.

1981… 17yo.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Nothing has had a more profound effect on me than becoming a parent.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Agreed. Proper life changing stuff and no mistake.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This. Sad but true. Love me some internetz

24. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE