The only argument left for buying a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gametime10, Oct 30, 2016.

1. gametime10 macrumors regular

It runs OSX.

That's it.

Everything else, innovation (ex: Razer Core, Surface Studio), power (Kaby Lake, nVidia Pascal graphics), design & build quality (XPS, Razer, even Xiaomi!), flexibility (2-in-1's, touchscreens, MS Surface Book), price, etc., can be matched or surpassed in the PC world. And considering you are saving hundreds for similar or more powerful specs, it makes switching to Windows 10 a compelling case.

2. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

Totally agree, it's simply based on what value you assign OS X. Imo it's not worth the £500+ difference between a maxed out Surface book and a mid-level 15 inch rMBP for me. Windows annoys the **** out of me but the value for money is ridiculously higher on windows machines

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Here's a good argument: I like it.

If it makes you happy in life, then its already worth it.

It's like asking what argument you have for staying with your spouse? There's always going to be someone who cooks better, cleans better, makes more money, and even performs their spousal duties better. But you like yours and yours makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. So stick with them. ;-)

4. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

Well it's not as easy to get a new partner than walk to an Apple store.

5. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

To be honest, OSX has been pretty stale the last few cycles too...

6. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

People can be "married" to their technology, that's true... but there is such a thing as an unhealthy, one-sided relationship =)

7. td2243 macrumors 6502

I still love Logic X Pro. I'm just going to buy the current MBA used. No way I can drop $2500 on the new Pro.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Haha that depends how attractive you are.

Stale? I initially read your statement as Stable. I'm glad not to be dealing with weird pop up dialogs, complex updates, anti-virus software, and other issues that come up on Windows machines (I absolutely HATE using my Lenovo which I sometimes used for business and will be getting rid of it).

Very true... but as long as my technology does what I want and looks good while doing it, then it's fulfilling its end of the bargain.

9. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

I dual-OS for work. Literally none of that has ever happened to me on Windows 10. Anti-virus is built in.

10. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

I don't like a lot of things about Win10 but anti-virus has never been an issue, unless you buy a £300 shitbook which comes with a Norton trial.

11. Deanster macrumors regular

Couldn't disagree more. Each of those laptops you name has some individual attractive features, which may well be better than a MacBook.

But you can't buy one or two features from the Windows laptops. You have to buy just ONE and live with it for as long as you own the laptop.

This is where Apple wins out - not on a feature by feature comparison, but in having a laptop that's very good across MANY categories, and that will get better as you own it, as TB3 and USB-C really become widespread.

Five years from now, the MacBook Pro is still going to be a very good computer, and it'll have something like 40-50% of its original purchase value.

Five years from now, an XPS or Razer is going to be a just-OK machine at best, and it'll have effectively zero residual value if you put it up on craigslist or eBay. Doubt me? Go see what the very best 2011 Dell laptop is going for on eBay right now.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

Lol. Someone posts this exact same rant every time Apple updates a model. (Only the parenthetical change).

13. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

How do you know TB3 will become widespread? In addition to knowing only 1/2 people who even know what TB is, very few people take advantage of running 4k/5k displays or daisy chaining multiple external ssds etc. I don't know a single person who uses an external monitor with their laptop, let alone one which is 4k/5k and thunderbolt ready.

And let's be honest, 99% of consumers don't consider resale value when buying a laptop. It's not a car.

I'm an apple fan and love their laptops, but the price hike is ridiculous considering that the base and mid tier MBPs have been quite competitively priced for the last 3-4 years.

14. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Yes.

These days, Apple is all about making the most money. Innovation went out the door.

Macs have always been expensive, but the hardware were ahead of their time. (ie. first ultrabook, first laptop with Retina display)

15. Altis macrumors 68020

Both MacOS and Windows 10 have their ups and downs.

Windows adopted a really annoying arm-twist update scheme (that they probably took from Apple) that drives me mental, and the scaling can flakey. Mouse acceleration is much better for those who use a mouse.

MacOS doesn't have nearly as good window management IMO (snapping, minimizing, etc), though at least they gave Finder some much needed love (folders at the top). Trackpad is much better for those who use a trackpad.

At the end of the day, the OS isn't supposed to be the star of the show. It's just a platform upon which to use applications to do things. I've often heard that the best OS are the ones that you don't notice because they don't interfere with what you're trying to do.

Of course, this makes me prone to being flamed by all sides of the OS battlefronts.:D

16. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Sure, if all you care about are specs in a vacuum.

The razor stealth core has kaby lake, but is clocked lower and has worse integrated graphics. Having a touchscreen boils down to whether you think you will need one or not. Paying a few hundred dollars less for a Windows laptop isn't exactly a deal breaker. The core and surface studio are niche products with small user bases.

I suppose if you have some specialized workflow that can be met by a certain Windows PC, then go for it by all means. I don't need any of them, so the MacBook Pro remains a solid laptop option for many people.

17. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

Residual value? If you wisely invest the money you saved from NOT buying a MacBook, you're definitely going to come out on top in 5-6 years.

18. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I don't like Windows. At all. Don't care how well 10 runs. I don't like Windows.
    I love Mac. Love. Never had a hardware issue. Very few software issues.

Then again I don't go out and look for problems and issues with my hardware and software like some on this forum do.

19. Macalway macrumors 68020

Let's face it. These are the Mercedes and Porches of the computer world, and those cars can get rather pricey. All the people who buy the iPhones and iPads are going to have a tough time with this. The people who have been buying the expensive laptops over the years, less so.

20. eroslws macrumors 6502

Not necessarily TB3, but definitely USB-C. There is industry consensus; it's not proprietary and we'll probably see complete conversion within a few years.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2016 ---
    This is exactly what I said in another thread. The market share for Macs is the same for luxury cars, because they are both luxury brands. A Prius and a Mercedes are going to get you to work at the same speed; it's just a matter of preference.

21. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

There is no evidence to suggest that all consumer devices will be using usb-c in the next 3-4 years, which is how long most people will own their next laptop.

I would have agreed with the point about luxury 2-3 years ago but most windows laptops (especially the surface book) have upped the quality of their materials and build.

22. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the luxury argument is a more honest argument for the MacBook. To try to make the case (as a previous poster did) that they are more economical because of residual value is silly. However, the case for MacBooks as luxury items is increasingly a subjective matter and other laptops are increasingly just as, if not more, well-designed, innovative, premium, etc...

23. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

To be fair, no laptop comes close to Macs when it comes to aesthetics. Not even HP Spectre 13t (those are sexy too, but nowhere near Macs).

My ideal combo is a MacBook Pro for day-to-day usage and a desktop PC for heavy raw power at home. Easy to upgrade components too.

24. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

The razer blade is pretty good looking, but it has so many issues it's comical

25. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

It's not silly at all. Resale value has a large impact on TCO.