The (Only?) Happy Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sassenach74, Jun 10, 2008.

1. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Because it seems like practically every thread now is full of useless fighting and anger and negativity since the iPhone 3G release, I figured it would be nice to actually have a positive thread.

I invite anybody with *only* (or as close to:p) good comments about the announcement to post here.

What I'm interested in is hearing what part of WWDC's iPhone 3G announcement you most liked...3G? GPS? MobileMe? Apps shown? App store? All of the above?

I'd also like to hear how this annnouncement and future (apps etc) annnouncements will change the way you use your mobile/cell.

For me personally, I'm entirely happy with all that was announced and all that is to come (from what I've seen/read).

I held of on the first iPhone (was tied to a contract already) and I am really excited about getting my hands on one come July 11th (if it isn't delayed further).

I'm really keen on getting a MobileMe subscription as it looks like just the thing I was hoping for.

GPS on the phone for me, will replace my TomTom Go 510 I currently have.

I've been hoping that the new iPhone will help me get rid of all the different gadgets I have and roll them into one...it seems this is going to be entirely possible.
    I have an iPod touch, which I will sell to a friend for £150/$300, I have the TomTom, again selling to a friend for £100/$200, and I currently use a tytn winmo phone, which is absolutely horrendous and will probably launch it at a wall purely for the satisfaction of knowing that I wont put anybody else through the misery of using it.

I really don't want this to turn into an ATT bashing thread, or Steve Jobs owes me thread, as I'm sure there are far too many of those already, and of which you are more than welcome to visit.

Anyway, look forward to your comments,

Neil.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The only thing good I have to say regarding the keynote is the Apps and the App store look great and I can wait to get 2.0

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm glad mobileme family pack got a price reduction and I'm glad the 3g iphone has gps. I honestly wasn't expecting gps.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe there should be a mini photo competition - the best way someone puts their old phone out of it's misery - might beat a thread with just pictures of phones...

Part most liked: It's coming. That's good. July 11th is 30 odd days away. Which isn't long. GPS will be bigger than expected. Mobileme could be huge - push mail, contacts and calendar, for PC.

How it'll affect the way I work - I'll actually have a half decent calendar. No pieces of paper, to sync later, or forget - it's the PDA of the future, or somesuch.

I'm a big fan of GPS. I think Android will be the running mate with Apple, and it'll be very interesting to see how Nokia responds (will it go down the Tubes? ho ho)

It'll let me not need to carry a GPS, diary, ipod, phone, notepad, book, flash cards with me. I just need one thing (Time Machine hopefully will sync the important info just in case anything goes tits up).

We get to have some cracking ads by Apple once it's out/in the build up.

One more thing? The specs of the 3G iPhone are subject to change, and we haven't seen the firmware that'll be on it/released July 11. Can't wait. No wait, I can wait...

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

overall i was very pleased with the keynote. i like the features mobileme has to offer, though i really don't care for the name, i liked .Mac. I really love the look and features of the 3G iPhone and the app store is going to be awesome. definately a great way to customize the iPhone. overall i am very happy. they have left room for improvement to the 3G phone, ie more memory, additional colors (maybe), front camera. these will be additional features which they can add every 6 months. it will keep us coming back for more. :D

6. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I'm excited about the Apps Store, iPhone 3G in general and GPS

Although the iPhone still doesn't have iChat, video recording or voice memos, the positives still outweigh the negatives

$300 for a 16GB iPhone that is better than the 1st is a great deal for me. If only July 11th was a couple weeks earlier..

7. sorrowharvester macrumors newbie

I'm actually very happy. I was going to buy 2 16gb iPhones on Monday for regular price and then found out they'd be cheaper soon!

I'll also STILL be paying less than I pay a month for my BlackBerry (with NO texting) service through Sprint.

Only thing I'm disappointed in is that I have to wait a month :D

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Mobile Me is not getting the positive attention it deserves.

The 3G iPhone looks perfect. I prefer the lower product price and higher data plan. I will probably upgrade my iPhone every year.

I am afraid the psychotic threads on this board are going to make me stop checking out MacRumors. I am not talking about normal disappointment threads by people who are just disappointed about one this or another, it is this bizarre display of reactions like boycotting etc. I don't get it. who are these people.

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Eh, people called for boycotts and had online petitions when the Air was released (and numerous other products). You'd think they'd learn but whatever.

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm very pleased and will be buying my first iphone as soon as my contract is up (november :mad: )
    The things that everyone is bitching about, are things i don't really care about.
    MMS - honestly, never used it. (I've had an mms capable phone for about 5 years+ now I think)
    Front facing camera for video calling - again, honestly, never used it, and myself and my wife have had a video calling capable phone in a 3G area for about 3 years.
    User replacable battery. - I've never ever had a spare, or had the need for a spare battery in almost 10 years of owning a mobile phone.
    Plastic back - looks nice. Improved reception is always good.
    activate through iTunes gone - who cares? honestly, was that bit that important? Is it even gone? I'm seeing conflicting reports.

I've had a touch since release, it's (jailbroken) and become the ultimate in PDA's. The iphone with internet access anywhere and the app store and the new price mean I can't refuse, it's going to be amazing.

11. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

sorry, but this is very off topic

oh wow, dude, as of right now, this minute, you have 666 post!!
    freaky!:D
    lol not that i'm supersticious or anything. i just thought it interesting that i chose to click on a a random profile - yours - and you had that number of posts

12. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I'm almost exactly the same as you, I have had a phone with front cam and mms, and I think I've only ever sent 1 mms in the whole time Ive had the ability to.....approx 4yrs, and front cam, ive NEVER used it, and nobody I know have ever used it, not saying people wouldnt, just that, once the novelty of it wears off.....I've had my touch for about 4 months, and love it to death, will be sad to see it go, but the whole time I've had it, just wished it had a phone + internet connection on the move....ie an iPhone.

Not to start a war in my own thread titled 'Happy Thread', but I've been racking my brain trying to think where copy and paste would be essential in an iPhone, and I havent come up with much, not saying there isnt uses, just cant think of any, other than that business with the mms workaround (ironically) and maybe wording etc in emails, any suggestions?

13. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

OOO, you're right, that is freaky :eek:

14. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Here is an example as to why I'd love copy and paste:

I get an email with an address for going to lunch with someone. I want to know what bus to take to get to that place so I go to trimet.org. Okay, what was the address (flip back and forth between email and trimet website until address is typed in). If I could just copy and paste it would make it soooo much easier.

15. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Love that idea!! Now you have me thinking of more dramatic ways to kill my old phone!!
    Whichever way I decide, I'm definitely taking pics of it (using my iPhone of course). :D

16. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I do agree with you totally, as email text was one of the (2) things I could come up with, I'm really not against anybody wishing for it at all, as of course, I would love this feature too, just not sure it's worthy of acting like the world might end because of it.

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Oh yeah, it isn't the end of the world. But it would be nice.

18. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

19. S Brake macrumors regular

After some soul searching I can now say that I'm happy with this whole ordeal. I have been wanting to get a portable GPS for a while now and now I can get that in the iPhone 3G. With the iPhone I can now sell my iPod and my blackberry, which effectively decreases the price of both phones. So after taking those point into consideration and also the fact that I'll be added on to a family plan making my monthly bill around $45, so I finally feel good with the 3G phone.

20. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

It kind of makes you wonder. Is there a very very large facility that holds idiots in captivity...forcing them to post idiotic comments?

Apple hasn't created something that they wanted and now no one should buy that product. Although this person obviously really really wants one or they wouldn't post here in the first place.

Sorry. Anyways. My favorite part is the appstore but MobileMe is going to be great.

21. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

MobileMe, in my opinion, was the best part of the keynote as I will now be renewing my old .mac account. The iphone 3G was pretty much what I was expecting, and I think the $10 extra a month for the faster data is comparable to other 3G data plans, which should have been expected as well. July 11th can't come fast enough, oh and that is my birthday as well. Steve, you couldn't have planned it better.

22. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Certainly seems like Apple are onto a winner with MobileMe, as I haven't seen one person have a bad thing to say about it. I was close to signing up with izzymail as a solution to get my hotmail pushed to my touch and soon to be iPhone, now I don't have to bother with all that nonsense, and get all those other goodies that come with MobileMe to boot!!

23. sassenach74 thread starter macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Ok I guess there really isn't that many happy people then :p

24. HarryMac macrumors newbie

I for one am ecstatic about the release, especially seeing as iphone in the UK has just gotten £260 cheaper over the length of the contract. Bt Openzone and the Cloud, things are certainly looking good for us Brits!

25. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Why not keep it as a backup? (Assuming that will work) It's such a nice phone and we certainly all paid a good amount for it. :) If and when I get the 3G model, I plan on keeping my old one as a backup. I'll use it when I go skiing or other places where there is a danger of breaking it.

Back on to the OP topic...

I think MobileMe looks awesome. The webapps look well done and I might actually start using it. I've had .Mac and never done much with it. Push functionality is key and will help with battery life on the phone and in general make it a better experience.

The games look really slick. I look forward to seeing what developers can do with this thing. I was a little worried about the processor speed based on occasional slow rendering of webpages, but it looks like it's fine.

Here is some smilies to make sure it's a happy post - :D:):cool::D