The only thing missing from the new Ipad is the thing we all expected..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Mar 24, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Siri

Honestly can't say how much this new Ipad misses it. Voice dictation is great but my only theory is they had to be typical Apple and keep it to that and a lesser mega pixel to the Iphone.

I honestly hope Apple bring Siri to the Ipad with IOS6. I mean it's hopeless on the Iphone no need for it but with the Ipad you could ask it to google, play a movie on a screen you might actually want to see it on, ask it to type an article or note ideal for students?

Siri on the Ipad would be a game changer especially a finished version which is as accurate as the dictation.

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's true, Siri -and retina display- were the only 2 things I was absolutely sure of.

I also hope Siri will come with ios 6, but I wouldn't count it as a given. They have managed to sort of slip it under the radar, so I wouldn't be suprised if they keep it for the 4th gen unless some sort of huge demand comes up for it all around the world.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well all the talk was the Iphone never had a fast enough processor to cope with with Siri well why has the new Ipad not got it when it's actually more powerful than the A5 Iphone? :eek:

This simple feature would have created much more of a buzz around the new Ipad.

4. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

It's pretty clear this won't happen. It seems that Apple views the iPhone as a personal assistant to help with directions, look up information, and perform tasks quickly. This is to help with the small screen real estate, compared to the iPad, to perform such tasks. This and to give consumers a reason to have BOTH an iPhone and an iPad. Why else would they not have included it? There is no technical limitation stopping them. It was purely their decision to exclude it.

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ipad 1 and Iphone 4 never had Siri to compare though.

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Yeah but it's new feature/technology. To be honest I had no need for an iPad until the new one because I had an iPhone. There was no big differences between them. Now they are growing apart with their own features and benefits.

7. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I dont think the processor had much to do with anything, seeing as how a jailbroken device could run Siri as far down as I believe the iPhone 3GS, it's a complicated process, but it proves that the processor doesn't have much to do with it.

I have heard it is because siri's servers were getting swamped as iPhone 4s sales and users increased, and if Siri had been released at the time of the ipad3 it would have been nothing but a disappointment, and people really need just one true fault with any apple product to recieve a bad name.

I don't know why they don't just have Siri run natively on the device, maybe because it would impact the memory too much? It's already down from what 1.2gigs of the advertised storage capacity with ios alone.

And because they escaped without adding Siri at first, they may just keep it under wraps because it could be what causes the iPad 4th gen to become a big seller.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Siri on the ipad?...unnecessary and i hope not. the dictation is sufficient and dragon naturally speaking is another option.

there are a lot more important things that i'd rather see apple do with iOS6.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I don't know why, but I been using the dictation a lot. Siri would be welcomed.

10. BornRight macrumors newbie

The reason is simple. Siri needs an internet connection to work. That's not a problem on the iPhone because it's always sold with a data plan. With the iPad, you have WiFi only versions that may not be connected to the internet all the time and Siri won't work when they're offline. So consumers won't get the uniform experience with Siri on the iPad that Apple wants them to get.

11. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Another thing to remember is that Siri is still in beta according to Apple. While we might see it expanding beyond the iPhone to the iPad and even OS X once it goes past beta, the need for an internet/data connection will still hobble it on these other devices.

12. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Not at all I have it in my 4S and never use it. I love the voice to text though so home run for me!!!

13. arterio macrumors member

The services required for dictation on the new iPad are the same as required on Siri. It still passes the information to Apple servers, processes it, and sends it back to your device. So in my opinion there is no reason why Siri could not have been on the new iPad. I really do hope that they release it in iOS 6. When they released the jailbreak for the new iPad iOS 5.1 I'm going to try Spire. I bet you Siri will work right out-of-the-box with no proxy servers required.

Try this, turn your cellular and Wi-Fi connections off on your iPhone 4S and try and pull Siri up and see what it says. It will tell you that Siri is not available right now because there is no data connection. They can do the exact same thing with the iPad and I think it would be acceptable to most.

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Though I would like Siri, this dictation really is quite cool and helpful, they should have flaunted it a bit more than they did, but maybe they didn't because they didn't want people to realize that it was the iPad replacement for Siri.

15. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Siri is not a mandatory thing for a tablet device. It is not your primary source of communication. Not all tablets have cellular capabilities. And you would look like a massive tool sitting on a train and talking to a slab of metal.

End of thread.

----------

And for the record, voice dictation sucks on the new iPad, for those who arent American anyway.

16. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

That's actually quite an interesting and plausible bet, I mean similar things have happened before, like being able to enable multi-tasking gestures before they were officially released in iOS by editing a few lines of text via a jailbreak.

----------

I agree you would look like a tool lol, which is why I got the wifi only model, I rarely take my iPad out of the house.

17. arterio macrumors member

The reason I think this will work is because for dictation to work through Apple servers right now it must already have a valid token with Apple. Therefore there should be no need to use a proxy server and someone else's token to be able to use Siri on the iPad. You would only need the Siri software loaded onto the device.

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

My guess is they tested this extensively, and the consensus was that it wasn't ready for that platform.

note: It probably isn't completley ready for any platform. ;)

19. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

For lazy iPad typist like myself, Siri would be very welcome addition. I hope Apple reconsiders.

20. gatearray macrumors 65816

If you're a lazy typist, the Voice Dictation on the new iPad should help immensely. :)

Also, the reason it's not on the iPhone 4 or the new iPad is server demand. If Apple dumps an additional 15 million users per month on the system it will spell trouble for everybody. Patience, grasshoppers. :)

21. riveting macrumors 6502

It's a business decision. Because the retina display is enough to get all buyers in, there is no need to put Siri in to attract users. It can be put as an improvement in later generations.

22. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

This is what I was thinking, but it really sucks cause its going to be a year before we see it in another device if it's not added in iOS 6

23. brentsg macrumors 68040

I wasn't expecting it simply because I think they are still struggling with server load from the 4S launch. Once they have the infrastructure to guarantee speedy responses then I think we'll see it expand.

24. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

Yeah, Siri will come to the next iPad, some people have mentioned server demand, and I agree that's one reason. Also it's just one more feature they can add down the road, maybe in conjunction with a new Apple TV.

At this point it also gives you another reason to own an iPhone if you just have the iPad. That's actually pretty smart marketing since the iPad sometimes the first Apple product people buy.

25. Hosei macrumors member

I really don't have a use for Siri, i own an iPhone 4S, i don't remember the last time i seriously used Siri. Maybe i would use it for fun, but that is it.