The only thing owning an iPhone has taught me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Apr 28, 2012.

1. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

2. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Nearly two years with this design, not one crack.

3. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Right with ya Buckeye. We've got three at home. 2-iPhone 4 models as well a single 4s between my wife n I. My seven year old son now owns my 'old' iPhone 4--as a glorified itouch. No scratches, dings or broken glass!

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Touch wood mines ok apart from a very slight scratch on the bottom left hand corner where i dropped it.

Now sits inside a bumper for grip more than anything else.

5. twigman08 macrumors 6502

Same with my iPhone 4. It's actually been dropped twice on tile floor without cracking. One time it landed on its back, nothing wrong. Another it landed on its screen. Nothing happened.

Every phone breaks. I can go get the latest and greatest Samsung, HTC, or some other phone and drop it and it could also crack.

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

That sucks dude, sorry to hear about that. That's just bad luck really. I hear about all these people who drop their phones off something small like the couch or something and it just shatters. Must hit at just the right spot I guess, as I've dropped my phone pleanty of times and haven't broke the screen. Hell, it even fell out of my pocket while I was riding my motorcycle at around 40 mph l and other than scratches, it was fine. I thought for sure I'd be buying a new phone since when it fell I watched it slide for about 20 ft. Only thing I can say is I've had good luck.

7. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

2 of my friends had exactly the same problem.... cost them about 50 quid to replace that piece of glass.

8. tomtom101 macrumors regular

This happened with my iPhone 3G, and if anything it taught me that apple products are pretty flimsy, but still durable!!

My brothers iPhone 4 was recently driven over by a mitsubishi pajero, and after a quick €3 visit to ebay the thing is as good as new - apart from a slight drop in coverage!

9. DroidRules, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

Huh?

Never had this happen with my 4/4s wife's 4/4s. We of course know how to take care of our $700 items but not all do.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

TMI! :eek: ;)

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Heh heh. Did exactly this myself last month. It's not fun!

But I'm still not buying a case. I had to spend $200 to get a replacement phone. I've had iPhones since 2008 and have dropped them all multiple times. This is the first time I've actually cracked one up like that.

So by my math it's costing me $40 per year of iPhone ownership to not have a case.

Worth it.

12. saberz macrumors regular

Two years on both our iPhone 4's and no cracks or brocken glass. Just need to take care of it. I've also found that its best to not keep cleaning the glass on the back as eventually your prints help prevent it from sliding.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

this just in! when you drop glass it breaks!

Just gotta not dropt it. It's not as hard as it sounds.

14. lilo777 macrumors 603

Do tell us how you prevent accidentally dropping the phone. Do you keep it attached to some ribbon or something?

15. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Wow, knowledge of how to hold an item can prevent any accidental drops!

I've never dropped my phone either, but it's not because I'm really smart and highly skilled.

16. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Ironically the only 2 times I ever dropped my iPhone was when it was in a case not a scratch on it. I always use a case as a precation, and not really because I feel like I need it.

17. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Simply pay attention to your phone. If you have to move a tv, laptop ect ect would you do it all willy nilly or would you make sure you had a secure grip and took control of the device? I know you're going to say a cell phone isn't those things but I beg to differ. A $700+ device IS one of those things. I realize you carry your cell phone way more than you would move the other 2 items but why treat it any different? If I wouldn't carry my laptop around with 5 other things in my hand why would I do it with my cell? I don't neck carry my LED t.v. so why would I do it with my cell? Now I'm not sayng drops don't happen because the day I bought my i4 it slid off the marble counter of my Pop's R.V. and landed on the marble floor. Slight "dent" in the upper L glass but otherwise prestine. I then decided I needed to be more careful with my very expensive devices no matter what they are.

Practice by prevention..... good words of advice given to me by a very trusted Mountaineering friend.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Some of us are born klutzy. I had my phone in its otterbox and, even with the grip, I still managed to drop it in my recycling box. Another situation happened where it fell out of my jacket. The fall caused a crack in the plastic of the otterbox, but the phone was fine.
    Also, I've read stories here where an idiot's horseplay bumped into the owner and knocked the phone out of the hand.
    It's all good and well to say pay attention, but there are situations out of one's control.

19. DroidRules, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

That's my entire point. Why was your phone in your hand while you were recycling? No pocket/purse/briefcase ect to put it in? Did you really need to have your phone with you while doing your recycling?

Not judging just asking. My phone is either secure in my hand being used or secured in a protective area (pocket, backpack, on desk, charging ect ect) It took me a while but I learned my lesson after several stupid drops (one into the toilette) so now I just take care of it. I don't think about doing it it just happens. If I go to lay my phone down on my kitchen counter in the morning while getting the kids some chow, it goes one something raised off the counter because if something spills it won't get wet. If I need to rush for some reason I don't hold my phone in my hand, it goes in a pocket so there isn't a chance for it to fly out of my hand. I don't stick my phone between my legs while driving so I don't forget to grab it and sling it out onto the pavement when I get out. I have done these things before that's why I don't do them now. If you kept doing something that broke your laptop wouldn't you eventually stop doing it? Why not stop doing the things with your phone that might break it? Practice by prevention.... Learn it Live it.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've got a hard case on my iPhone 4S, but it's more for grip than anything else. I can see how a gel case would significantly protect it (but for some weird reason you can't get gel cases for the iPhone 4S) but I don't see how a thin, hard piece of plastic would.

21. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I wonder if the iPhone 5 will be glass. I'm currently using a Blackberry and I drop the phone so many times that it is still in good condition. Even last night I did - I was talking to my friend and I dropped the phone. I have very butter fingers. I'll check out the cases though

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are no guarantees either way, regardless of what the "I know how to take care of my device" and "You're going to break it without a case" people assert. Take whatever precautions you feel are needed and that you're willing to live with.

23. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Sounds like you should stick to a landline. Or learn to hold on to your things :rolleyes:

24. andross77 macrumors regular

This exactly. When people have their $700 iphone in their hand and decide to grab a sammmmmich but already have something in their other hand (basketball, water bottle, ipad, stack of Pogs :), shoes) so they try to pinch it with the hand that has the iphone.....i mean wtf?

When you are using your phone, don't have anything else in your hand. When you are not using your phone, put it in your pocket. If you don't have a pocket, place it in another secure place. It's not that hard :)

But some people just don't care/are negligent/lazy/apathetic (see: don't care) and then they break it and then make threads about how apple products suck and how glass shouldn't break if you drop it on hard surfaces.

We should just allow one response to those threads: a massive "rollseyes" graphic and then lock the thread.