The original iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applemagic123, Feb 4, 2011.

1. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

So how many people are still using the original 2g iPhone? Not just on this web site forum, but the total amount? I know it would be impossible to calculate, but do you figure a lot of people still own it?

I have the original iPhone. I use an unofficial carrier. The other iPhones are too expensive to me. I would love to have a factory unlocked 3gs for the speed and unlocked-ness of it.

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Obviously not scientific, but I'd say out of every 25 iPhones I see in the wild maybe 1 is an original iPhone. Hell, I love the thing. I still think it's the best looking/feeling iPhone to date.

3. iFitz macrumors regular

Nope. I've had every iteration so i only had the 2g for 1 year. But that was the most expensive one since there was no subsidy and it cost me $600. Try finding a 3GS on craigslist. You can find some pretty good deals now.

4. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I still have my original iPhone 2g. I don't use it as a phone though, it's been deactivated for years, and I'm basically using it as an iPod.

One speaker is blown out, the other is starting to mess up, and the volume down rocker isn't working. Other than that, the touch screen is very responsive, but I am noticing it starting to slow down a bit.

5. Savor Suspended

Savor

Sold the one I had the day the iPhone 4 was announced.

I never really cared for it as much as some other people, but still very useful and ahead of its time. It was definitely the most durable iPhone ever, but it personally gave me its share of problems. iPhone 4 has given me the least amount problems of any phone I ever had with maybe a handful of times having the screen freezing up (4-5x) and the occasional Safari crashing. The original gave me probs almost every few days and Safari crashed almost every day. Still, it has its place in history and the hearts of iPhone owners of being the pioneer.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

... The iPhone only has one speaker.

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

In my school of about 1000 people there's two of us that have the original. According to wikipedia there were 6.1 million original iPhones sold so I'd say about half or a third are still in use and quite a few used as iPod's

8. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Haha! I'm sure that is stickied on this forum?

My iPhone 2G is still in use alongside my iPhone 4. All working except vibrate now sounds like a muffled fart.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I still use my original 2G. Good shape, works well.

10. Apple 26.2, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Yup, I still use it. The thing is built like a tank... I've dropped it a couple of times from heights of about 4'... not a problem. If you did that with a naked 4, you'd most likely need a replacement or at least new glass.

11. applemagic123 thread starter macrumors regular

applemagic123

Hahah! Well that's pretty cool! I'd definitely agree that the 2g iPhone is the most durable. It's encased in a hefty CHUNK of aluminum and it doesn't have a 'plasticy' cheap feel to it like all other cell phones.

The only problem I have with it is the fact that is has such little memory (ram). Opening cydia brings my ram down to 20mb, and if I open a couple things in cydia, it goes down to 10mb, then I have to close it before it crashes or else the phone will just restart and hang at the apple logo for several minutes. That happened only once though.

I think a 3gs would have better memory management. I would only think it would be worth it get it factory unlocked though. I check ebay about once a month to see how much cheaper they are, but they're still at least $500.

I think if I had 2 iPhones, I would swap out the sim card and put it in whatever iPhone I felt like using for the day. When my best friend had the 2g iPhone back in '07, her usage would make the battery power last only half a day. She stated that she wanted 2 iPhones, one for the first half of the day and another for the second half of the day. lol!

12. RudyAndBlitz macrumors newbie

Ahh, my first iPhone. I remember the excitement of getting it. Finally upgraded to iPhone 4 when it came out. I still got my original. Kinda crazy putting it next to the 4 and seeing the huge differences all in the course of 3 years.

13. QuarterSwede, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Technically it has 2. I'm sure he's talking about the ear piece or bottom speaker (I would think at least).

Personally, I don't think the original was the most durable. My brother-in-law dropped his when getting out of his car and it completely crushed the top corner near the headphone jack. I still works but that didn't help when the bottom 10px stopped taking touch inputs. It's now my 2.5 year old's media player. I would say the 3G/3GS are more durable naked.

Out of the ones I've owned (original, 3G, 4) the 4 is, by far, my favorite in style and performance. It's definitely the easiest to break naked but with even a bumper it's more durable than all of the others.

14. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I prefer the look of the 3Gs. In my opinion it was much more sleek.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Honestly, I doubt it. A large number of people were under the misconception that the original iPhone had two speakers, unaware that one was for the microphone. There's even a sticky at the top of the forum that addresses it.

Hell, there are STILL people that have a panic attack about the exact same thing!

16. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Is it true that the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G had similar specs?

17. cole01 macrumors 6502

Yes, same processor and ram. The only difference was the addition of the 3G and GPS radios (and new design of course).

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

agreed. When just looks alone for getting specs.. hands down the best and coolest.

19. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Additionally, I like the relatively loud keyboard click sound; it gave one a sense of tactile feedback on a touchscreen -- at least compared to the iP4 -- which has a weak sounding audible keyboard click IMO.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My wife was using the original iPhone until this past June when she got the iPhone 4.

21. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Correct. On the phone itself on the bottom, it has a speaker on the left and right side of the charging port, the speaker on the right side doesn't work, while the left side is very staticy. But when wearing headphones, I can hear it on both ear pieces pretty well.

22. cdinca macrumors 6502

You are not paying attention.

23. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? :confused:

24. cdinca macrumors 6502

There is only 1 speaker on the bottom...the other is the mic.

25. Roadking macrumors 6502

cdinca is right. Check the iPhone forum sticky for "my speaker isn't working"