The Perfect iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xposd, Mar 14, 2011.

1. xposd macrumors newbie

xposd

If I was Mr Jobs this is how i would launch the next iPhone line to help people choose the perfect iPhone.

All Models Software = Wi-Fi Sync
    All Models Hardware = Retina Display, Wi-Fi N 5Ghz,

Black iPhone 4S (Speed) = A5 Processor, Standard Memory, 5MP Camera. £499

White iPhone 4M (Memory) = A4 Processor, Double Memory, 5MP Camera. £499

Silver iPhone 4X (Premium) = A5 Processor, Double memory, 8MP Camera. £599

How would you launch the next iPhone line?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The same way they have been doing it. Differentiate between storage capacity, color, and wireless service.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

Also I don't care how many megapixels the camera is as long as it takes great pictures. Higher MPs equals better pictures is false, given the tiny sensor size, increasing the pixel density will actually make the pictures worse. I'd rather see a larger sensor that can take decent images.

It would be a marketing mistake imo for apple to offer the next generation phones as a mixture of A4 and A5 processors.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I agree with maflynn, no way we'll see different processors in the next generation of iPhones, they'll be all A5s for sure.

What would be interesting is if they had a premium iPhone with double RAM or maybe a higher MP camera. I'm sure we'll continue to see tiered pricing with the amount of storage however.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

4S, 4M, 4X? Umm... the next iPhone will be the iPhone 5, not 4 anything.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Agreed, and for a company that promotes itself on simplicity, adding more variations of models would be an absolute headache. Look at the iPad 2 options, there are 18 different iPad 2s to select from, I think the best road for Apple to take is to keep things as simple as possible.

Apple doesn't get into a load of details on the specs of the internals, focusing more on what is the end-user's experience, they would much rather offer consistent performance across all devices than have different performance categories at different price.

There will most certainly be an increase in specs and performance, but don't expect to see options on what options get bumped. The only options should be 1.) carrier 2.) storage 3.) color (And I could live without this last one).

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Not to mention completely unnecessary, as the iPhone 4 will no doubt remain around for another year as the "entry level" iPhone.

Apple should just keep doing what it's doing. It seems to be working pretty well.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I doubt it, I think it'll have only minimal cosmetic changes, support for HSPA+, and maybe just the A5 will be some of the few new features.

iPhone 5 will have a new design and many magical features

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't change what ain't broke. The way they're doing it now seems to be working out fine for them.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think the way you differentiated all the models is way too complicated and somewhat limited.

The way Apple does it is best.

color 1, capacity 1
    color 1, capacity 2
    color 2, capacity 1
    color 2, capacity 2

11. xposd thread starter macrumors newbie

xposd

Speed is not everything

For some users like myself memory is more important than speed, i'd rather have an A4 chip with 64GB than an A5 with 32GB.

Apple's got the OS, the screen, The Processors its just the memory that's lacking, I've got Tom Tom europe which is 2.1 GB how much memory is left on a 32GB iPhone.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Kinda complacent for a user whose signature is "The gods favor the bold", is it not?:rolleyes:

13. ozred macrumors 6502

It's making money for Apple, but for those of us that are in the target market for _Smartphones_we need a larger display for the web, and other handheld computer tasks.

Otherwise it's OK.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd probably suggest that you're in the minority when it comes apple customers. Apple caters to the majority and they really don't need ginormous amounts of storage.

As others stated, just look at how apple sells the iPad and its other devices. There's a not much options to choose from, even from the Mac line. Apple is about simplicity.

15. xposd thread starter macrumors newbie

xposd

For Larger Displays your going to need larger pockets to carry them maybe you need to get a ipad.:)

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Now now, labels are for jars :rolleyes:

17. xposd thread starter macrumors newbie

xposd

I maybe the minority that apple need to think about now because majority will buy an iPhone because their friends got one, not because of what it can do for them.
    For me my iphone is a replacement for my laptop not my phone.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The thing is, it's probably not cheaper for Apple to pick the A4 over A5. However, 64GB would raise the price of the iPhone, not only for Apple ... but the consumers as well.

19. xposd thread starter macrumors newbie

xposd

If they were to make A4 smaller to make room for extra memory slot.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Ugh. I don't want a silver phone just to get more memory or a better camera. Good thing you're not Jobs.

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Here we go again: equating a, perhaps, 3/16" change in width (IF ANY) with toting around an iPad. Just stop it, you're embarrassing yourself.

22. xposd thread starter macrumors newbie

xposd

Single core A5

Single core A5 processor for next iphone cant see the existing iphone battery powering dual core A5 For long.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you basically want Apple to fragment current gen phones the same way other companies do? Sorry, I don't share that desire.