The Perfect Life

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Aug 13, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What would be your idea of a perfect life?

I'm not going to elaborate any further because I want to leave this question wide open. I've often wondered what other people's interpretation of the perfect life would be. :)

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think about this question often. The problem is, I know from experience with changes in my life so far, that sometimes the way I want my life to be isn't as good as I expected when it becomes that way.

That said, I'd like a family (ie. kids) and enough money so that I didn't have to work a regular job. I'd still work, it would just be on things that I enjoy and that I think will benefit other people. I'd like to have a house here, and a house in Japan that I can go between. Oh, and a really nice music listening room and stereo.

Like I said though, I have a feeling that if I had all that, it wouldn't be as good as it is in my mind. The most important to me is a family, and I realistically expect to have that in the not-so-distant future, so no reason to be discontented or unhappy.

3. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I'd love to have enough money to be able to do whatever I want (think multi billions). I'd build a beautiful house on a lake in the mountains and collect cars. I'd travel as much as possible.

4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Money isnt everything nor is it happiness. You'll find most RICH celebs are drug taking, stress heads...etc.

5. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Money would enable me to do what I want and have what I want. I'm not talking a nice house. I'm talking 20 million+. Plus with cars and everything else, that comes to a lot of money.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've debated replying-- started to reply and then stopped. Ugh. So I'll just say it 'cause yeah... :eek:

I think, the perfect life, would be if I could (learn) to be content.

Will things always go perfectly? According to plan? Will there always be a plan?

Of course not, but I've always felt, ever since I was a little girl, that if I could just learn to be content, then I could go with the flow. That yes, undoubtedly I'd have hardship, that yes, I'd feel disappointment, and anger, and frustration. But ultimately? If I could "just" be content? Then it would all work out.

:eek:

7. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

my perfect life would not have to worry about going to hell. My family and i had a barbeque tonight and i was cooking, every time i BBQ and im cooking i cant help but think to myself, damn i dont want to end up in hell. Im not a religious person, but i do believe in God. If i was to step on a cockroach i know thats the end of him, if my life was to end right now, i know im more than that cockroach and theres more to me than this short life on earth. I believe i go on, its just a matter of where. I know you all wont agree but thats what i feel.

Other than that i would like 1000 acres of land on the big island of hawaii all to myself, and an unlimited supply of food and electricity. And a beautiful hunny! Thats all i need. And about 20 million in the bank.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hours of MacRumors and lots of cheeseburgers.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think this is important.

To be content with both yourself and what you have is path to happiness.

Sounds good! :)

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would settle for a :
    nice house in Switzerland, Austria , New Zealand (south), Flat's in Manhatten and Iceland , Paris , and the Lake District

and a Full Final Cut Studio Setup - with lots of 30" ACD's and Mac Pro's,MBP's and very fast broadband in each of them

about £18.4 million in the bank just to tidy me over for the rest of my life, and maybe Smart Roadster to get about in

not having to do the 9-5 thing would be a start :)

Arrrhh o well only 6 more hours of today to go ;)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've always thought that if I won the lottery or ended up with millions in the bank, for whatever reason, that I'd work in my local super market. Just to keep me sane and my feet on the ground still!

Perfect life? Financial security (Me and Caroline on £40-50k jobs), nice house in either the Cotswolds or Saddleworth, running my own medium-sized game studio (not 9-5, more like 1-5pm :D ), driving a Triumph Spitfire. Couple of little 'uns running around. 'sall I want.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Being paid $1000 for every post and nugget of infinite wisdom I bring to these forums, including this extraordinary piece of literature you're currently reading.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Which just shows that there is a distinct difference between real happiness and pleasure, which many people mistake for happiness.
    I, too, think it would be nice to have cars and houses and enough money in the bank so I wouldn't have to work, but I would take a quiet afternoon at the park with my girlfriend and her 3 children over those things any day.

14. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

when i'm sat in one of my new houses looking out at the view and loads of money in the bank , i'll let you know how happy i am

;) money would free up my time , so i could use it on other stuff

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

To be situated such that the kid (plus any more I may have down the road) would never want for anything, but the ability to teach her to appreciate what she does have.

A way to guarantee that my wife and kids would be safe from harm forever more, and that they would never bring harm on another.

16. mpw Guest

How'd you get that figure?

My perfect life wouldn't be to have just cash, but having cash would be very nice and enable me to do so much that I can't do now.

Just being able to get up in the morning, open the curtains and say "Bugger, it's raining......I'm off to Barcelona, bring the jet round" or whatever would be nice. Not having to look at the purchase price, not that I'd actually spend all the money just not having to think about whether I can would ease a lot of pressure.

Right now I'm broker than I've ever been, and trying to find work, I'd be happy with 'not getting any worse' over 'perfect' for now. I don't think 'perfect' is even achievable, maybe 'perfect under the conditions'

17. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

for some reason i've lost all desire for material things, they are simply a novelty now...

I found knowledge is the one thing I desire the most. I'm filled with questions, millions of them, but ultimately they can be distilled into two or three which will most likely never be answered in my lifetime.

I suppose if I had access to quality healthcare when I needed it, a never-ending university enrollment, and lots of good coffee, i would be completely happy, even if i was homeless and sleeping in a cardboard box.

18. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

18.4 sounds nice - and i think i'd have a job trying to find £18.40 in cash right now this side of pay day :(

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I have to admit I'm pretty happy with my life at the moment. Sure there have been some really s---ty times and there are a lot of things I'd love to go back and change (even if I could only start 2007 over). However given the constraint of working from the present forward the biggest gripe I have is that neither my wife nor myself feels we get to spend enough time with our children. We could work it so that she doesn't have to work, but we'd not be as comfortable financially, our health benefits would not be as good, and we'd run the risk of being stressed/arguing about money more than necessary.

If I could have anything I wished it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-10 million in the bank (taxes already paid). Based on some simplistic math this would allow us to chose our work (charity, part time engineering, whatever we wanted to do) but not be forced to have to work. It also allows a nice enough bump in pay for us to allow for the inevitable increase in travel with our newfound free time. It's also not enough to really draw much attention to ourselves so we could live our lives without too much hassle from others trying to get the money from us.

Does that mean you pay us for any of your posts that don't fit the high literary standards you lay out? in that case you owe me $5-10 million... problem solved... my life is now perfect...:D

20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

A Mac Pro with an up-to-date video card would just about do it for me.

Oh yeah, and a normally-functioning back.

21. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

you got a bad back ?

22. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

crushed L-1 vertebrae, mechainical and bony fusion from T-11 to L4. I can tell you when it's going to rain before the weather man can.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like that. To study for life with no bills to pay, and a worthy computer for whatever course I was on.

24. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

blimey man- and if all you want is a Updated GPU for your Mac then more power to you !

ps when is it going to rain ?

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

To be happy, I'd need a life that changes. I'd love maybe a year or two working in South America, then perhaps trying India or the Middle East for a while. Then perhaps the Pacific Rim. After that, who knows?

The human mind is nothing if not ambitious, I don't think we designed to be content with one, fixed thing.