The Perfect Life

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I've debated replying-- started to reply and then stopped. Ugh. So I'll just say it 'cause yeah... :eek:

I think, the perfect life, would be if I could (learn) to be content.

Will things always go perfectly? According to plan? Will there always be a plan?

Of course not, but I've always felt, ever since I was a little girl, that if I could just learn to be content, then I could go with the flow. That yes, undoubtedly I'd have hardship, that yes, I'd feel disappointment, and anger, and frustration. But ultimately? If I could "just" be content? Then it would all work out.

:eek:
How very Taoist of you, Ms. Devilot. Have you read the Tao Te Ching? If not, you might want to.

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest
I like 'content'. currently feeling very much so. not working and living off of savings, goodwill, petty theft(guerrilla gardening),an understanding landlady with a frickin' fruit orchard in the backyard, it could be worse...:p

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
>> Doing well in my honours degree in maths
>> Being completely debt free (talking about $18,000)
>> Having a good job, with good benefits and holidays, earning around £40,000+ a year
>> Being able to be generous to my friends and family
>> Being able to randomly do things that other people might find stupid.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Waking up in the morning and being glad to be alive. Maybe not the perfect life, but being happy would be a step in the right direction.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
My perfect life

- A nice family, a blonde haired wife and maybe kids. If I had kids I would want either one son or one boy and one girl, preferably twins, if not I would want the girl to be older. Also a chocolate lab would be nice
- A nice quaint house, probably a colonial or a nice unique looking cape, big enough for the family, but not excessive. Attention to detail is a lot more important to me than size
- A couple nice cars, maybe a Land Rover or a Jaguar, a volvo for my wife haha
- A good job, no debt, and financial security
- Lots of family friends and good neighbors and people that are caring

I dunno, life is never perfect though, but its what you make of it

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Hershey, PA
My perfect life:

- Family: A loyal and loving wife, 2 kids (preferably 1 girl + 1 boy)
- I'd want to be a doctor. It's a very respectable profession, is usually stable, and would provide financial security as well.
- I'd want to live in the house that I live in now. Ohio is an amazing place to live in my opinion. Low cost of living, beautiful, and I'm right in between Cedar Point and Cleveland.
- Enough money to not have to worry about financial problems and lead a comfortable life style (with plenty of gadgets :D)
- And a BMW M3 would be nice to drive around too;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've been thinking about this all day. To finish off my first post...

I'm not too fussed about material stuff. Sure the newest iPod is nice to own, and the oldest for collectors sake. I found I'm most happiest when I've just been through a stressful situation (uni deadlines in particular) and I did what was expected and perhaps even had a little pat on the back. That moment is perfect for me. I could be with the most annoying person on my course or my girlfriend - I'll still be over the moon.

I suppose that's what I want. A stressful, hectic job with frequent rewards (any recommendations?). And a nice salary to pay off my student loan, a house big enough to house 3 kids and enough so that Caroline could even give up work herself for whatever reason (much like my parents did, having at least 1 parent always around was a great help for me growing up).

Cars I don't care much for so long as it moves and doesn't break down. And good for long distance for holidays :)

And the ability to still create, I've got a lot to learn in art and music still. A perfect life for me would be to never be perfect at them, but to constantly learning and improving.

Oh, and my game to be released and earn me a minor fortune so I can finally buy a fancy engagement ring and holiday for us both to boot :D

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
I would enjoy very much to have about $1 billion in assets, about half being completely liquid and the rest in mostly real estate. I would enjoy very much not ever having to work and just being able to go to school for whatever I wanted as many times as I wanted, playing lots of golf, doing habitat for humanity, and traveling the world. I would like to eventually marry my current girlfriend and eventually have children.

Money might not be able to make me happy in itself, but it would allow me to do the things that make me happy and be with the people that make me happy more often.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
hmmmm, I was thinking that I should post a really good comment because it will be my official 500th post since I joined two years ago. :cool: But honestly I am having a rough time and I don't care about a perfect life anymore--it will never happen now anyway. Perfect life = being with the love of my life.

OH WELL! :( At least I have an avatar now. Yippee.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I've got the wife and 3 children so all that leaves is lots of money and a dong like a stallion.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
I would enjoy very much to have about $1 billion in assets, about half being completely liquid and the rest in mostly real estate. I would enjoy very much not ever having to work and just being able to go to school for whatever I wanted as many times as I wanted, playing lots of golf, doing habitat for humanity, and traveling the world. I would like to eventually marry my current girlfriend and eventually have children.

Money might not be able to make me happy in itself, but it would allow me to do the things that make me happy and be with the people that make me happy more often.
:rolleyes: A billion?

Even family can be in excess. I love my family much more when I'm not living with them, lol.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Finish my degree and being freelance with no friggin' boss.
Get rid of debt and save up a good emergency fund/be self-insured/full retirement planning funds.
Start my own business.
Design and build my own home.
Bulk up to about 260lbs muscular with 10-12% bodyfat.
Have a family with my partner James.
Travel and see/experience the world.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Simple

be able to go to every Tool concert ever.....

That and to have a beer with Maynard. Though he is a wine grower, so maybe thats the wrong choice of drink.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Enough money to be comfortable in life, a nice job and a husband and two kids :D Also maintaining the weight I'm at and building some muscle up

Applespider

macrumors G4
Love and good health are probably the two most important things to a perfect life. And enough cash to have a decent roof over your head and buy good food.

The ability to ignore expectations and do what you want is probably up there too. We are all driven by expectations of being successful and what that entails in our societies. Expectations of higher education, owning our own properties drive us down certain paths but I look around at those who are doing something they enjoy but rent rather than buying or learned on the job and they don't seem more miserable.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2006
My perfect life isn't too ridiculous. I'm only 15 (16 in 3 days), so it could probably still happen.

That's all I want is the means to go to professional wrestling school.

That entails:

Monetary means, which isn't that much (~$3000). That's the easiest one.
My parents supporting me emotionally.
Location, Location, Location. (A good wrestling school somewhere near my household)

That's all I would want. Not "to be a professional wrestler". I just want the opportunity, because I would love to have the chance without always wondering...

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
I'd like to post a paragraph, regarding ageing, written by the zoologist Desmond Morris:

"Longing for the future and nostalgia for the past are the two great enemies of a rewarding life. A careful study of the most successful members of society soon reveals that they have broken all the traditional age rules. They have done things when they wanted to do them and have ignored any imagined limitations of time. They have succeeded early or triumphed late, lived short busy lives or long happy ones. The lesson they teach us is to eat life up greedily, never to procrastinate and never to think that it is too late."

Remember that this life is the only one you get, so enjoy it fully.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Let's see.

I'd like my brother to make it out of Iraq unscathed, and the two of us to live close to one another somewhere on the west coast.
To have steady growth and success in my business - I don't want Donald Trump-ness - I just want a to make a comfortable, steady living doing what I love.

And to borrow from devilot - to learn to be content with what I am, where I am, and what I have. That's the path to happiness, but it has to be genuine.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Where you are? Probably today. LOL. Where I am, not for another month maybe :D
Another month? I hope so! I can't even remember the last time we saw rain here in San Diego! Clouds start gathering in the East County late in the afternoon but alas......nothing.