Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
I'm really reaching a point of losing interest in upgrading my phone and the new features in the industry all around are not appealing any more. Much of what is being revealed is mainly about gaming but, even though I'm a casual gamer, my PS4 tends to fill that itch well enough that I haven't lusted at anything beyond Sony (Xbox is cool too)...

I have an iPhone 6 now for personal use and my main use for it has been text (multiple platforms), calls, banking/financials and social media. I played games couple of times on it but ended up not that interested and deleted them soon after. This phone will probably stay in my pocket till the wheels fall off and I'm forced to upgrade otherwise I'm just not that interested anymore.

It's not you Apple, it's me!
not_you.png

Anyone else shares the same sentiment?

jaxbrah

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
the 6s already appeases all of my needs.

its:

- fast
- reliable
- good enough battery
- 4k video
- band 12 on tmobile

there really wasnt much they could have enticed me with unless they created a market for something. thats called innovation, something theyve lacked without Steve Jobs

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I don't feel the need to upgrade my TV's, my car, my computers or my gaming consoles on a yearly basis, but yet Apple has somehow managed to make me think that I need to upgrade my phone every year. That said, I think I'm getting to the same point as you are. I'm losing interest and I don't think any other phone can offer me more (for my usage) than my current phone. Hopefully this is the year where I don't feel the need to have the "latest and greatest" iPhone and just be content with Apple's generous iOS update longevity.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Diminishing returns for sure. I'll upgrade my phone even 4 to 5 years, unless there's a compelling reason to change that.

It's time for upgrade now, but even if I had a 7 now, I would now consider the X (compelling reason would be a major form change)

Reactions: Broadus

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I got a SE 16gb and the only bad thing is battery runtime, but that is because it's a small battery-from all other aspects i got nothing to complain.

About the iPhone 8 i like the wireless charging, but that alone does not motivate to upgrade.

I will use my SE until the battery dies or i accidentally damage it. The times were mobiles felt outdated quickly are over. I use calls, texting, browsing and banking, and sometimes the camera to make pictures or PDF.

Every smartphone beginning at 100€ can do this nowadays. I only use Apple because of security and privacy and simplicity of the os.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
my iPhone 5 does odd things more often these days. Just saying there is a limit how long these phones will work reliable

Likely i will have to upgrade and have been lurking on craigslist for an iPhone7/7+. yes; i will get an iPhone 7 with the Qualcom modem and opt 128 over the bad designed 32G flash. Ill get the red one and know it is only 6 or 8 months old.

Coconut_one

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2017
In the same position phones are getting boring five years ago I spend almost 10+ hours each day surfing the net and watching netflix and music now. I only spend two hours each day listening to music excercising.
Funny thing a new device excitement wears off in a couple of days now for me.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Hard to innovate a rectangle each year to make it worth an upgrade. The chip and camera gains are also slowing down too. Plus they sell it as new tech when sometimes it's software optimization that leads to better batter life or faster speeds.

I don't have a wish list of items for the phone outside of better battery life. This should be the main focus. I would love to get back to the early days of cell phones when they lasted for days and not just half of one.

Reactions: Broadus

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
In the same position phones are getting boring five years ago I spend almost 10+ hours each day surfing the net and watching netflix and music now. I only spend two hours each day listening to music excercising.
Funny thing a new device excitement wears off in a couple of days now for me.
All phones have become buttonless slabs that pretty much do the same thing. People don't need 84 megapixels and quad core chips to post selfies on Facebook. The same thing happened with computers a long time ago. How much power do you need for MS Office and web browsing? I bought a Retina MacBook Pro in 2013 and it is still going strong. Besides TouchBar and faster processors, there hasn't been anything new in years.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

jeffs177

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
The only way I'll upgrade anymore is if AT&T brings back the 2 year contracts with a huge buy in discount (less than $500), otherwise I'll hold off until I can no longer download the lastest software on my current phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
People just don't like the price and that's all this is about. They wanted it to start at $700.

I agree the price point is offputting to quite a few iPhone owners who are seeking to upgrade. Mainly because they don't know if this technology and the latest features is worth the price point. Ultimately it comes down to what someone can afford and what they appreciate in the iPhone X.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I don't think you are alone in your sentiment. But the question for Apple is how many people are like you.

The same thing happened with laptop computers. They got to a point most people couldn't do anything more with them so they saw little need to upgrade.

I really like Apple's new phones but are they really going to let you do anything more than you do right now with your current phone.

Last month my cordless electric shaver which I've had for over 25 years finally stopped working. It had had problems along the way. But it kept shaving so I never bothered to replace it. The battery would not hold a charge so for the past ten years or so I was using it as a corded electric shaver. I think the battery just finally gave out completely.

I think for some who are on their third, fourth or fifth iteration of smartphone, they are looking more like another appliance that gets upgraded when the old one breaks.
[doublepost=1505384796][/doublepost]
People just don't like the price and that's all this is about. They wanted it to start at $700.

This will be interesting to watch. At what point does a US$200 Android smartphone look tempting when all you are doing is talk, text and Facebooking with friends? Apple seems to think it is some point beyond US$999. They've been right so far. It will be interesting to see if they continue to be right.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
apple might consider software upgrades every year but have the hardware on a 2 year cycle.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Indeed, improvement year to year has gotten smaller and smaller. I've upgraded every two years in the past, including this year when I get the 8, but in the future I think I may move to a 3 year cycle. Honestly, I'm questioning whether I really need to upgrade this year either, but I'm going to.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Apple held on to LCD display technology too long.

There’s nothing wrong with the plus models LCD. Side by side you’re going to struggle to tell the difference between the iPhone 8 plus screen and the X.

If you want to see what OLED screens can do, check out the note 8.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Same here. I still have my iphone 6 + but looking at an SE instead of an 8, but might wait until last minute to decide. The Smart Phone segment has reached it's peak. Don't be surprised if we start going Bezel Less Retro. ....

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm really reaching a point of losing interest in upgrading my phone and the new features in the industry all around are not appealing any more. Much of what is being revealed is mainly about gaming but, even though I'm a casual gamer, my PS4 tends to fill that itch well enough that I haven't lusted at anything beyond Sony (Xbox is cool too)...

I have an iPhone 6 now for personal use and my main use for it has been text (multiple platforms), calls, banking/financials and social media. I played games couple of times on it but ended up not that interested and deleted them soon after. This phone will probably stay in my pocket till the wheels fall off and I'm forced to upgrade otherwise I'm just not that interested anymore.

It's not you Apple, it's me!
not_you.png

Anyone else shares the same sentiment?

I think it's a combination of things:

1. Apple used to have the best designed phones in the industry, now they are no longer the most aesthetically pleasing phones.

2. Apple used to have the smoothest and most fluid user experience. Ever since iOS 7, iOS has been filled with random stutters/frame drops.

3. iOS feels and looks the same as it always has (with the additions of frame drops).

4. Apple still charges much more than the competition. But they do it just because it had an apple on the back of the device, not because the quality and features are ahead of the competition.

Add all of these up and it's not so hard to see where the frustration comes from.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have to admit that I was less excited about the new X than other introductions. Might be because I was in the middle of Irma, I do not know. Really nothing revolutionary with the X and I carry my phone all the time so the Apple watch is not for me.

I bet they still sell very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.