The Photokina 2012 Thread!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by firestarter, Sep 9, 2012.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Photokina is the World's biggest and best photographic show. Held once every two years near Cologne in Germany - this year's show kicks off on the 18th September.

We can expect all the big camera manufacturers to be announcing their upgrades in the week or so leading up to the show start (or on the show opening day).

Will Canon deliver a response to Nikon's D800? (The '3D'?)
    What will Panasonic's GH3 look like?
    Is Nikon's D600 ready for release?
    Is Sony going to blow the competition away with a super-high end full frame mirror-less camera?
    Will Hasselblad be joining the mirrorless party with a medium-format style camera?
    Is this the year for cameras with operating systems and applications?

What announcements are you waiting for? What do you think of the rumors and announcements already out?

[​IMG]

Some links:
    http://nikonrumors.com/
    http://www.canonwatch.com/
    http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/
    http://www.43rumors.com/
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

2. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I'm excited about the new PENs and some fun new m4/3 lenses. The GH3 sounds great, but way past any thought of my non-existent budget. I am very curious to see what Sony announces - I think they have a bunch of mad scientists running things in their camera division. I really wish I could get focus-peaking on my PEN like Sony has on their NEX cameras...

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Sony's full-frame RX1 compact looks very interesting. I wonder if they'll announce it with a mirrorless full-frame.

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Expected:

70D(Canon's most advanced APS-C camera)
    7D mark II(its like beginners guide to FF photography, cheaper than other FF DSLR)

But some rumors say its gonna be called 6D instead and 7D mark II will have dual digic 5 for 10fps.

Rumors rumors rumors!

Cant wait to see whats coming up though!

5. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Canon Rumors isn't putting too much faith in any new bodies. It seems the more legitimate rumors are regarding new printers, new powershot camera and a few new lenses.

6. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

I'm excited! Can't wait to see what Sony comes up with for the RX1, though, the price could be scary.

Realistically, I'm looking forward to some new Micro 4/3 cameras. I love my Olympus PEN E-P3, it has been my favorite camera to shoot. I would like to see the OM-D sensor in a new PEN. My ideal camera would be an E-P3 body with the OM-D sensor.

7. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

Just shy of $3k on launch day. Ouch. Honestly though its not a crazy price for a combo of that tech and that glass (remember the Zeiss as a lens sells for over $1k itself). I would be willing to pay (alright, save up to buy) that combo at that price if the lens was interchangeable. As-is it would suit most of my shooting needs but I'd still need another camera to use all my other (lesser) lenses. So I think I'm going to pass. I hope enough people buy it for Sony to release an NEX version though!

8. abar121 macrumors newbie

Looking forward to the RX1, also the new m43 lenses.

Some more primes to go with the already cracking selection, would be great.

Looking to get back to the 'blads then Andy?

9. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

I'd love to get back into Blads!

Not sure my bank account would though! :D

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

7D is due for an update in the industry. Maybe not for us(or me) since its still a very capable camera. But if the Nikon D7100 is released, Canon should have something to compete.

11. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

43 Rumors is suggesting some kind of amalgam of the EPL3 and EP3 with the OM-D sensor in addition to an updated mini. Something odd going on with a potential viewfinder-type thing, too

12. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

If that rumor holds true, I'll buy one.

13. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

With the recent firmware just released for the 7D, I doubt we will see an updated version of the 7D. Adorama apparently jumped the gun and put the 6D up for sale.

With the rumored specs of the 6D, I don't see how this will be an upgrade vs the 5DII.

14. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Looks like some great updates are going to drop in the next few hours!

There have been leaks about the new Panasonic GH3 all weekend, and it looks fantastic.

Details of the Canon 6D were leaked a few hours ago:
    A new 20mp sensor
    Full Frame
    4.5fps
    ISO Range 100-25600
    DIGIC5+
    APS-C Sized body
    Weathersealed
    SD Card
    Built-in Wifi & GPS
    11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center.
    3″ LCD
    Full HD (1920×1080)
    Available December 2012
    Price: $2099 USD​

Looks very competitive compared to the Nikon D600... the Canon wins on out-of-the-box connectivity (you need a $60 adapter to get wireless with the Nikon), although the Nikon is looking like a better video tool - and the 2 SD slots/built in flash will appeal to many.

(Personally I'm a big fan of built in flash - great to act as a master controller for other flashes and handy for occasional use filling blocked shadows).

Nikon have released an iOS app to provide remote control, and Panasonic are rumored to have one too. I hope Canon does the same!

15. Sideonecincy, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I think what Canon is projected to release is laughable. Canon is being "innovative" by releasing a camera with the same bad AF as the 5D2

The Nikon D600 has more megapixels, better FPS, better AF/more AF points and larger LCD screen.

Edit: I'm not a Nikon shooter bashing on Canon whatsoever, I've always shot Canon and they make great lenses and some great bodies, I just simply don't agree with their product projections.

16. Lehcim macrumors member

Will be there tomorrow and for the whole week! :D

17. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

^^ Good call on the 6D AF chip Sideonecincy. As a Canon shooter I like the look of the D600 better, and it is better specced. I think Canon may have done enough to keep it's users on board though - if it hits the right price point.

Then you can tell us what's happening! :p

According to rumors, we still haven't seen all that Hasselblad has to offer!

18. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Assuming the AF is identical to that of the 5D Mk2 (which actually isn't that bad unless your into shooting fast things).

19. sananda macrumors 68020

I'll be interested to hear about the Sony RX1 and the Leica M10 (and whatever else Leica are releasing). Not that I'm buying though!

20. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

I'm really excited about the new lenses coming from Olympus. I've been dreaming of a fast 17mm for a while, and boy did Olympus come through. Looks like it will be similar to the 12mm they released a while back. Fast, great aesthetics, looks like it will carry over the focus ring from the 12mm which is really slick. This is my must buy item from Photokina.

21. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've been saving up for the panny lumix 20mm/f1.7. Depending on the price this might be worth buying instead.

22. cube macrumors G5

I hope there are some new 3D cameras. It has been very quiet.

23. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

I would expect to pay $500+ for it. Looks like it will be considered one of the premier lenses made my Olympus, in the same category as the 12 and 75.

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The Olympus BCL-15 f8.0 Body Cap Lens sounds great.

I Like that the G15 has a f/1.8-2.8 lens though the loss of the ISO dial is a shame. I don't mind the small sensor (same size as previous G-series). I see it as a travel camera that doesn't need to be another G1x.

25. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'm interested in seeing how the new Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS performs in real world situations, to see if it's worth saving up. It's marketed at sports, but that lens has close-range wildlife written all over it.