The playstaion Vita's OLED screen puts things in perspective

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rovex, Jun 7, 2011.

1. rovex macrumors 65816

Sony announced the price of their new system as $250 and for that you a get a massive 5 inch OLED display coupled with a very high resolution. Now, why couldn't a 3.7 inch iPhone be implemented with OLED technology by the next version? If Sony can retail such a powerful machine at that price point with such a big screen to boot it couldn't be that expensive to integrate a great technology in OLED on the very next iPhone. The way I see it, retina with OLED is the way to go and realistically should be used as soon as possible.

2. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

1. AMOLED technology doesn't support retina resolution at that price point.

2. Sony's selling the PSVs at a loss. They just want to claim market share from Nintendo. You won't see this type of aggressive pricing from Apple. The PSV is worth at least a ~$400 piece of gear.

3. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

1. I stated OLED not AMOLED, and how do you know it wouldn't support retina?

2. Sony could well be making a loss through the price but until proven otherwise with a credible source i'll take it with a pinch of salt.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm pretty credible.

They're taking a pretty big loss, it's part of their business plan (see: Playstation 3) and they hope to recover their loses through sales of games and equipment over the life of the product.

5. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

1. Because Samsung invented the technology; makes the displays and they said in a press conference they won't be publicly affordable until 2013. OLED is terrible, nowhere near as good as the IPS LCD displays Apple is currently using. Apple doesn't have any reasons to change to it unless a retina Super AMOLED becomes available. As stated, that won't be for at least another year.

2. Dude, I'm pretty sure you didn't watch their E3 conference live. They explained their business strategy with the Vita pretty clearly along with the PS3.

6. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

1. I know samsung make AMOLED displays but not adamant about them making the OLED's for the Sony machine. Provide a link.

2. I watched a replay of the entirety of it this morning and no you are wrong they never described their business strategy and it's pretty evident they wouldn't ever imply (other than through the pricing) that they were purposely making a loss.

7. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

It's all about the business here, same thing as it was when the PS3 was released, Sony make a loss but in the end they earn a lot more back, smart marketing.

Can't wait for the Vita now as well, my most anticipated electronic device ever. I'm getting the next iPhone but if the Vita meets all my needs I'll probably sell the iPhone and get a cheap phone just to use for calling and texting while the Vita can do everything else.

8. rovex thread starter macrumors 65816

Those reporting at E3 playing with the Vita are saying the complete opposite so obviously you're in the minority or equivalently just making baseless assertions.

9. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

I'm sure Apple is content with the retina display now, in a few years down the road with iPhone 7 or 8 when there will be a big update, you can probably expect Super Retina display which would be better than OLED and AMOLED.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Although Sony have not made an official statement they have more or less implied that they are going to be selling the PS Vita at a loss. If I recall correctly Shuhei Yoshida who is president of Sony Worldwide Studios stated as much although not directly.

Not to mention it is widely known in the consumer electronics industry that a device with the specs of the PS Vita costs more them $250. Sony is well aware that both the PSP and the PS3 both came out at price points the market would not accept and it hurt their sales. They are prepared to take a loss on the PS Vita in order to gain market share and are looking at the long term prospects rather then the short term.

11. 306Designs macrumors member

Great points made here. Apple's R&D is as far ahead as any company and I'm sure they would be on the ball if there was a technology worth looking it.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yes and im sure Samsung will just sit on their hands and not come out with anything better for themselves in that time frame :rolleyes:
    I mean c-mon, in a year Samsung came out with AMOLED and then SuperAMOLED while Apple hasnt even came out with a new phone yet.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Sony sells it at a loss just like what they did to PSP and PS3. Both Sony and Microsoft usually do sell their systems at a loss and recoup it in software and later on in hardware when manufacturing cost goes down. Only Nintendo doesn't sell their hardware at a loss, but have inferior specs or strip away the features.

Sony is going to sell more expensive proprietary memory cards to recoup those losses. Accessories and software. They just want to get the installed base out there fast so software developers can make games for the platform. A gaming system relies solely on games to live on. Without games, nobody buys it. So having an installed base helps attracts more third-parties.

$250 for a Vita with OLED with a ton of other great specs is a bargain. OLED is very costly to have. I think quad-core = overkill anyway, but it makes Vita more future-proof. Four cores is like having a 12MP camera without using it under that setting. Single-core and dual-core is good enough for me. Just hope battery life is decent. Vita can create a niche for itself even with phones and tablets taking away its audience. Actual buttons, more games for hardcore and social networking, and implementations with PS3 will keep it relevant. I just hate I have to buy another expensive proprietary memory card. SD cards would have been dirt cheap.

14. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Companies have been taking a loss on hardware since the dawn of game systems. They make money on software and peripherals.

they dont make money on the hardware til way down the line when the hardware has either been revamped, or manufacturing costs have become cheaper.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as Sony seems to own most of the important OLED patents (and definitely tons of OLED manufacturing ones), I wonder why they can do such a thing??? :roll eyes:

Might want to look a bit into how the Tech industry functions before you make statements like the underlined.

16. randomdude321 macrumors newbie

Most of the PS Vita videos were taken from dark or dim lighting conditions. This shows off the color much better than in harsh lighting. OLED displays suck in harsh lighting (ex. outside on a sunny day), which iPhones are normally used.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Same here. My most anticipated gadget of 2011 and probably since iPhone 4.

I wouldn't sell the iPhone though. Already part of the ecosystem that I wouldn't want to let go of all my iTunes purchases. Just use it as an iPod touch since it has the best multimedia organizer. But Vita can pretty much take away alot of the multimedia load off my phone that downgrading to a dumbphone without a data plan to save cost does make sense. Probably buy another phone next year and go prepaid or month-to-month. Hate signing two-year contracts.

With iPhone 4, I love the sharpness and detail. But with OLED, I love the sharp contrast with colors that just pop at you.

18. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wait... what?

19. DanteMann macrumors 6502

The only reason I don't see Apple having anything like that is because they don't make any of the displays. But Sony does, so I don't see why Sony couldn't release such a display on their next phone.
    Samsung is another Manufacturer that will show amazing strides in display tech. The next Nexus, called Nexus Prime is rumored to have a SuperAmoled HD display, that is also rumoured to appear on the SGS3 which Samsung CEO says will be out Feb 2012 at MWC 2012. The rumour for the new display got even more steam when Samsung Romania tweeted the new display would be available. Then of course they removed the tweet and said it was a mistake. SuperAmoled HD is supposed to be 1280x720. Samsung already holds the technology for SuperAmoled above 300ppi, so we shall see when they decide to release such a ridiculously amazing display. MWC 2012 will be very exciting indeed. Especially if September ends up being underwhelming.

20. ap3604 macrumors 68000

After going to the Att store numerous times and comparing phones side by side I have come to the following conclusion that the only 2 screens I will accept on a phone is:

1) iPhone 4 high resolution IPS display
    and
    2) SuperAMOLED+

I've compared the two and the iPhone's is better resolution and better sunlight readability (than say the Infuse 4g) but if I had to pick a different phone it would be one with SuperAMOLED+

21. mikelegacy, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

[edit]I'm dumb. Wikipedia screwed me.

22. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Mikelegacy's knowledge just opened a can of whoopass on rovex :p

[​IMG]

Ouch that had to hurt...

23. mikelegacy, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'm just a geek that's all :D

EDIT: I've done a shameful thing and used Wikipedia for my geek research and it failed me...yet again.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Where did you see that the Vita screen is a PMOLED? I can't find that info anything.

25. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Hahahaha, Wikipedia never fails to make me look like an idiot. Thanks to whomever typed that it's a PMOLED screen on there. Hahahahaha

Thanks to LIVEFRNYC for proving me wrong. I need that every once in a while or I can fit my technical-saavy head through the door.

Either way, my info other than that, (the most important part and the only part I had to look up) was correct, so I guess I taught you all something ;) hahaha

Anyways, if we are here to talk facts and numbers that I know to be true, the vita sports a 960x544 resolution on a 5" screen and that gives it a 220ppi resolution, which pales in comparison to the iPhone's 960x640 resolution on a 3.5 incher that comes out to 326ppi.

Can't beat that color contrast though :(