The plot thickens: apple store AT&T LTE upgrade....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrAkD, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok so I'm not one of those people that thinks every little thing means anything but I've been at a few malls recently and apple is holding meetings in the food court in plain clothes that prob means nothing

However today I went to the apple store and every single AT&T iPhone had NO SERVICE but every verizon phone had full reception. (hold the jokes lol) I just found it peculiar but like I said to start this post may mean nothing but after seeing the lte pic that was pulled earlier this week just made me think.

Any one else see anything like this in an apple store recently?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Their AT&T antenna was probably not working. In regards to the LTE upgrade it makes sense to do it now. Apple has hundreds of stores to upgrade to LTE even if they aren't making plans for a LTE anytime soon it makes sense to do it now.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My town doesn't offer LTE from either carrier, so wouldn't that be False advertising if as soon as I left an Apple Store my LTE would revert back to 3G?

I do believe that LTE is coming, I just don't think its coming yet.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This doesn't make much sense to me.
    Wouldn't the store iPhones connect to the AT&T towers outside of the store?
    ... or is your Apple store a huge dead zone for AT&T?

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My local Apple Store has been the same way since early-mid July, the AT&T iPhone 4's say "No Service" not "No SIM"

I thought the same, why wouldn't it connect to an outside tower?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

FWIW, every iPhone here at my local stores in the Toronto area have no service. All GSM.

7. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

no my phone had full bars....and usually the att phones have service in apple stores around here so I found it odd.

8. n8236 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this applies to all Apple stores, but one of our San Francisco stores have a reception antenna in their back room. How do I know this? Because when I took my broken 3G (which was still under warranty) to the Genius Bar to get it looked it, I had FULL reception. But once I walked outside the proximity of Apple's antenna, I had zero bars. They replaced my 3G and sure enough, they had an antenna in the back room.

I wouldn't be surprised their demos didn't have reception, what purpose does it serve? Plus, it would be a financial and security lapse. People can steal the SIM chips or make international calls with them. It's like leaving the shift knob in a car inside a car show.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I was contemplating switching to VZW cause of LTE and hopes in an LTE iPhone. I've been with AT&T for years and been very happy. AT&T iPhone compares better to VZW iPhone in data speed, no comparison. In regards to voice AT&T and VZW are equal.

But if VZW gets an LTE iPhone I'll be very jealous.