Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The moral of the story is if you have an Air from this year and previous years, don’t compare and overly scrutinise the display against OLED panels and you won’t care less. It’ll be a cheaper outcome too.
I have an OLED TV at home. It's hard not to compare against LCD. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Surfsalot

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Interesting. I bought my Series 5 in 2020 and am still using it today. I've used Always-On-Display for the past four year too. No burn-in. So, as always, YMMV. Also, Series 5 OLED is single-stack OLED, not dual-stack.

This is just a reminder again that if you're looking in a relatively bright environment, it's much harder to see the difference between a mini-LED iPad Pro and an OLED iPad Pro. If it's really bright, like outside, then the OLED will be better because it can go brighter, but IMO, the real advantage is in very low light (eg. watching a video on the couch at night with the room lights dimmed). OLED blacks just look so much better than mini-LED, with no blooming. See the picture I posted above.

BTW, I was able to compare the 2024 OLED iPad Pro vs. the non-mini-LED LCD 2024 iPad Air. The 2024 iPad Air looks noticeably worse than the 2024 iPad Pro even in moderately bright room light. The contrast looks worse, and the viewing angles are slightly more narrow. The Air's screen is definitely a step down.
You're right, in pitch black scenes with fireworks the lack of blooming is apparent on the new tandem OLED IPP, but it seems to require specific content (or darker viewing environments) to notice that new OLED goodness. In the 2-3 years I've had the M1 12.9 IPP it still looked pretty marvelous watching HDR content and "dark" movies such as Interstellar.

What I appreciated more with the tandem OLED is crisper clarity with motion, on account of the quicker pixel response time. That, surprisingly, was the more noticeable difference for me. When comparing 20 minutes worth of HDR content in-store I just didn't see the massive improvement touted by tandem OLED. The OLED is better than MiniLED, just not mind-bogglingly better. MiniLED set the bar pretty high and I never had a complaint using it in our sunroom, but I also don't commonly take my IPP out in full direct sun as others might.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have an OLED TV at home. It's not to compare against LCD. ;)

Thankfully I haven’t got anything other than my iPhone and watch that use OLED, not that I study picture quality with any interest in the first place. LCD is still good enough in 2024 I’d say for those not interested in investing thousands into their consumption devices.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
You're right, in pitch black scenes with fireworks the lack of blooming is apparent on the new tandem OLED IPP, but it seems to require specific content (or darker viewing environments) to notice that new OLED goodness. In the 2-3 years I've had the M1 12.9 IPP it still looked pretty marvelous watching HDR content and "dark" movies such as Interstellar.

What I appreciated more with the tandem OLED is crisper clarity with motion, on account of the quicker pixel response time. That, surprisingly, was the more noticeable difference for me. When comparing 20 minutes worth of HDR content in-store I just didn't see the massive improvement touted by tandem OLED. The OLED is better than MiniLED, just not mind-bogglingly better. MiniLED set the bar pretty high and I never had a complaint using it in our sunroom, but I also don't commonly take my IPP out in full direct sun as others might.
Completely agree. This OLED certainly seems to be better so far (long term performance aside), but at this point in time miniLED is still far better than many seem to want to acknowledge.

HDR videos are the absolute worst case ... if your main use case is watching HDR starry skies and fireworks at night in a pitch black room, then sure, marvel over the OLED display. In reality, for regular content (say, web surfing), the iPad doesn't need to push HDR highlights against a black background and the blooming effect is quite minimal against the worst case of white text on a black background and non existent for most content. I've tried to observe the blooming effect on the iPad Pro miniLED several times and the only time it's ever been noticeable for me is when I intentionally go into a pitch black room and open one of these worst case scenarios.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Completely agree. This OLED certainly seems to be better so far (long term performance aside), but at this point in time miniLED is still far better than many seem to want to acknowledge.

HDR videos are the absolute worst case ... if your main use case is watching HDR starry skies and fireworks at night in a pitch black room, then sure, marvel over the OLED display. In reality, for regular content (say, web surfing), the iPad doesn't need to push HDR highlights against a black background and the blooming effect is quite minimal against the worst case of white text on a black background and non existent for most content. I've tried to observe the blooming effect on the iPad Pro miniLED several times and the only time it's ever been noticeable for me is when I intentionally go into a pitch black room and open one of these worst case scenarios.
Yeah, but the blooming is horrible in those conditions of a darkened room with dark video content. If you use your iPad Pro only for content creation in a well lit room, then OLED may not be as big of a benefit, but a lot of people use their iPad Pros for content consumption as well. And if you're a sci-fi fan and foreign content fan like me, star fields and subtitles are common during that content consumption.

But like I said I have an OLED TV as my primary TV, so everything gets compared to that. I bought a secondary TV for my home office, so to save some money I went with a well-rated Sony FALD TV and quite frankly I hate it. The glow on dark content just irritates me to no end. In retrospect I would have been much happier to spend 50% more to get OLED, even though I don't even use that TV very much.

Reactions: klasma and rkuo

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I just saw the new iPads at Best Buy because I was in the area. Not impressed by them at all. My phones OLED screen is much better quality than either M4 iPad and MUCH brighter. Charging these prices is highway robbery. While you're at it, do you want my car too?

A couple people were looking at it too and I told them to save their money. They were so grateful for my expertise that they told me I just made their day and that I saved them a lot of money.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just saw the new iPads at Best Buy because I was in the area. Not impressed by them at all. My phones OLED screen is much better quality than either M4 iPad and MUCH brighter. Charging these prices is highway robbery. While you're at it, do you want my car too?

A couple people were looking at it too and I told them to save their money. They were so grateful for my expertise that they told me I just made their day and that I saved them a lot of money.

Picked up my new 13" 512GB Pro this AM and am loving it.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017

Seeing them in store is not the same as using them for a prolonged period, in differnet lighting conditions etc. I wasn’t initially wowed by the screen when I saw them in my local Apple Store (where I collected my iPad), but upon getting home and using it, it quickly became apparent this is the best screen I have ever used, bar none. And I still have my old 12.9“ IPP with Mini-LED to compare it with.

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
To be honest, I'll probably end up with a new OLED iPad, I use my M1 11" to watch a LOT of You Tube videos, and when they are videos like this one, I can tell you they look better on my iPhone 14 Pro Max OLED screen then my iPad Pro M1 LCD screen:

The scenery this guy shoots is breathtaking.
Who would've thunk it? A customer who's primary use case is youtube videos being served well by going with/upgrading to the 2024 Pro model.

Apple haters need to refresh their "wasting power, wasting money" talking points.

Reactions: Pezimak

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
And here I thought you were gonna sit on the sidelines… what made you decide to go ahead and take the plunge?

I had been on the fence about it - I know I didn't need to update. But my wife is still on the Air 2 and has mentioned upgrading at some point so a few days ago I showed her my 12.9 - she never really looked at it - and asked if she'd be interested in using it as I was at least considering an update. Meh, it's big, she said. Then I showed her some 4K videos on it and that sealed the deal - as of today, she's now using the 12.9 and I have a 13.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Yeah, but the blooming is horrible in those conditions of a darkened room with dark video content. If you use your iPad Pro only for content creation in a well lit room, then OLED may not be as big of a benefit, but a lot of people use their iPad Pros for content consumption as well. And if you're a sci-fi fan and foreign content fan like me, star fields and subtitles are common during that content consumption.

But like I said I have an OLED TV as my primary TV, so everything gets compared to that. I bought a secondary TV for my home office, so to save some money I went with a well-rated Sony FALD TV and quite frankly I hate it. The glow on dark content just irritates me to no end. In retrospect I would have been much happier to spend 50% more to get OLED, even though I don't even use that TV very much.
I watch mainstream content on my TV anyway as it is more immersive on a large screen, so the cons of the miniLED iPad screen, such as they are, are less of an issue for me. I do plenty of content consumption on my iPad otherwise, it's just not THAT content.

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I had been on the fence about it - I know I didn't need to update. But my wife is still on the Air 2 and has mentioned upgrading at some point so a few days ago I showed her my 12.9 - she never really looked at it - and asked if she'd be interested in using it as I was at least considering an update. Meh, it's big, she said. Then I showed her some 4K videos on it and that sealed the deal - as of today, she's now using the 12.9 and I have a 13.
Nice upgrade for your wife, and you. ;) I offered my daughter a newer iPad than her iPad Air 2 yet she declined. She said maybe in a year or two. 🤷‍♂️ However, I'm using an iPad Air 2 right now, and I find it soooo laggy.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Nice upgrade for your wife, and you. ;) I offered my daughter a newer iPad than her iPad Air 2 yet she declined. She said maybe in a year or two. 🤷‍♂️ However, I'm using an iPad Air 2 right now, and I find it soooo laggy.

Yeah, I had an Air 2 years ago and the difference is huge. She also really likes the MKB she got with my 12.9.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Seeing them in store is not the same as using them for a prolonged period, in differnet lighting conditions etc. I wasn’t initially wowed by the screen when I saw them in my local Apple Store (where I collected my iPad), but upon getting home and using it, it quickly became apparent this is the best screen I have ever used, bar none. And I still have my old 12.9“ IPP with Mini-LED to compare it with.

True but I still wouldn't pay what apple is asking for on the m4s. However if they announce Mac OSx on iPad m4's only. Then I would get one and sell my M1

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I watch mainstream content on my TV anyway as it is more immersive on a large screen, so the cons of the miniLED iPad screen, such as they are, are less of an issue for me. I do plenty of content consumption on my iPad otherwise, it's just not THAT content.

I don't get the whole watching hours and hours a day of videos on an iPad thing. If you're traveling and always out and about, then sure. But at home? There's nothing that enjoyable about watching on a tiny 13-in screen with black bars on the top and bottom. I'll take a huge OLED TV over it everytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLRabb

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Who would've thunk it? A customer who's primary use case is youtube videos being served well by going with/upgrading to the 2024 Pro model.

Apple haters need to refresh their "wasting power, wasting money" talking points.

You seem to be the only person who finds that bizarre and that casual consumers tend to like the entry level iPads and Airs, speak for yourself.

Apple haters? Where did that come from? So you clearly think people buy Apple products because they hate them, sound logic that.

Reactions: klasma

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I don't get the whole watching hours and hours a day of videos on an iPad thing. If you're traveling and always out and about, then sure. But at home? There's nothing that enjoyable about watching on a tiny 13-in screen with black bars on the top and bottom. I'll take a huge OLED TV over it everytime.
not everyone is like you eh?
so all your negativity posts and you'd never even seen one lol ok

I have a home office work from home, very common these days, so the iPad is another screen to my iMac, have all sorts of stuff running, sport, surfing etc

I have my 65" Sony in my lounge room won't fit in my office :)

Reactions: EugW and sparksd

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
You seem to be the only person who finds that bizarre and that casual consumers tend to like the entry level iPads and Airs, speak for yourself.

Apple haters? Where did that come from? So you clearly think people buy Apple products because they hate them, sound logic that.
Mate I know you're mad cause Klopp left but you gotta get another hobby cause the fact that the 2024 Pro models are a great option for all current and potential iPad users isnt changing anytime soon.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I offered my daughter a newer iPad than her iPad Air 2 yet she declined. She said maybe in a year or two. 🤷‍♂️ However, I'm using an iPad Air 2 right now, and I find it soooo laggy.

So true. Particularly so when you’re used to using faster phones and computers (using a Ryzen Zen 3+ now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.