Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Revolutionary! LOL. I still don't quite get it. I have a Smartwatch (Asus Zenwatch) and at first - I was having fun with apps like these, then I slowly started pulling my phone out because the UX is simply better and I have to have it on me at all times anyway.

There's this weird schism between what we want to do on the watches and what we want to do with our phones. I don't think this is a case of Google Wear being inferior, I just haven't seen the killer app for these things yet.

So your argument is "I found Android Wear unappealing, therefore Apple Watch sux"?
What's next? "I tried one of those Blackberry things, and I can't see why anyone whose not a CEO would need a smartphone"?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I actually cancelled my AppleWatch order today. I was ambivalent about it anyway and the more I learn the less compelled I am to get one. I may change my mind later....maybe they'll show up in the refurb store later this year. Or better yet, wait till the second generation. Disappointed the heart rate monitor doesn't integrate with non Apple fitness apps and in fact it suggests pairing with a Bluetooth heart rate monitor for better results. That's what I currently use with my phone anyway, so it's not at all clear to me how the watch will add much. I have a 6+ and I usually carry it in my hand rather than my pocket, so accessing it is nearly as convenient as the watch is. The watch will be better if I can start leaving the phone behind.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Is the general consensus that this thing is not a must have device? Also, if you feel that way, is there something in particular that WOULD make it a must have device? Just curious, as a still interested but yet to take the plunge outsider.

The general consensus is that the phrase "must have device" is utterly meaningless. There is NOT "must have device" unless, perhaps, you're referring to a pacemaker.
No-one will die without a computer or phone --- or without a house or without books or without nice clothes.

So the point is not "must-have", it's "does it provide value for money". And that is a VERY subjective thing, not just in terms of value, but in terms of "for money". I have no idea what you spend your money on, or how much you make. Will it provide more cumulative pleasure than two(?) visits to your local hooker, or four visits to a Broadway show, or eight(?) nights of drunkenness, or eight mid-range nice items of clothing?

What I do know is that someone making grand pronouncements about the spending desires of every America, let alone every world citizen, clearly is talking out his a**.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Revolutionary! LOL. I still don't quite get it. I have a Smartwatch (Asus Zenwatch) and at first - I was having fun with apps like these, then I slowly started pulling my phone out because the UX is simply better and I have to have it on me at all times anyway.

There's this weird schism between what we want to do on the watches and what we want to do with our phones. I don't think this is a case of Google Wear being inferior, I just haven't seen the killer app for these things yet.

My friend kind of regrets getting his Apple Watch. He calls his Apple Watch "my iPhone's $400 assistant" and most of the time it's not much of an assistant. He also had his boss ask him if he had somewhere to go when he looked at his watch more than he probably/normally would if it was a normal watch. So be careful when/where you look at your Apple Watch. You don't want to piss off your boss, colleagues or SO.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
No *****. That's exactly what I was thinking..."Quit showing me all the amazing and wonderful things I could be doing with the WATCH I DON'T YET HAVE!".

How about a useful story on what's being done to address the backlog of missing 42mm SS w/ SSLB watches? How about a nice graph or something that summarizes all of the reports of who ordered their watch when and whether or not they've gotten theirs? Lord knows there's enough data in the Forums for one of the MacRumors interns to build a us a pretty graph.

It never fails to amaze me when you interject a totally unrelated comment into a thread like this.

Go create a moan and groan thread and complain there instead of here. I have my watch. I'd like to read about this kind of thing without hearing of your miseries. It's inappropriate to post your crying here. I normally wouldn't want to rub it in that I've had my watch for two weeks now and absolutely love it beyond description. But in this case, I'll make an exception!

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
When a calculator is the most useful app, you know you have problems justifying a multi hundred dollar device.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
So far I like:

Alarm.com for my house alarm very useful
Chipotle app no explanation required
tamagotchi
discover card nice being able to see my balance etc

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These gadgets are just making the humankind dumber and dumber.

Look at the the pathetic apps that lists stuff to do: cut hair, call mom, go to store, clean up garage, etc.

Why can't you use your brain to calculate the tip? Work that brain muscle more. I mean I can see how the iPhone has greatly enhanced life in the perspective of being able to go everywhere using GPS/navi apps, calling people seeing how their are doing via FaceTime, sending messages with videos and voice, all sorts of life enhancing product apps.

Now you just have these answers to no problems to begin with - the apple watch is just superfluous. It's almost as if people are trying so hard to come up with an app that makes the watch useful.
Reminders on your wrist? That's just useless. Just as having the time on your wrist. You could just look up time in many places around you rather than having it on your wrist, or put your brain to work actually and use the sun to figure it out (assuming it's not night time or it's cloudy). /s

----------

ridiculous. just whip out your iphone and get real work done.
Real work? Just whip out your laptop and then get actual real work done. ;)

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Perhaps the most useful functionality of Calcbot for Apple Watch is the tip calculator, which allows you to enter the total cost of your bill, calculate a 10% to 30% tip and divide the amount between up to 10 people if necessary.

Sure, 10% or 30% of a bill is so hard to do without a calculator... :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, 10% or 30% of a bill is so hard to do without a calculator... :rolleyes:
Harder in various scenarios and/or for some people. In particular if non-round amounts/percentages are used and random number of people that it all needs to be divided by. Certainly more potential for human error (again in various cases and/or various people).

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
One screen is small on your wrist, the other is about 4-6 times larger in your pocket. Your pocket is about 10 inches from your watch.

The iPhone 6+ does not fit into my pant pockets... Especially since having a toddler I have to kneel or squat around 10,000 times a day, which is very inconvenient to do with a chunk of fragile phone in my pocket... And the regular 6 is big too when you have to be very mobile.

In winter, my phone is usually in my coat pocket - where I usually can't feel it vibrate and the ring is off all the time. And this leaves three seasons when the phone is in my backpack. And less missed calls/SMS in winter too...

Moreover, I do most of my daily travels by bike. You really don't want to be pulling out a 6 or 6+ out of your pocket when you're in the middle of aggressive urban traffic. The smartwatch is ideal for that : I can see if a call is important or not, I can quickly check a SMS when waiting for green light or I can use the GPS on it.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
no mention of dictate texting? i find that to be the most useful, especially while driving. i'm quite surprise on how well it work, 8/10

That is a great point!

Here's the greatest Siri text fail:

-We're here but my might need some help my car was wearing and silver like he's had
(Translation: "We're here be we might need some help with the chairs", and I have no clue what the rest means)

jedifaka

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
California
Most Useful?

I think some number of people will think that list amply supports their decision not to buy the :apple:watch
Wonder what the least useful apps look like.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Getting back to what you asked ... It's hard to put it into words. To me, there is nothing that really screams, "OMG, where has this been all my life?!"; however, the longer I have it, the more I would not want to part with it.

They know how you feel:
microsoft-spot-watch-smartwatch-600.jpg

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
These gadgets are just making the humankind dumber and dumber.

Look at the the pathetic apps that lists stuff to do: cut hair, call mom, go to store, clean up garage, etc.

Why can't you use your brain to calculate the tip? Work that brain muscle more. I mean I can see how the iPhone has greatly enhanced life in the perspective of being able to go everywhere using GPS/navi apps, calling people seeing how their are doing via FaceTime, sending messages with videos and voice, all sorts of life enhancing product apps.

Now you just have these answers to no problems to begin with - the apple watch is just superfluous. It's almost as if people are trying so hard to come up with an app that makes the watch useful.

Let's just answer these points by color:
Lists of stuff... Well, Microsoft Exchange came up with lists of stuff called "tasks" about 15 years ago, and the nice thing about that was that it was with you wherever your computer was, then wherever the internet was with Outlook Web Access. That's just the one I know well, but I'm sure that others had task lists on computers before that. The point I'm making is that when we offload stuff contextually, it stays in one place, and we can use our brains for other things besides remembering to pick up that loaf of bread on the way home. The context for that task is when we're in our cars.

I'm an engineer. Calculating tips is easy for me. Drawing anything other than a stick figure is not my skill. There are those that are great at things, like art that are not good at math. This provides help for them. It solves their problem. When I look down at non-engineers (it's an easy trap to fall into, especially when that is the pinnacle of useful work), I find myself not being empathetic to their plight of not being an engineer, and knowing that I was able to scale to the peak of useful professions, tell them to get their lazy behind in gear does nothing but start arguments, which, if you were an engineer, you'd know that's what we love to do, because we're right all the time, and it is a self aggrandizing mission.

Anyway, back to the point (and that was sarcasm, folks...), not all people are great at everything, and if there's an app for that, good for you! Use it, and I'll use my brain to figure out the tip. As long as we get to the same answer, to me it's like keeping my brain sharpened, and to those that use the tip app, it's one less thing they have to deal with, and for the waitstaff, it's a win for them too.

Maybe those of us that do have the watch don't have your problems, but we have our own (theoretically... back to the whole engineer thing) to solve.

It just reminds me of a bumper sticker that Dieter F. Uchtdorf reported on: "Don't hate me because my sins are different than yours."

...and so it goes...

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
My husband got the Apple Watch and has been doing the opposite. He's put away his smartphone and is using the watch almost exclusively (phone calls excepted). He loves (LOVES LOVES LOVES!) that it's helping him escape from always checking his phone and feeling that he has to answer every text, every email.

I think that's why you're not getting it. Because you have that other watch rather than the Apple Watch. Those who have the Apple Watch are getting something from it—and are getting it.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Harder in various scenarios and/or for some people. In particular if non-round amounts/percentages are used and random number of people that it all needs to be divided by. Certainly more potential for human error (again in various cases and/or various people).

It's faster to do it by voice with Google Search and you don't look like a geek with a calculator watch. Work smart not hard.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's faster to do it by voice with Google Search and you don't look like a geek with a calculator watch. Work smart not hard.

But you might look even more like a dork talking to your watch.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
It never fails to amaze me when you interject a totally unrelated comment into a thread like this.

Go create a moan and groan thread and complain there instead of here. I have my watch. I'd like to read about this kind of thing without hearing of your miseries. It's inappropriate to post your crying here. I normally wouldn't want to rub it in that I've had my watch for two weeks now and absolutely love it beyond description. But in this case, I'll make an exception!

Nice rant. Feel better now? Now go play Xbox or whatever it is you do all day.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
I believe an Apple Shoe would have been cooler than a watch. Still waiting on my Shoe phone! I mean, built in pedometer, weight scale, and phone!? That’s revolutionary!

----------

Couldn’t even come up with a top 10 list.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.