The Real iPhone 4 Flaw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marksman, Aug 12, 2010.

1. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

How come nobody is talking about the real iPhone 4 flaw, and that is the position of the speaker.

I am constantly having my finger over the speaker which totally mutes the sound coming out. It didn't matter on my old iPhone because the speaker was so weak it did not matter.

Now that the speaker actually is able to produce some volume I find myself often just muting all the sound with just a pinky covering the speaker. No free case is going to fix this.

I am thinking some kind of free speaker add on kit, or megaphone like device ot prevent this from happening.

I can't reproduce the signal loss, but I can reproduce the sound loss 100% of the time. Lest anyone think this post is a joke, it is not. Literally the biggest problem I have with my iPhone 4 is when I am playing something through the speaker and my finger covers it up.

2. XJ13sd macrumors member

Don't put your finger there. Putting your hand over any speaker will mute it.

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

this has always annoyed me aswell! especially when playing games, i'd have to choose to either be able to play the game easier or not be able to hear anything. why couldn't they have put the speaker on the side?

4. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

The solution to your problem:

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/pics/s/shears.jpg

Is it a flaw of your stove at home that you get burnt when you put your pinky on the hot burner?

Is it a flaw of your car when you press the pedal furthest to the right all the way to the floor, your car goes real fast and you get a ticket from the Po Po?

Seriously....step away from the keyboard.

Steve

5. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Come on man, send it back if your not happy with it.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

How are you holding your iPhone? And I'm being serious. I held it to text, take a call and play a game and my pinky comes no where close to covering up either speaker.

That's all I'm going to say on this subject although I have a few other words in mind. ;)

7. marksman thread starter macrumors 603

marksman

I am entitled to listen to the Angry Birds sound effects without the phone muting them because of where they placed the speaker. It is not like I hold the phone like an alien. I hold it like a normal person who blocks the speaker with their finger when trying to listen to stuff.

This problem makes Pandora 100% useless unless I put it on the desk at listen to it from a distance. I could use earphones, but then I can't hear my 3 babies in the other room if they hurt themselves playing with their little Plastic Presidents they shove into every orifice.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Yet you were so vocal "yelling" at everyone who complained that they were entitled to hold their phone however they wanted without losing reception.

Oh the irony.

9. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I noticed this too. Its annoying but I just move my finger off the spot. Not much else we can do, even the old iphone had this problem for me.

10. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

I would let the 3 babies play with the iPhone, you can play with the plastic Presidents. Everyone will be happier. :)

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apparently, people blaming Toyota think so.

12. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

haha, i just got my iphone and was noticing my sound...thought it was my phone itself. After about 20 seconds of looking i noticed that i did have my finger over the speaker, not the top of it, but around my left index finger's 2nd knuckle...

13. firewood macrumors 604

That's not the Real Flaw!

The Real Flaw is that when I hold my iPhone just like I held all my 35mm cameras, with my fingers firmly wrapped around the left side, or both sides, all my photos come looking like big dark pinkish blobs. Apple put the camera lens right under my finger!!! What kind of stupid design is that??? And no bumper can fix that fatal flaw either.

:eek:

14. MacJones macrumors 6502

15. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I think you're right about the last part, as Apple's lawyers would probably advise against giving away a case that had a couple of low-voltage electrodes surrounding the speaker opening. ;)

In all seriousness, I've done this a time or two myself on my 3G when I was holding the phone funky. Really freaked me out the first time! Thought I'd killed the phone somehow!

You may look for a case like that has an larger cutout for the speaker and dock, instead of just a small sound hole. My Incipio NGP has just such a opening.

16. grahamcracker macrumors newbie

grahamcracker

Who would have thought that COVERING the speaker would mute the sound, moron...

17. docalex007 macrumors newbie

No...

The REAL flaw of the iPhone 4 is that they put the front-facing camera to the LEFT of the ear-speaker which means that when I hold the camera straight out in front of my face, the camera is actually showing more of the left side of my face than the right side... even though I prefer the right side of my face.

How can they get away with such a sucky design flaw?????????? Hate Apple. :mad:

Front-facing cam should be to the right of the ear-speaker. Idiots.

18. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Away from his finger, of course! Where else?! :D

19. marksman thread starter macrumors 603

marksman

I would say but some speakers (maybe even an extra bass kicker), on the top back of the phone. Perhaps just off to the side and down from the camera.

However then the noise is blasting away from you and if you have it on a table it would not work. This engineers really must have a tough job.

I think I would move the Power button or whatever it is called on the top to the right side to be opposite the mute button. Then I would put the speaker on the top across from the headphone jack. Having the headphone jack and speaker on the top would make some sort of symetrical sense. Plus imagine how it would get people to stop thinking one of their bottom speakers is not working.

With a little testing, I don't think I can cover up the top right part through normal usage, so yeah put it there.

20. _Matt macrumors 6502

The real flaw of the iPhone 4 is that it is not helping me get laid, contrary to the other thread on this forum.

I see what you mean but can't you just, say, move your fingers when you notice you're covering the speaker...it's not a MacBook Pro or something.

And Angry Birds is more fun without the sound effects.

21. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

The only flaw with the iphone 4 is its large anal retentive customer base that looks for any little thing to complain about.

true story :p

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You, like many other people in this thread, totally missed the blatant sarcasm. But I quoted you cause you'd think you would have gotten it since you remember him yelling at everyone who was complaining about being entitled to hold their phone however they want so therefore you should be able to see the satire in his post.

The irony indeed ;).

23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

so very true

24. wakeboardandy macrumors newbie

on the 3G I used to keep covering the speaker but now they have moved the speaker up top. (When holding landscape). I no longer cover it..

So I think it is heaps better on the iPhone 4.