The Real Problem with the iPhone 4 is Yet To Be Addressed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Other phones have an outer case.... not the antenna as the case.... therefore, obviously won't be as sensitive.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I don't care about signal attenuation as long as my call is clear and not dropped.

4. solarein macrumors regular

That's a little like saying "I don't care about toxins in my food as long as I'm not poisoned."

One thing has a lot to do with the other.

5. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

kuaiyouming thread starter macrumors 6502

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Apple has stated that the reason for their new antenna system is that it provides better reception in areas with weak coverage compared with other smartphones and iPhones. Attenuating the antenna will cause a weaker signal, but most people won't encounter dropped calls as a result of this in real world usage, especially with a case, which MANY people seem to use.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Worst analogy ever. Attenuation of a signal does not result in dropped/degraded calls unless a minimum threshold is reached. Toxins will cause harm until a lethal threshold dose is reached.

8. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

9. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

10. solarein macrumors regular

Sounds like a pretty good analogy to me. There's a safe level of attenuation until it results in degradation. There's a safe level of toxins until it causes harm.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, Apple said the ATTENUATION issue is more noticeable in low signal areas. No breakdown of the DROPPED CALL numbers was given with regards to signal strength.

12. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The reason is that if you are in a location with bad coverage, you might normally get little or no service with a 3GS for instance. The iPhone 4 improves in this by improving signal of everyone, redardless of how strong your reception is in that area (so they improve reception for people in good AND bad coverage areas, rather than having a less capable antenna to protect only the people in really bad coverage areas who can't avoid the spot)----that is if you don't cover the weak-spot. It's a trade-off, and I'm sure Apple knew it wouldn't be a problem for many in real usage, though the issue has been brought to light by the media so everyone is now aware of it and attempted to replicate it themselves by covering the slit and watching their bars drop. And it's even LESS of an issue, because most people use cases anyway.

13. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

14. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

15. doboy macrumors 68000

You want to make iPhone 4 better than keep complaining to Apple or write to SJ. You want Android to succeed? Then keep buying their new phones every two weeks.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No...
    There is a range of normal serum potassium. One can survive on lower levels of potassium just fine, but if too low and other circumstances exist cardiac conduction degrades and you get arrhythmias and death. ATTENUATION

Toxins, by definition, are causing harm. An organism exposed to a toxin may have cellular damage. When enough damage is done, illness occurs. More damage, death.

As long as a cellular signal is above a certain threshold, the user should not experience call drop/degradation. And it's all about call quality and dropped calls.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

They never advertised a "cellular signal detector", they advertised a phone. So get off the attenuation issue and provide some real world data about call quality or dropped call and then you may have a point.

18. solarein macrumors regular

Please look up the word "attenuation" in a dictionary.

19. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

It's not a wrong design decision. MOST people will experience better reception with this antenna, because most people aren't going to cover the weak spot in real usage, or be in a good reception area that mitigates the ones who DO cover the spot. For the people in bad reception areas, they will experience better strength, though the people that can't avoid the spot AND are in a bad reception will confront issues. And again, most people use cases or won't cover the spot in real usage, so it's not such a widespread issue as is perceived.

20. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am well aware the definitions. I labelled my example as a better analogy of the attenuation issue. Progressive hypokalemia is not attenuation. Nice debate diverting tactic though. :rolleyes:

22. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010

23. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Self Absorbed: adjective; Example - people who are perceptive enough, wise enough, yes, only they were listening with such intense focus to hear what others, the lowly and ordinary dullards, missed. Yes, indeed, they are so wise, as well as caring, that they devote their lives, not as some geniuses do, getting advanced degrees then working for Apple, rather they sacrifice their lives in order to help people on Internet forums pierce through the static to see the truth and understand what is truly important. I salute you!

24. solarein macrumors regular

You clearly don't know what attenuation means. You think low attenuation is bad and high attenuation is good.

You are also the one who decided to pick on my analogy in the first place, yet you accuse me of diverting the debate.

25. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Apple's "hard data" shows that iPhone 4 users drop less than one more call per 100 than 3GS users. So no, I'm not just talking out of my ass.

EDIT: And 80% of 3GS users walked out of the store with cases when they were readily available, as opposed to the limited amount of them available during the iPhone 4's launch. That's a lot of people using cases. But of course, now everyone wants to state that they don't and won't ever use a case, because Apple is recommending a behavior that they already do.