The reason Verizon will not sell iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigchief, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

its interesting how different verizon is from vodafone. vodafone has no problem selling wm, s60, blackberry and soon android phones yet verizon is so intent on ruining all their phones with carrier branding.

2. verks macrumors member

verks

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Besides the fact that the iPhone is currently is a GSM phone while Verizon runs a CDMA network...

But, yes, Verizon's greed does prevent it from accepting differentiation and giving up control to the handset maker which is what Apple needed and wanted for the iPhone.

4. ViPa macrumors 6502a

im glad apple went with AT&T..its so much better IMO

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It doesn't work that way anymore. :rolleyes:

6. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Yes. Yes. But! Here's where I'll side with Verizon:
    The iPhone is more of the iLOOK AT ALL THE COOL S**T I HAVE!
    Seriously.
    Verizon has been much more business orientated, and it hopes to stay that way. I started on Verizon, and still remain on Verizon. Their coverage beats all others where I live. And that's what matters to ME, the end-user.

Yeah, I have an iPod Touch. AWESOME! It's all about opinion. It's why the Storm, the Dare, HTC and other phones are STILL selling. Sure not at an orgasmic rate as that of the iPhone, but they're still selling.

By Verizon attempting to build their own software side, their ensuring that c**p doesn't seep into it's "widgets" *cough* half of the App Store *cough*. Here's the ONE thing that I wish my Dare had that the iPhone has: Safari.

And unifying all their OS's was a good idea. It lowers the learning curve when getting a new phone, and it ensures a uniform experience. However, I will say that this article is lying, in that Verizon has allowed many current phones to run their own OS's. I believe this article was referring to the phones that the carriers give out for close to free.

</rebuttle>

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Sounds like a very smart move, if you actually read what's happening.

It's all about supporting multiple OS's with a common simple app platform.

Verizon Wireless doesn't care who emerges from the coming mobile operating system wars because no matter who wins, Verizon will make sure its software runs on top of that operating system

All that means is that they're building a layer on top of various OS's, so that they no longer have to care which one wins.

From the Joint Innovation Labs news release:

The JIL will focus on the rapidly growing areas of mobile internet services,
    such as mobile widgets*. Initially, the JIL plans to develop a platform for
    mobile widgets to encourage the development of innovative new services that can
    leverage mobile operators' unique capabilities.

Cool. The JIL will develop a cross-OS widget platform. Sound great to me.

This move is expected to enable different widgets and applications to run
    seamlessly on different handset platforms and operating systems across different
    mobile operators, while safeguarding customer security, data privacy and billing
    systems.

How could anyone not want that?

So whether you're on an iPhone, Pre, WM, Symbian, RIM or whatever phone is supported, you can download and run standard widgets that the carriers will offer.

Okay, maybe not iPhone, since Apple says they won't allow any apps that interpret code.

8. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, if your going to wait for Verizon to sell iphones before you buy one, your going to wait a loooooong time.

9. SWC macrumors 6502

Well verizon has committed to also allowing any device run on their network as long as its compatible with their network technology. So once they start LTE roll out this year/early next you will theoretically be able to unlock your phone and use it with verizon. Just because they don't sell it doesn't mean you can't use it.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Verizon will never have the iPhone until:

1. They move completely from CDMA to LTE.
    2. They stop their restrictions on software.
    3. They remove their requirements to show their logo at startup and at all times on every screen, regardless of content.

4. The C.E.O. comes crawling back on his knees to 1 Infinite Loop and begs Apple to allow the iPhone on their network and that he was wrong to turn them away in 2006.

They're moving DATA to LTE, not voice. The iPhone doesn't even USE LTE yet. When it does, you won't be able to make calls with it on a Verizon network.

11. bigchief thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently you didn't read the article.

12. nicheco macrumors member

verizon is just sticking to their business plan. it's been working for them so far, why would then change it? as geeks we have our differences, my buddy works at verizon at customer service, and actually tells people to go buy the iphone, but verizon is a business, and business doesn't care about us or anyone else. they want money, power, and control, and verizon thinks this is the best plan of attack. apple wants the same thing. that's probably a huge reason they didn't work out a deal with verizon that wants to "help" them with their os.

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

icant stand how verizon insists on their os on phones. completely ridiculous.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Why are you comparing the iPhone to dumbphones? Verizon does use a common UI on the latter, so customers can switch easily.

Verizon doesn't put their own OS on smartphones.

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No, but they would insist on adding their store (and other things) to the iPhone. AT&T didn't insist with Apple, which is why you don't see the usual AT&T store that's commonplace.
    If Verizon insists on adding their stupid stuff, they may never reach an agreement with Apple (after the exclusive contract ends). Not that I care, but Verizon fans obviously would.

17. redman042 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't care if Verizon stuck an icon or two on the Springboard. I don't believe for a second that they'd want to go change the whole system given how the iPhone is selling. But the restrictions Verizon likes to place on their phones do worry me. They are loosening up on the GPS restrictions, finally, but are still insisting that Wifi be disabled on Blackberries. I would be really unhappy with an iPhone that has no Wifi, regardless of the quality of the network.

I maintain my position that an iPhone is not on Verizon yet purely because of money. AT&T offered a sweet deal to Apple to keep it exclusive, then renewed that deal to extend the time. What happens from here on out depends entirely on what deals are cut. Verizon would gladly make an exception to their restrictive policies for the iPhone, given how many subscribers it would bring, if they could get it for terms that were acceptable to them. But Apple may ask too much.

We'll see...

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Because the industry has changed, maybe?

19. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Verizon sucks... Only had one encounter with them with the old Razr and it wasn't very pleasant.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

why are we beating an old horse with these sort of threads.

Sorry to be blunt, but having iPhone on Verizon threads daily gets to your nerves, specially after its been discussed to death that Verizon's own corporate rules will keep the iPhone away from them for more tan 15 years.

Also, the fact that AT&T won't let go to their Ace of Hearts that seemingly.

21. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

waittt aren't the BB operating system and Windows Mobile operating system not Verizon's operating system? :confused: some one clear this up for me.

22. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

So, the same thing that appears at the top left corner of every 1st party iPhone app? And, uh... the logo at start up.... mm... I have yet to meet one person who s**ts on themselves in rage at seeing that....

And you know what, NOT having the iPhone on every network is good, as it'll promote promotion. Remember that "RAZR" that everyone had to have a while back? Fat load that did for competition. And you know what, I am having a prediction that the iPhone will be RAZR of our particular segment of time.

P.S. What F**ken logo where you talking about?
    [​IMG]

23. milani macrumors 68000

milani

^ I forgot how bad WAP bowsers are, thanks for the reminder. :D

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple.

I don't want it on Verizon, either. But it won't be the "RAZR" of this time. It's an Apple product. The iPhone will become what the iPod is. And promotion will still be promoted, if those are the words for which you were looking.