The resell value of Apple Watch Edition

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by liam.berlin, Sep 20, 2015.

1. liam.berlin macrumors regular

liam.berlin

Well, it' bad, it's terrible. Why? I have seen Editions go on eBay for 1500€, less.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

All around there is going to be shock when people go to sell their watches. It is not an iPhone or an iPad. The market is much more niche. I think you will be lucky to get half from your sport or watch after the next few months.

3. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

Yes I agree with what you say but this is something that is real gold and limited selling at less than 10% the value! Oh my God I am so tempted...

4. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

LOL! That is a lot of stolen watches. There are many though that are with packaging and receipts.

I heard that many of the phones used for drop tests, etc. are stolen.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Oh, I thought you saw just one item.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think the edition is just so hard to sell. If you have $10K+ to spend on a watch, are you really considering buying one second hand to save $1500? Yes it is a watch, but it will be a paperweight in a few years b.c it is technology. I cannot see people wearing it more than 5 years... especially when a new model is out. It is not a rolex.

7. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

damn i would buy an edition for the price of a space grey stainless steel

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You mean gold-plated AW? I'm not seeing genuine Editions on ebay going for 1500 or less.

9. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

I am so tempted but cannot help to be suspicious.

10. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

Yes I have seen the gold-plating rubbish being very carefully worded. 1500 for the genuine article, wow that is tempting!

11. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

And I have to say I would love an empty box to use as a display case / charging, docking station for my stainless steel.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Please provide a link. All I'm seeing around the 1500 price point are gold-plated AW.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Just checked eBay. They're all gold plated at that price (and way overpriced, in my opinion)

Edit: See Jay is thinking along the same lines, i.e., too good to be true!

14. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

Thank you for helping me get to the bottom of this, well, scam. I have not intact found one genuine Edition on eBay, no matter what price. I will keep looking and share links if I find them...

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How could they be scam when they clearly say gold-plated? There's in fact a market for gold-plated AW, and there are companies where you can send your current SS Watch to get it gold-plated.

16. liam.berlin thread starter macrumors regular

liam.berlin

For some of the listings you have to read very carefully before you see that it is gold plated. The item title mentions the word Edition but not plated.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, those sellers would find themselves screwed anyway with not-as-described disputes. All the listings I've seen on ebay (at least the U.S.) clearly say gold-plated in one form or another, although they may use the word "Edition-style" or something to that effect.

18. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Genuine Photo at least. Means nothing. That he reinserted the watch is suspicious after all. 1 day auction for a high price item -> suspicious? Seller does not have a selling history -> suspicious. Maybe scam.

Most certainly a bad scam for him. He offers (offered) PayPal.
    I had a similar tempting opportunity once with an iPhone. And in the end it was scam. I was lucky that the seller (100+, 100%) offered PayPal for the phone I ordered. I never received it as you can imagine. At least I got my money back. The other buyers may had less luck because they bought without PayPal.

19. Jvjlite macrumors regular

Jvjlite

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

For all we know, it could be some rich dude who's happy to unload it not caring about the price. Edition buyers are likely rich enough to afford multiple Edition units. However, they'll most certainly have the worst resale value due to them becoming obsolete in a few short years (unlike a $10,000 Rolex that will last a lifetime).

21. the future macrumors 65816

Scam. Picture of the watch (that I btw remember seeing on the internet before, so not genuine) is yellow gold with black sports band, the box shown is for a rose gold with white sport band.

22. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic