iPad mini The Retina iPad Mini hasn't even been out for 24 hours

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frankied22, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

and theres already threads bitching about problems with the screen. Is this just status quo now for every device? Out of all the years I have purchased Apple products, I have never had any screen issues on any of the iPads, iPhones, and Macbooks I've bought. Either I am extremely lucky or I am just not as sensitive/nit-picky when it comes to the display.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You've been here long enough. It's a Macrumors phenomenon. Do not confuse it with reality. :p

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

You are dealing with a site full of people overspending on luxury items and being wrought with buyer's remorse immediately after. They are looking for any reason to doubt their purchase, so tiny variations in the screen quality are becoming the lightning rod.

I'm proud to be part of this group.

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

5. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

True. I should know by now. It just seems it's getting worse with each product release.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Well you've certainly proved your ability to complain. So it may not be that you are not as nit-picky, you just seem to be more forgiving of flaws in technology than you are with flaws in people.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

People have high expectations for Apple products that they spend their hard-earned money on.

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It isn't going to matter. Many people preferred the Mini over the 3rd and 4th gen with retina, the rMini is more portable and weighs less, it is $100 cheaper than the Air.

Should I go on?? :D

9. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

To be honest, it's not even that. It's that the QC on these retina displays is not good. Chalk that up perhaps to the immaturity of the technology itself. But I do not recall any of these issues for the non retina devices.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Updated that for you... :D

11. syd430, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013

syd430 Guest

Or, you know, maybe there's a legitimate issue with the Mini's screen where it is a bit washed out compared to other Retina devices and people were expecting something more on par with the Air?

What do you want us to do? Only create threads praising Apple 24/7?

If the colour gamut really is as bad as the original Mini, did you really think no one was going to post about it?

12. cababah macrumors 68000

Mo' tech, mo' problems

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

What amazes me is that I DON'T notice anything after reading posts here

This perhaps is a miracle, considering the the proliferation of mass hysteria.

14. richard371 macrumors 68000

Maybe thats why Apple slipped it under the radar. OOOPS the mini screen isn't on par with the air but they won't notice. Well maybe only the experts and perfectionists will.

15. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yes that it! They, as we speak are sneaking around winking at each other, keeping their fingers crossed ;););)

16. WilliamBateman, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

WilliamBateman macrumors regular

I already returned my ipad air due to the yellow tint and my mini is worse. It's not my imagination either. This site is much brighter and whiter on my HTC One. Sorry for expecting quality from a solid company while paying a premium price for their products.

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The yellow screen is readily apparent on most of the new iPads in stores. Saw it on both ipad minis, and on 3/4 ipad airs. Only one air looked like a good screen.

I haven't seen these problems until the ipad 3/4. But that was pre retina.

18. moxxey macrumors regular

iPhones and iPads are not 'luxury items'. Any products bought by masses, isn't luxury. Luxury by definition implies a product which is out of the reach of most people.

Have you ever walked down the average street? Everyone has an iPhone and iPad. Even young kids.

19. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Different types of screens have different hues of colour. You can't expect to see the same colours on different types of screens.

20. lshirase macrumors regular

The iPad is in fact, out of the reach for most people.

21. tkmcguire1, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

Actually Apple products are considered a luxury brand-

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/te...ple-outgrow-its-reputation-as-a-luxury-brand/

22. Sir Ruben, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

The problem with a lot of the people who post on here is that they demand perfection and justify it by saying they are paying a premium. Sadly 'perfect' doesn't exist and even the exact same devices will vary from one to another. That's why you see people on here returning a product time and time again and still not being satisfied, while others get just the one and say "mines fine!"

Now I'm a pretty OCD person myself and in the past if I had a slightly yellow screen rather than a white one it would drive me insane. However over time I've changed and these variations don't bother me anymore. They are not faults, they are variations. Now if a button didn't work or there was a big scratch, then THAT is a fault.

So rather than scouring threads on here looking for 'variations' that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed, I just laugh and back out of the thread rather than wasting time obsessing.

At the end of the day, steer clear of those threads for your own sanity. USE your product and enjoy it. If there is something GLARINGLY wrong with it, have it replaced. However, constantly striving for the perfect product will leave you frustrated, angry, and you will have wasted a lot of time and energy you could have spent on your loved ones or just enjoying life.

Nothing is perfect. Bought a new car? Look hard enough and you WILL find SOMETHING wrong somewhere.

Its not worth it, stress can be a killer, kick back with a glass of wine (or drink of your choice) and actually USE your iPad/iPhone rather than giving it a full examination or measuring battery life lol. ;)

23. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I guess our definitions of "everyone" are pretty different.

It's a luxury item because it is completely unnecessary. Might be time for you to crack open a dictionary.

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

The problem is that you can't use the analogy of a new car or new house when referring to the screen tint issues.

If you bought a ferrari and the paint on one side was a different tone to that on the other, you damn well 100% would complain. Or if the wheels on one side were different to the other side.

The iPad is all about screen, and if the screen isn't damn close to perfect, then I see every right to complain.

Same can be said for monitors .... If I paid £850 for an Apple Thunderbolt display, I'd expect it to be 100% perfect. If I didn't want to expect that, I'd get a £300 screen.

25. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I think in this context he means that they're not a necessity good. In which case he is correct.

Edit: damn, should've scrolled down before posting :p