The return deadline is approaching and I'm confused

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sifinity, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

So on the 20th , i got my iPhone 6 64gb , and I'm happy with it ,but I'm still questioning if i bought the right device or should i have gotten the 6+ ,I'm a college student i have to walk around a lot and i got the gym quite often , but idk something about that giant screen intrigues me , i guess i want to be a part of the people that are different(which on the forums theres a lot of people with 6+, but outside a lot more have 6's then 6+ )or not going with the norm. IDK , so i have an iPad 3rd gen , but i didn't really use it , so i gave it to my dad , and he utilizes it more , i do have a 15" retina and i use it for most my movies and etc. So as a confused college student , what would you guys recommend ? should i stick with my 64gb 6 or get a 16gb 6+ , or somehow dish-out/find $100 (which is like a months worth of weekend entertainment for me in college ) an get a 64gb 6+, which my parents won't be too happy about since they think i already spent a lot getting the 64gb 6 then the base

2. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Ask yourself some questions.

Do you watch a lot of video content?
    Is one handed operation not important? Think about how you normally use your phone.
    Do you game on it?
    Where do you typically store your phone when not in use? Pockets? Backpack? Would the bulkiness bother you?
    What is your typical use cases for the phone? Calls and texts? Utility apps?

So it comes down to how you answer these and other questions to see if having the extra real estate would somehow make your user experience better and worth the extra 100 bucks.

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

The best advice I can give you is to go to an Apple Store and play with the plus for a good while. That should help your decision. Good luck.

4. Jukoer3426 macrumors member

If I were you, I'd probably go for the 6.. It's a great screen size, I think the sweet spot for potability and screen real estate especially if you're going to be working out and all that...But the 5.5 is huge, I have average size hands and I fumble with it a bit, but I think that's something I can get used to as with everyone else says. Otherwise essentially the same exact phone, just different sizes.

5. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Agree 100% with this. Couple recent threads to help as well. Using the 6+ in store really changed my mind, which is why I returned my 6 for the plus.

Good luck.

6. Tzuten macrumors 6502

And the store had available 6+'s in stock when you returned your 6? Consider yourself lucky.

7. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

I think 16GB will not be enough storage. I think you need at least 64GB in whatever phone you decide on.

8. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Yes they did and yes I consider myself VERY lucky. I just kept an eye on the stock via Apple.com and when it showed stock I went right to the store. Had to wait in line, but I got one.

9. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I had both, kept the 6+, returned the 6. Something about the plus I like so much more than the 6.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd advise this as well. Wear a pair of pants that you would normally use to test the pocket size, etc. Then just play with the Plus for awhile.

:apple:

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

None of these needs really beg the reason to buy a 6 Plus. People can just buy it because they like the bigger screen, better battery life, enhanced landscape modes and Optical Image Stabilization.

It most certainly can be used with one-handed operation. That's why Apple implemented the double tap home button feature that pulls the screen downward to access the top icons. It's not thee ideal situation but it works well nonetheless.

OP: I don't know where you're going to find an iPhone 6 Plus of your choice of storage and carrier. They are still in extreme short supplies and sold out in most places. Unless you know where you can get one now you will need to return your iPhone 6 (small version) and get a refund for now.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Determining how you most use your phone will really help you decide.

Good advice.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You said you go to the gym a lot--do you use your iPhone to listen to music while you work out? If so, I think a large iPhone would be unwieldy and would slip out of gym shorts fairly easily. I know my relatively tiny iPhone 5 does.

I guess you could strap it to your arm or something--but the hugeness might make that awkward as well.

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Why not just return the one you have and get the 6 Plus. You then have another 14 days to mess with it and if you don't like it you can always go back.

15. Sifinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Sifinity

meh , once in a while ill watch a video on it , one handed operation is questionable don't know , don't really game on it , i use to have a bunch but i deleted them all , now days i play nothing on my phone , i typically store it in my pockets , idk if the bulkiness would bother me , i usually use my phone to text and check email or surf the web for questions, while from campus to my dorm or etc.Its mostly used for music then the next most used part of my phone is the google maps , cause i don't have a gps in my car so google maps is :D , but besides that yea i mostly use my phone while I'm walking or replying to a text or in need for a quick answer

----------

i do , it actually fell out of my pockets like a good 5-7 times yesterday at the gym -.- , but honestly they both are going to fall out so might as well find a different solution

----------

i would , but getting a 6+ will take 3-4 weeks , actually a 16gb 6+ might not be as hard to find as a 64gb

----------

i have done it , like 4 times actually lol , i went to the apple store 4 times this week - well its literally across the street from campus so its only 5 min away , but besides that i still can't decide lol

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Then the 6 sounds like the right one for you. The screen is big enough for what you use it for. Even me with my middle aged eyes could use it as a GPS in my car. The Plus just makes visibility easier for me with progressive lens glasses but that is something most college aged people don't need to worry about. The Plus IS big. Makes it a pleasure to use but a pain to run around with.

17. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

How funny is this, another thread about deciding although I'm in the same but opposite boat. I currently have a thread running as well. I'm debating on returning my 6+ for a 6. I too got my phone on the 20th. My opinion on the 6+ to help you out is I truly do love the 6+, especially the battery life, my favorite feature by far. The screen quality and size as well as the battery are a huge improvement over my old iPhone 5. However I'm debating on returning due to the portability of the 6. I did use my phone a lot when I had a 5 and all I could think was "if apple doesn't come out with a bigger screen I'll have to go to android," and they delivered. And now that I have that bigger or biggest iphone that is out I'm not sure about the portability of the thing. But in my opinion if you can deal with a bigger/giant phone then go for the 6+. It will definitely be noticeable if you get the 6+ and might be annoyed with the size sometimes like I am, or you could love it like some others. As I said I really can't say much because I am trying to decide to stick with the 6+ or go with the 6 and the only thing Making me want the 6 is the portability which I'm trying to figure out is as important as my brain is making it seem. Or maybe if battery life and screen size is more important for me. Fitting my 6+ into my pockets are not of an issue AT ALL with dress pants, to jeans, to a few tactical pants I have which have large pockets anyway. The one issue are a few of my gym athletic type pants with the smaller, shallow pockets. Some gym pants, specifically from Nike have decent pockets and fit the 6+ just fine although it's definitely noticeable when lifting weights. So I'm answering my own dilemma, maybe the portability isn't all that bad. I should just stick with the 6+. If you have a similar lifestyle I'd say definitely go with the 6+.

18. Sifinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Sifinity

its funny how i use to ask for apple to give more options , now theres more options and more questions of if i made the right choice or not :confused:

19. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You can also check istocknow.com and get notification when it shows up.

Personally, if you like the 6 better, I would just stick with it. Especially when you use the gym.

20. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

If it were me, I would keep the 6. The 6 Plus is huge, and you might be tempted to set it down rather than keeping it in your pants or in a pocket, and then it'll be gone. The 6 is a good size and small enough to keep close to yourself, less chance of theft, loss or breakage.

21. Sifinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Sifinity

i see your point , especially in college where theft is relatively common to happen

22. Jukoer3426 macrumors member

I'd keep the 6, walking around with a 6 plus is advertising especially around college campus. :)

23. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

We need to get you two crazy kids together and you can just swap for a few days. live with both for a while and I am sure you can decide.

24. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Haha I was thinking the same when I saw this thread. Luckily for me my sister has the 6 that I have played with a few times and I still can't decide! Decisions, decisions!

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

IMHO I think if you are really on the fence, you should keep the 6 plus. That way you end up with more; more battery, more screen and more camera (the camera part is a streatch but I was on a roll). If you end up not liking it most likely it will also sell for more...