Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Even if s4 still would have higher benchmark test results it would suck still cause of lagging with those 4-8 cores, 2gb ram or more and etc

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I don't think anyone was really expecting the internals to suck on the 5s. At least not as far as I've read. It's other stuff that has people disappointed.

Although it does make me laugh to see it crush a top-of-the-line android phone. But hey, in 2 months the s5 will be out so they can upgrade their numbers again.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So basically the iPhone 5S runs in Beast Mode.

Can we please talk about all the slams at Apple for "not innovating" when the iPhone 5 and 5C win most of those against the GS4? Sounds like a lot of noobs drank the phone-bumping Kool-Aid.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Android device is release 6 months after iPhone device and it "smashes Apple"...

iPhone is released six months after latest Android devices and it "smashes Android"...

Ping....

Pong....

Realistically the only "fair" comparison is between the iPhone 5S and Moto X (which the 5S also smashes), but beast mode isn't what Moto/Google was going for with that phone. Not trying to be an apologist, just honest. Never understood these spec wars to be honest. Android is finally running wonderfully and coming out as Google edition on many handsets. iOS7 gave a fresh new look and added a ton of useful features to the brand as well. Both "sides" should be happy with their offering.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Not pleased with the display review. Seems like it's another "non-S model has a better display than S model" situation all over again. :(

In fact, the 5c outperformed the 5s in regards to display...

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Considering the GS4 came out 5 months ago, I would hope the iPhone 5s would be better. Now when the GS5 comes out, it will beat the 5s, and then the 6 will beat the GS5. A never ending cycle in which every 6 months one side can claim "victory" over the other. :rolleyes:

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
They do have the worst hardware specs of any flagship. However optimization lessens the gap.

That's only for CPU, GPU wise, iPhones have always been better. The 4S had the best GPU on a mobile device for almost 1.5 years. I'm pretty sure no other android will have a PowerVR "Rogue" graphic chip anytime soon.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Not pleased with the display review. Seems like it's another "non-S model has a better display than S model" situation all over again. :(

Display reviews? What are you talking about? It's the same display on the 5 and the 5c and the 5s...

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Display reviews? What are you talking about? It's the same display on the 5 and the 5c and the 5s...

Take a look at the display comparisons at the review, the 5S scored worse a couple of times than the 5 or 5C.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012

Displays vary by every device produced, just by a barely noticeable margin. There is no such thing as a 100% replicas and quality on every single display produced. This not just applies to displays, but generally any electronic parts.

You will hardly notice MUCH difference, or even any. But yet under scrutiny of display tests these little differences may make a huge difference ON Paper.
So what do you think is more logical: worrying over a few lost numbers on paper (benchmarks) , or actually noticing almost no difference in reality?

Thats also a huge problem with benchmarks nowadays.

I find the trends about phone performances in phones increasingly worrying. Why are people actually concerned over 'how many cores','whats the clock speed' their phone has? I find it mind boggling everytime an Android user boasts about his 'Quad Core, 2.2Ghz' phone when in reality in real world performance it does not make much of a difference to real usage.
Manufacturers should focus on making their chips more power efficient. I think that there isn't really any real benefit in making phones more powerful AT THIS TIME. Everything is just blazing fast now. The iPhone 5S is basically future proofed. I can't wait to see next year where another new Android device is released with Qualcomm Snapdragon 1000 or something with an 'Octa Core 3Ghz' when apps only open 0.5 seconds faster.

Really, manufacturers (apple, samsung, qualcomm, htc etc), its time to move to power efficiency. Especially android manufacturers. Stop deceiving consumers with 'Cores' and 'Ghz' and start thinking the way Apple is heading now: Balancing performance WITH power efficiency. Not only that, I must also emphasize software plays a huge part too. And this is why I think Apple is heading on the right track - Software, hardware all plays well together.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Displays vary by every device produced, just by a barely noticeable margin. There is no such thing as a 100% replicas and quality on every single display produced. This not just applies to displays, but generally any electronic parts.

You will hardly notice MUCH difference, or even any. But yet under scrutiny of display tests these little differences may make a huge difference ON Paper.
So what do you think is more logical: worrying over a few lost numbers on paper (benchmarks) , or actually noticing almost no difference in reality?

Thats also a huge problem with benchmarks nowadays.

I find the trends about phone performances in phones increasingly worrying. Why are people actually concerned over 'how many cores','whats the clock speed' their phone has? I find it mind boggling everytime an Android user boasts about his 'Quad Core, 2.2Ghz' phone when in reality in real world performance it does not make much of a difference to real usage.
Manufacturers should focus on making their chips more power efficient. I think that there isn't really any real benefit in making phones more powerful AT THIS TIME. Everything is just blazing fast now. The iPhone 5S is basically future proofed. I can't wait to see next year where another new Android device is released with Qualcomm Snapdragon 1000 or something with an 'Octa Core 3Ghz' when apps only open 0.5 seconds faster.

Really, manufacturers (apple, samsung, qualcomm, htc etc), its time to move to power efficiency. Especially android manufacturers. Stop deceiving consumers with 'Cores' and 'Ghz' and start thinking the way Apple is heading now: Balancing performance WITH power efficiency.

The display benchmark results were hardly "barely noticeable." The reviewer mentions that the 5c display was BRIGHTER than the 5s display, although the 5s display had deeper blacks.

And then you go on about power efficiency... I was talking purely about the display! :confused:

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
The display benchmark results were hardly "barely noticeable." The reviewer mentions that the 5c display was BRIGHTER than the 5s display, although the 5s display had deeper blacks.

And then you go on about power efficiency... I was talking purely about the display! :confused:

Oops, I was too carried away. But I am addressing the OP's topic, right? If not, please do remind me.

what i mean is yes on paper there is perhaps a noticeable gap on paper during display tests, but you will hardly notice a huge difference in reality.
I believe the reason for the difference is perhaps due to different display manufacturers. Although display manufacturers hasn't been confirmed by news sources yet (as far as i know), but I believe Apple has a number of display manufacturers which it sources its displays from. This further increases the 'performance' gap of different displays. But again, this will not significantly impact real world performance .

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Android device is release 6 months after iPhone device and it "smashes Apple"...

iPhone is released six months after latest Android devices and it "smashes Android"...

Ping....

Pong....

Realistically the only "fair" comparison is between the iPhone 5S and Moto X (which the 5S also smashes), but beast mode isn't what Moto/Google was going for with that phone. Not trying to be an apologist, just honest. Never understood these spec wars to be honest. Android is finally running wonderfully and coming out as Google edition on many handsets. iOS7 gave a fresh new look and added a ton of useful features to the brand as well. Both "sides" should be happy with their offering.

I would agree with you had the iPhone 5 and 5c not beaten out the GS4 in half of those benchmarks.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Ping....

Pong....

Was going to say this myself. It happens every year.

Galaxy S3 beats iPhone 4S.
iPhone 5 beats Galaxy S3.
Galaxy S4 beats iPhone 5.
iPhone 5S beats Galaxy S4.

Ad infinitum...

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I have to say i'm not surprised, i owned the S4 having made the mistake to move from an iPhone 4S. i wanted to try it and see what all the "fandroid" fuss was about. I was VERY disappointed hence the reason why i sold it and now waiting for the iPhone 5S to come out. I find that Samsung are all marketing and don't care about the quality of the product, they just pump out phone after phone.
I found the S4 to lag and the quality of apps was appalling. I'm happy to be returning to the iPhone and :apple:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Was going to say this myself. It happens every year.

Galaxy S3 beats iPhone 4S.
iPhone 5 beats Galaxy S3.
Galaxy S4 beats iPhone 5.
iPhone 5S beats Galaxy S4.

Ad infinitum...

Even the L2 G2 with the potent snapdragon 800 gets kicked by the 5S and that phone is a week old.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Even the L2 G2 with the potent snapdragon 800 gets kicked by the 5S and that phone is a week old.

In words of fairness the snapdragon 800 was actually released initially with the Sony Xperia Z Ultra which is announced somewhere late June. And that Snapdragon 800 was available to manufacturers around late 2012 or even early 2013.
But still, its not a good excuse, because those chips have got away with stupidly high clock speeds just to ensure high performance but yet loses to the a7 with a much lower clock speed and 2 cores less. If the A7 were to be clocked up equally as well as adding 2 more cores to it I think the performance will be even more noticeable. But Apple smartly, for sake of power efficiency, remained dual core on the A7 and the clock speed while increasing performance to still best its competitors which I think takes a great feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.