The rMBP 15" is by far the best computer I've ever owned

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slirak, Oct 25, 2012.

1. slirak macrumors newbie

Since most posts on any forum is about issues, I just thought I'd give another perspective.

I soldered my first computer (a Sinclair ZX81) from a kit back in 1981. My first 'Apple' computer was an Apple II clone (a Golden II). I probably bought that in 1983. Since then, I've owned probably at least 30 computers, some assembled by me, some from various more or less well-known manufacturers. Counting the computers I've used extensively at work, we're talking about hundreds (yeah, really!). Both Macs and PC's. Servers, workstations, desktops, laptops, sub notebooks. Mac SE, Mac FX, Mac Classic, Performa's, PowerBook's, Pro's, iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, Air's (2010, 2011, 2012 models).

My current personal computer is an rMBP 2.6 GHz/16 GB RAM/512 GB SSD.

LG screen.

And it's BY FAR the best computer I've ever used. By far. At any point in time, taking into account how they all faired in comparison to the competition at any given time.

Sure, there's a bit of a lag when scrolling some script heavy web sites. But NO other issues. And it's the first computer I've ever used that can handle everything I throw at it and then some. One thing I use it for extensively is recording music, something that's heavy on both CPU, RAM and disk performance. And it doesn't even flinch with projects that had every other computer I've used on its knees.

Yeah, it might not be the ultimate gaming machine. (It's a laptop, for crying out loud! And a Mac.)

But methinks it's pretty bloody amazing.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jonas

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I hope it is the best - newest technology general is better - and you paid 2k for it :)

Glad you enjoy it!

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have the 2.3 256 with the Samsung screen and also have to say the same. Best computer I've ever used in my life.

4. slirak thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe, well, I actually paid 3k for it. In euro... It's that European sales tax you know... :)

But it's not about it being the newest tech. I'm comparing it to how well any computer I've ever used at any given time faired against its competition at its time. And the rMBP whips every other current computer's ass (of the like ten others I currently use regularly at work) in a way that no other computer I've used have ever done. Even compared to desktops. (Gaming/graphics performance disregarded.) I mean, it's even on a par with the current six core Mac Pro when it comes to GeekBench scores.

5. rikscha macrumors 6502a

It is true, you can throw everything at it and it will just do the job.

The GUI lag is nevertheless really disappointing at times. I am using the gestures a lot to navigate around my 8-10 desktops and you can clearly experience the lag. This will surely be fixed as it has nothing to do with the hardware being too slow.

But I agree, best computer I ever used.

6. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

+1 Best computer I have ever owned. Scratch that. Best computer I, or anyone else I know has ever owned.;)

7. alyshehata macrumors member

As an owner of the 15" RMBP, I agree....

The best laptop money can buy

8. applebro macrumors member

Can't say that it's the best computer I've ever owned (built my current desktop with the top of the line parts last year for gaming), but it is the best laptop I've ever owned.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- that's what did it for me. I tried both in the store with Final Cut Pro using the same files- the Mac Pro did not even come close to measuring up. The rMBP kicked it's ass.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This thread is making me too excited to receive my rMBP. It's scheduled to arrive next Thursday, and this next week is going to feel like FOREVER! :p

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're gonna love it.

12. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I just sold my 2009 13" MBP for $700.00 not bad I think. I was going to buy a 13 "MBA for more portability but then I'm thinking I have the new iPad and that works great for traveling. So I think the best combo is an iPhone, iPad and my new 15" rMBP since it will sit on the coffee table 90% of the time and loving it.

13. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I would have to agree. I felt the same way about my 17" MBP but the 15" rMBP really kicked it up a notch, and not just in terms of raw performance but rather the over all experience of using it. I'm constantly amazed and smitten over just how compact and well crafted a machine of this potency can be. And then there's the display which makes me happy in the pants every time I cast my gaze upon it.

I've recently used a thinkpad W530 for work and it's a really nice machine by general notebook standards, but when I compare the overall experience to my rMBP, it's just not fair. The display, the trackpad, the fit and finish, the keyboard (more subjective). The 15" rMBP is really in a league of its own.

14. tomiwah macrumors newbie

The jury is still out for me. I am on my third rMBP and recently had the screen (a growing number of stuck pixels) and the logic board (integrated GPU problems) replaced on this one. It's been one week since repair and so far so good. If it continues to run problem free, it will be the best laptop I have ever used. If not, its power, form factor, screen, headache, etc. will not make up for the lack of reliability.

15. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Same here.

As a recently-burned iPad 3 owner, I'm just praying they don't refresh it later this year with a faster GPU.

That said, I've read that the GPU on this one can be safely over-clocked quite a lot (in Windows for gaming), and that the Mac scrolling issues can likely be resolved with improved drivers or even on the software side (e.g. pre-rendering in WebKit).

I'm coming from a 2.6Ghz C2D BlackBook (2008), so I'm sure I won't even notice it anyway.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same here think Mac Pro performance you can take anywhere with you. I have owned Mac portables for a long time and the rMBP is by far the one that really does make the "step change" performance, display, portability, audio it`s all there...

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was kind of upset with the iPad 4 announcement too, but oh well.

On the CPU side, Intel doesn't really have anything to put into mobile devices that's a big improvement until next summer-ish, which is the Haswell update. Even then though, Haswell is aimed toward integrated GPU upgrades and battery efficiency. CPU yield won't be that big IMO.

The GPU in the 15" rMBP is already overclocked from what I've read from other threads, and people have pushed it further so it's a really good performer for a "mid-range" chip. Right now anything more powerful would use more battery.

The scrolling issues and "lag" will be fixed over time with software and EFI updates, and once drivers catch up to really support the resolution, we'll be fine.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2.6 BlackBook? The highest the processors went on those was 2.4.

19. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Sorry, 2.4.

Gosh, is it really only 2.4? This new MBP can't come soon enough!

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The reason I mentioned it is because I have one of those myself. ;)

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Fixed that for you.

----------

That config is $3k US as well.

----------
    It will be refreshed, who knows when, but why does that matter? Who cares if a newer model comes out every month? Are you going to keep holding off infinitely?

Be happy with your purchase and don't keep worrying about every update that comes out. You did what you felt was best with the information you had at the time and Apple did what they felt was best for their business. Neither of you is wrong for either decision.

----------

Ditto, mine is scheduled for Oct 31 - Nov 2. It's my first Mac and I'm feeling a buit guilty for a) spending so much money and b) going to the dark side (I'm a dyed in the wool Windows Admin)

I'm planning a relo to NYC, so I'm choosing the rMBP as my primary computing device and selling off my Windows desktop and laptops. Of course I have my copy of Windows 8 on the way to load up on my rMBP when it arrives next week. ;)

22. slirak thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you using 10.8.x? Have you tried resetting SMC? PRAM?

I haven't experienced any lag outside of some notorious web sites, like Facebook. Certainly not in the GUI of OS X.

23. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Well, I'm buying it because I need a faster machine right now. Like I said my current Mac is from 2008, so I'd like to get that sort of life from this one if I have to.

I'm a little concerned about it, though: I'm not much of a gamer, but sometimes there are games that catch my attention that I'd like to play; like Bioshock way back when. My blackbook's Intel X3100 means I still haven't played Bioshock. I'd hate to be in a similar situation with this machine and a great new game next year or the year after. Reports of scrolling lag in websites are a little concerning, too - though the machine starts with 8GB of RAM, so I'm sure WebKit could cache an image or something to make things smoother.

There's also the display IR issue. There are lots of scare stories on YouTube, but I'll have to wait to see how bad it really is on my specific machine. I studied LCD technologies in uni, so I have some degree of understanding about why these problems arise, and it could indeed be related to heat degradation of parts - meaning that the problem could get worse with time and use. It all makes you question if this model has a few too many compromises.

Well see, though. On the other hand, it's leaps and bounds ahead of what I have right now. Display IR issue varies from batch to batch.

24. slirak thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but the exchange rate for 1 Euro is like 20 - 30% more than for 1 dollar (depending on your country's specific exchange rates).

But since most (all?) Euro countries, as well as some other European countries, have a sales tax of 20 - 30%, well, that's why an american product worth 1 dollar usually costs about 1 Euro in Europe.

Might seem unfair to us Europeans. But as some American guy on some forum put it - "I'd happily change with you, because you get free welfare included with your currency"... ;)

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

But this will almost always be the case. It's just the nature of technology. While your other concerns are valid (with any computer purchase) worrying about playing next year's game is useless.

----------

So are you trying to convert from $3k euros to US $ in your first post where you said $2k?