"The Rolex is definitely going in the trash" - Elders react to Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Speechless, May 15, 2015.

1. Speechless, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015

Speechless macrumors 6502a

2. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The Elders say mostly positive things, and they all want it. Price is an issue for many, but they still want it.

I love some of the comments like 'Apple needs to clarify that the watch needs an iPhone to pair with'. It's just a given to me, but many people don't know this.

3. jds4300 macrumors member

Apple Watch and Rolex should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence. NEVER! There is no comparison whatsoever between the two.

4. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

These are the same people who buy everything "as seen on TV".

"Look, that kitchen knife can cut through wood but still slice a tomato with ease. I need two!"

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I'd say nobody wanted it when they found out they needed an iPhone. They never got the guys reaction who wanted to throw his Rolex in the trash either when he found out.

In the end they unanimously said the watch was redundant, and over kill and over priced for what it was.

I can't imagine anyone not liking the Watch and not wanting one, all things being equal. But whether anyone is willing to spend $350+ for something that is so dependent on the iPhone is another question. As the one guy said, it's nothing but an expensive Bluetooth device for the phone.

Then again, this is kind of bait and switch, as they didn't focus on any of the technologies that truly do make the Watch useful without the iPhone, like Pay on your wrist, and being able to start your car and unlock your hotel room and house, and all the future potential to make your life easier.

I was amused by the guy who wants to skype on his watch, and was sure there will a camera on the next generation model. That's everybody's reaction. Haha.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

That was way better than I thought it would be. They don't actually react all that differently from the younger people on this forum. A lot of their observations and reactions have been stated here already by people young enough to be their children and grandchildren. And some of them don't seem that "elder".

When I think of an elder's reaction I can't help but remember my 99 year old grandmother admiring my iPhone several years ago. Now she was an elder! She used to tell me about riding in rumble seats!

7. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I think they have to be mentioned together... They are competing for the same wrist space, which makes them inexorably collision bound!

8. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Sure there is.

Rolex: Gets worn on the wrist.
    Apple Watch: Gets worn on the wrist.

Rolex: Tells the time.
    Apple Watch: Tells the time.

Rolex: Does not receive notifications.
    Apple Watch: Does receive notifications.

Those are examples of comparisons.

9. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

um gotta say everyone is glossing over how turned off by the fact you need to use it with your phone.

10. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

They have something in common: they both are overpriced mass-produced watches. :cool:

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Not really glossing over it. It's just that there are a lot of people on this forum who were just as put off by the need to have the two devices work in tandem.

I think the elders' reaction to that is very understandable given that they clearly haven't had the chance to research the product before they were allowed to try it. Their reactions were quite reasonable given they were just handed the watch and had to react to it without knowing the overall concept in advance.

They are right, the commercials really do not explain the true concept of this watch very well at all. If a person buys this Watch the same way they buy any other product based on a TV ad, they are going to be very dismayed and disillusioned no matter how young they are. It needs to be researched to be understood and appreciated.

At least Apple's Web site offers some explanation and guidance.

12. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

My normal mechanical watches will never be fully replaced by a smart watch. The Apple Watch for sure is far more useful, but there will be situations when I don't want to be wearing something that buzzes with messages all the time, such as a nice dinner or situations where I want to be a bit more conservative.

13. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Let's face it, we're going to see a wide range of reactions depending on how each person looks at watches. For those who see a watch as a precision machine, an heirloom, or a piece of jewelry, the Apple Watch is a tough sell. For those who prioritize the functionality first, but perhaps still want a nice looking watch, the Apple Watch could displace the other watches on those people's wrists. And for a lot of people (like me), it will compel them to wear a watch again for the first time in years.

The Apple Watch will definitely not displace all the Rolexes in the world. But it absolutely will have a big impact.

14. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

It's probably more of an appearance thing at that point then right? Because you can turn off notifications and they'll just get put in the pull-down so you don't have to worry about them while you're at your nice dinner or formal event.

Attached Files:

15. cube macrumors G5

It reminded me of the Texas Instruments watches where you had to press a button for the digits to light up.

16. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Oh, imagine it. A lot of us that own a lot of Apple products (my wife and I each have an iPhone, iPad and Mac), but I would never buy an Apple Watch in its current form. To feminine looking, bezel wastes lots of space, little customization for watch faces, UI is clunky and laggy, way too many issues with this first gen from lifting screens to sticky crowns to tattoo's effecting HR, and it is overpriced for what it provides. And now that Android Wear can be paired with an iPhone, for notifications and alerts, I can use my 360 with my iPhone.

17. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

You're correct, as the Apple Watch keeps far more accurate time than a Rolex.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

You are right. I would not pay for the last even a penny. Never! Never mind thousands.

19. jds4300 macrumors member

Does the Apple Watch levitate too? And read your fortune?

20. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

But you just mentioned them together in the same sentence! Lol.

I love the last guy's comments about old people's attitude towards advancement towards technology.

21. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

That's a pretty stupid question. It's a smart watch. It tells time and relays notifications from a paired iPhone.

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I guess you're in the minority. I just went out to a nice dinner at a very posh restaurant last weekend. This is a place people dress up for dinner. I can't even count how many cell phones were in the hands of people at their dinner table. Times have changed.

----------

Please understand that the post you replied to was obvious sarcasm. :)

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's why you activate the Do Not Disturb feature on your iPhone, which mirrors that to the Watch.

----------

That's still considered low class behavior. High class people make it a point of not using their phones at the dinner table. Just because low class people dress up doesn't make them high class.

24. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

If I wasn't aware of the details of the watch and heard a presentation like that (and let's face it, it was kind of designed to get them all excited and then spring the "catch" on them at the end), I would've reacted the same way. I think it shows that Apple needs to be careful how they market these things.

25. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Well they are both watches, so yes they can be compared, but I agree with you. Why anyone want to compare a Rolex dumbwatch to an Apple smartwatch I will never understand. They are in completely different classes.

Rolex - boring, no notifications, expensive
    AW - engaging, notifications, cheap (in comparision)