The Royal WHAT? (Wedding!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WillEH, May 2, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

So who saw the royal wedding. The common girl, turned in to a princess? I hear many Americans were very excited at the fact that England was getting a new princess.

I myself am not such a big fan of our royal family, the fact they bring lots of tourism to our country is a good thing I suppose.

I did find some interesting facts about my own royal family though. The links to Nazi Germany:

http://american_almanac.tripod.com/naziroot.htm

Also the fact we invited dictators to the wedding: http://www.hindustantimes.com/An-alternative-view-of-the-royal-union/Article1-691444.aspx

Also here in the UK, people were pre-arrested so they would not disturb the royal wedding. Some say it's like the "Minority Report".

Pre crime arrests: http://www.consortiumnews.com/2011/050111a.html (something I agree with)

After all, the royal wedding was a great day for our nation. I hope you all enjoyed it, but I wanted to show some interesting information on the royal family & the wedding.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thank you for posting this. A while back, I dared to ask the question "Why do people in England love the Royal Family so much?" Remembered one answer very well: "Cause they do, what's your problem?" No one really answered it. Royalty seems like such an old-fashioned thing to me, I don't get it. I don't get how people say things like "Well, they do so much for charity, they give so much, etc." And I just think, well, didn't they get everything from the royalty before them that just pretty much stole from the people with outrageous taxes? Maybe you can answer my question....why do people still care about kings and queens and such stuff?

3. WillEH, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Don't be scared to ask questions, you'll always have people who don't agree, and who believe if you don't agree with them, then you're wrong, or if you don't agree with the majority. Take the quote in my sig at face value: To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

It's more of a symbol for England. We're "proud" of royalty. We're proud to be known for something around the world. The royal family have no say with anything that goes on. All power was handed over many years ago.

here are some interesting articles for you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2494523.stm
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread694460/pg1
    http://www.republic.org.uk/What we ...te__year=&date__date__month=&date__date__day=

We have a large number for royalists who love the royal family.

4. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

I know. What is everyone talking about. I mean, it's not like the news talked about anything like that. Maybe I just slept through it or something it would be like 3 AM were I live. ;)

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I can only answer for my own country. "Kingdom of Norway" sounds a lot better than "Republic of Norway". Sounds more stylish, and especially in the Norwegian language. There's a fine line between the terms 'classic' and 'old-fashioned'. Besides, it's better to have a monarch who has been brought up to represent the country, than a president who is hired to do the job for a limited number of years.

I don't like the queen of my country, though. Her name is Sonja, and she's a business-man's daughter who married into the royal family. She totally fits the description that a drunken guardsman recently had written about Kate Middleton on Facebook...

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I also wondered why English people liked the Royal Family so much and its just because they do and are a good family. If the people didn't like them, then they'd probably overthrow them and start their own royal lineup or something, but its been going on for 1000+ years so I guess people just don't mind. Plus, its not like they have much power anyways.

7. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

did it actually matter?

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

america was happy it happened, i watched the wedding and loved it. i got to say the closest thing we came to royalty in america was the Kennedy's and america adored them. Im part English like 15% (mom and grandmother are Daughters of america, im pretty sure they are the ones to greet the queen when she first touches down in america but correct me if im wrong). So i guess my family shares that sense of pride. I was happy to be able to see the future king get married .

9. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

You'd be very surprised. I myself do not care much for the royal family. But a lot of tax payees are unhappy to pay for the royals. But then again, the royals bring more in tourism than we pay out for them. They are far from a good family. For one they don't really do much that effects people, but when they do, it's pretty big. Such as Prince Harry dressing up as a nazi, ect. You could never overthrow the royal family, the protection they have is crazy. I so feel that we're not the kind of country that over throw people these days.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why the Hell would you even suggest such a thing??

11. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    He didn't, wordoflife did... ;)

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But WoL didn't speak of "protection". :p

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So how did the current Royals get into power. Can you trace the blood lines all the way back 1000 years?

I tried tracing things back on wiki but it is so complex that I gave up.

14. Gold89 macrumors 6502

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Anyone who attempted to overthrow the royal family would very quickly find themselves dead and branded a terrorist - we're not living in the middle ages any more ;)

Personally, I dislike the fact that the UK is not a republic and the restrictions having a monarch as head of state brings (e.g no directly elected head of state). I also dislike the fact that our national anthem is about the monarch rather than the country: I love my country but am a republican (with a small R) and therefore never sing the anthem

16. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I like having a Royal Family, but I'm not really a Royalist.

They bring in lots of tourism and interest (I live in London, and Buckingham Palace always has people outside it). I knew someone who joined the Household Calvary and used to guard the Queen.

Some of the events are good- the changing of the guard, honours awards, weddings, coronations etc. The extra bank holidays we get (weddings and jubilees) helps!

Having the Head of State as a ceremonial figure frees up the Prime Minister's time- just send Queenie off on an official state visit. It also provides some continuity amongst the Commonwealth as the Queen is Head of State of many countries.

I just like the tradition. The Monarchy has very little real power now, so I don't see the problem.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

France seems to have a tourism industry (bigger than the U.K.) and I believe has been a republic for some time.

18. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Aye, we English are suckers for tradition! :)

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Actually… no. That is just another myth royalists would want us believe.
    People standing outside of Buckingham palace having their piccies taken means as little as queing for Madame Tussauds waxworks.

Link…
    I probably won't live to see the United Kingdom become the United Republic but I live in hope.

20. iStudentUK, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't get the relevance?

France has points of interest that attract tourists, so does the UK. One of our attractions is the Royal Family.

The Royal Family costs each person 65p per year, which I think is pretty good value. Even if tourists don't spend money directly on the Royal Family they do create interest in London/UK. The Royal Family alone won't attract tourists to fill our hotels, bars and restaurants but neither will Madame Tussauds. We need a collection of attractions to bring people in.

The Royal Family is cheap to keep. I like the tradition of it, from the Palace itself to the silly uniforms the guards wear.

21. garybUK Guest

garybUK

If you don't like it, then you can always go and live in another country!

Personally, I like we have a monarchy, it's the way it's always been and what benefits would being a republic have? It makes no economic nor political sense to change now, it did back in the days when they ruled the land with a iron fist.

The monarchy has done several great things for this country such as the creation of the Church of England, allowing divorce etc.

In modern days you could say they set us apart from other countries, it's a old and long lineage and does create tourism, to an individual I pay more taxes when I fill up my car with petrol than I pay to the royal family.

I'm more concerned with the southern-england centric highly destructive government we have now got.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I understand what you are saying, but personally I object on a point of principle to things such as swearing allegiance to the Queen, the national anthem being about the Queen, or the Queen being head of state.

Royalty is an anachronism in modern society and the fact that we have a Royal Family does restrict our democratic rights (such as not having an elected head of state) and as such is unacceptable in my view.

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:rolleyes:

Yup. All the way back to let's see… 1917 when George Saxe-Coburg und Gotha decided it'd be better to at least pretend they are Brits and changed their name to Windsor.
    Old and long indeed…

Well said.

24. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It doesn't bother me that she is unelected. She is head of state, but that is just a formality. Like I said, it frees up time for the PM. It is very old fashioned, but I like that. It's good to have some "pomp and ceremony". So long as the Crown has no real power and is not a financial burden I'm happy.

I agree with you on the anthem points. I guess that is the only issue for me (I also object to it having God in it). If we changed that I'd be very happy.

If you want to get riled up, I'll tell you that technically speaking nobody in the UK can own land except the Monarch. Strictly speaking, all land belongs to the Crown, buying "Freehold" means you have control over it and can pass it on to your heirs or through your will.